Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Any current students out there??  (Read 9952 times)

raeray

• View Profile
Re: Any current students out there??
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2005, 09:43:39 AM »
I have only talked with two students, and both are friends of mine that are close to graduating and love STCL. One took advantage of the study abroad program over the summer and had a blast, the other had really good internships. The students both told me the school has some connections with internships, but that its really kind of on your own to find them unless you are in the top of the class, so that is a downside. I heard though that the professors are all very good and open to helping you. Basically, if you are struggling and willing to stay around late and work, they will help you. It is expensive, and that sucks, but I love houston and live about 45 minutes from the school. Downtown, if you have never been, has its bad parts, but is in improving everyday and has so many options for nightlife, and the beach is not too far away, if you can take the heat and humidity you will like it.My friends both told me the first year is just stressful because you are learning a whole new process of thinking and studying, but after the first year they were able to go out again on the weekends and occasional Thursdays. The class sizes are small, and i have been told you are able to get to know people well. Are you still waiting or have you heard yet? I have a good friend who is still waiting, and she applied in early January. Good Luck. You could call and ask about it?!?!?!

cam108

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2005, 01:05:22 PM »
Hey, I think it's pretty cheap for law school tution! I mean several of the schools I applied to, their tution was like $30,000 a year! Thats one of the reasons, why I like STCL so much because you get a solid program for a lot less compared to most other private law schools. I think STCL's 20,000 a year is a really good deal!  :D
Thats neat, I wasn't aware there were beachs near houston! excuse me if i sound dumb.
Anyhow, I did call towards the end of last month I think it was, and they just told me they would be making decisions until sometime in may. I'm mailing off my Fin aid application today though, so hopefully that will remind them i'm still waiting and very interested. Thanks for  the info. When you mentioned internships were you referring to summer internships or the ones during the school year?
HUSL 1L

raeray

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2005, 02:38:56 PM »
well, yes it is cheap compared to a 30,000 a year school! I was thinking about compared to UH, my only other option if I want to stay in Houston, and I don't think I will get accepted there.
I am not sure what to say about the intern thing, when I asked my friend if the school helped him get an internship he just said that they are helpful, but mostly to the top % of the class, and the rest are kind of on their own, now I don't know how true that is really, it is just one opinion.
As for the beach, Galveston Island is 45 mins away with no traffic from downtown. I go after work a lot, leaving at 5 pm to stay with friends, and I am in the beach house by 6 or 6:15 most the time.
I am going next saturday to the school for a admitted students day, so let me know if you have any specif questions and I can ask, I am thinking up mine already.

cam108

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2005, 02:05:39 AM »
yeah, i applied there as well and got the dreaded WL. I called again today, and was told pretty much I could have a decision as soon as next week or it could be another 4 more weeks! just great. ok thanks, i'll think of a few questions for you to ask.
HUSL 1L

beckerburn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2005, 10:44:58 PM »
i will most likely be attending stcl pending one or two unforseen surprises. finally getting the hell out of la. can anyone tell me how come the school is so d**mn stingy with aid? anyone planning on working during school? thanks and peace

cam108

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2005, 12:30:52 AM »
I thought you couldn't work during the school semester if you're a 1L unless you're part-time. I'm not sure about why they don't give out a lot $$$. Mayhe their alums don't give back to much $$$ to the school or something. who knows. im just glad their tution is under 25k! ;D
HUSL 1L

cam108

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2005, 04:59:12 AM »
For those of you who went, what did you think of the admitted students reception? I've heard lots of positive things so far.

HUSL 1L

raeray

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2005, 10:05:24 AM »
I went to the admitted day, and I was actually very impressed. The school looks not so great on the outside, just a downtown building, but on the inside was very cool. It has a very professional feel to it. They showed us one court room that was just awesome....can't really think of how to describe it, but it was nice. The staff all seems to be open to questions, though I really didn't talk to them in detail about anything. I am really excited about just being involved at the school, sounds like lots to do. It sounds also as if the school also teaches in a practical, hands on way. I am also super excited about summer abroad programs to malta....

cam108

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2005, 07:47:20 PM »
cool! it must be a pretty nice place to attend school. ive nothing but good things regarding STCL. to bad im STILL waiting to hear though. :'(
HUSL 1L

frillgirl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2006, 02:54:25 PM »
Hi, everyone! I'll be attending in the fall, too. I sent in my application Feb 14 and heard back May 2, I believe. I missed out on the new student welcome, I guess. That sucks. I took the LSAT there and the times I've been to the campus I've been very impressed with the helpfulness of the staff. My lawyer had just graduated from STCL and he's one of the reasons I decided to attend law school. I haven't really heard anything too specific.

I like Houston. I've lived here for 18 years. I'm up in Spring now, but I work in Montrose, 3.5 miles away from the school. My boyfriend and I work together, so I'm going to catch the bus from work, which will be much easier and cheaper than trying to park. Downtown has definitely changed over the years, although I don't get down there too much.