Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: So who is going to Hofstra?  (Read 24251 times)

fooseball22

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: So who is going to Hofstra?
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2005, 12:09:16 PM »
Nice to see someone jostling this post...i went to admitted student day as well.  I thought the facilities were rather dreary, but other than that hofstra seems to be an alright school.   

kdeevers

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2005, 06:14:28 PM »
I went there for a summer real estate course for 3 weeks and the campus looks much different.  I didn't think it was THAT bad for the reception but everywhere pales in comparison to my undergrad campus (UPENN).... You thinking of living on or off campus?

sexonthebeach

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2005, 06:35:58 PM »
I'm starting this fall as well.  I missed the admitted students day; but after visiting the other schools in NYC that I was accepted to, I decided that Hofstra was the best fit for me, in terms of personality of students, etc., etc.  I know that it's slightly uncommon for people to look at law schools in that way, but I know that I would not be happy at a place with super-anal people.  But that just me...whatever works  8)

As for the living, I can't get that excited about the dorm life.  I've had my own apartment for the past two years, after dealing with a crappy situation in undergrad my second year with inconsiderate neighbors who decided that it would be a grand idea to play basketball in the room directly above me.  At 3AM.  On a Monday during finals week.  I hate outside noise and distractions and I'm imagining that this hatred will only grow during law school. 

My parents want me to live on-campus, but I like having my own space.  I also like to cook, and hate eating out on a regular basis, so again, apartment life would be ideal. 

kdeevers

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2005, 10:47:41 PM »
I agree about the housing.  Communal living is not for me.  I didn't do it in college and I can't start now in Law School.  I am looking for off campus housing too.  I've heard that there are some shady areas around tha campus so I'll have to make a few trips before I decide exactly where.  I have also lived by myself for a few years, so I don't know how I would do with a roommate at this point.

I'm so anxious to start already!

fooseball22

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2005, 01:33:07 PM »
I'm super anxious too.  In terms of living, i'm not to crazy about going back to dormlife and i'll be livid if i get stuck with a double.  But, the question is, do you really want to have to worry about food shopping, cleaning, bills, etc. when ur in school?  And, do you want to worry about living in hempstead or commuting?  I'll answer for you, no you do not.  But it all comes down to what's more important to you.  By the way, did you know that the hofstra campus can be considered an aboretum?  Apprently they've extensively invested in various flora.  Go figure. 

kdeevers

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2005, 03:30:53 PM »
I've thought about it, but for me the apartment is really a no brainer.  I know my personality, and that's the only way I can go.  Plus I plan to be working (hopefully) near there or in the city, so it would be easier to not have to worry about housing in the summers.  Plus the thought of moving all my stuff any more than I have to is not appealing to me.  Where are you coming from?

fooseball22

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2005, 04:01:12 PM »
I live in NYC right now, but i'm from long island so i always have home to fall back on in the summers.  If you find a decent place (distance, roomy, not in the ghetto) but need roomates, let me know, i may wanna jet the dorm scene if i get stuck with a double.

linquest

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2005, 04:02:22 PM »
I got waitlisted from Hofstra, so I am withdrawing my app and moving out of state.

If anyone wants my apartment....
Fed gov't atty

kdeevers

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2005, 04:20:58 PM »
OMG yes! Please provide apartment info (I'm unfamiliar with the surrounding areas of Hofstra so any frame of reference (i.e. distance from campus etc. would be helpful).

Fooseball, are you male or female? (Don't think my boyfriend would like me living with a guy....lol)  I'll keep you posted.

JonR0921

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2005, 04:33:36 PM »
OMG yes! Please provide apartment info (I'm unfamiliar with the surrounding areas of Hofstra so any frame of reference (i.e. distance from campus etc. would be helpful).

Fooseball, are you male or female? (Don't think my boyfriend would like me living with a guy....lol)  I'll keep you posted.

Your boyfriend would object to you having a male roommate while you're in law school?  I'm not even going to comment on that...it just amazes me.