Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Social life in law school  (Read 9235 times)

Kelly

• I love the LSAT!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Social life in law school
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2005, 09:32:13 PM »
So what does the social life consist of? bar-hopping, parties at someone house every weekend, etc., OR

weekly dinners where you talk about the law?

I've had no trouble having a social life. People are friendly, always stuff going on, especially first semester. I moved across the country to go to law school but it wasnt long before I'd made plenty of friends and have never lacked for things to do.

My social circle is almost entirely made up of law students, and that is almost the only people I hang out with. Just the way it is, havent had many opportunities to meet other people, though when I start working I should have opportunities, and I have met some friends of friends.

I feel sorry for non-law people who hang out with us. We make terrible law related jokes. Constnatly. Law school has turned us into monsters, unfit for society.

carrie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2005, 09:34:48 PM »
It's hard to have a social life, perfect grades, moot court, law review and work!  Though this is what I want my first year! ::)

Hi, everyone!  I am an udergraduate planning to apply to law schools soon, and I wanted to ask the opinions of some seasoned veterans about what social life is like in law school (if there is any?).  Is it hard to make friends?  Does the competitiveness of law school make people not very friendly?  Do law students usually hang out only with other law students - have their own parties, events - or is there intermingling with other graduates and/or undergraduates at the school?  Is there a lot of gossip, cliques?  What do law students do for fun/rest, if they are not studying?  Feel free to share anything you think might be interesting: anecdotes, comments, comparisons with undergraduate life - I am very interested.

I realize that experiences of people will vary greatly from one law school to another, but it's still interesting to hear what people's experiences out there are.  It would be interesting to know, what school you're attending, but you don't have to say, if you don't want to.  But do mention if you're at a big, medium or small class-size/school.

Thanks a lot to everyone, who replies!

onehandedreader

• Sr. Citizen
  • Balzac, Jaws of Death
    • View Profile
    • how real can one keep it?
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2005, 08:26:02 PM »
my school's not very competitive, so we still have lives.  i don't know anyone that studies friday and saturday unless they've got ocd or need to catch up on something, or if we've got a research/writing project due the next week.  we generally go out partying at least one night a week, either a bar or someone's house. 
the best advice i can give you is try to make at least a few friends that don't go to your law school.  if there's a graduate school on campus or a neighborhood pub you can hang out at, do it.  there's nothing worse than listening to people talk shop because they have nothing else to talk about.
www.antihumanity.com
how real can one keep it?

carrie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2005, 03:12:26 PM »
Very true!

my school's not very competitive, so we still have lives.  i don't know anyone that studies friday and saturday unless they've got ocd or need to catch up on something, or if we've got a research/writing project due the next week.  we generally go out partying at least one night a week, either a bar or someone's house. 
the best advice i can give you is try to make at least a few friends that don't go to your law school.  if there's a graduate school on campus or a neighborhood pub you can hang out at, do it.  there's nothing worse than listening to people talk shop because they have nothing else to talk about.

Kelly

• I love the LSAT!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2005, 03:16:22 PM »
Do you ever have time to chit-chat on the phone with friends?

Kelly

• I love the LSAT!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2005, 03:17:00 PM »
Oh and how long do you spend on the computer checking email and surfing the net?

Brisco

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2005, 03:29:36 PM »
Do you ever have time to chit-chat on the phone with friends?

???  Using a telephone? Are you crazy, this is law school.

NoelleMyBelle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2005, 10:04:19 PM »
Don't be scared...lots of people in law school lie about how much they study. 

Law students tend to hang out with other law students, but here there are happy hours with other graduate students, so you have a chance to meet "outsiders."  There is a law school party just about every weekend.  Most of our 1L class goes out a night or two a week...we always see each other out.

As far as work load...the first couple of months of 1L you work pretty hard because you have no idea what's going on and it's kind of scary.  Once you get used to it, you can relax more until about 2-4 weeks before finals, when you have to really get down to it and study.  Finals make you a zombie.

Even though people exaggerate a lot, it really does take time and adjustment.  One of our professors says that if your family and friends don't feel neglected, you aren't doing it right.  If you make law school your focus, and socialize as necessary to stay sane and maintain important relationships, you'll do fine. 

Lanya

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2005, 05:24:37 AM »
Thanks everyone for the information and insightful ideas.  From reading some other threads I was really beginning to expect my future classmates to steal and hide library books and give out false information now and then to keep their competitors mislead.  I see now that this is most likely not going to be the case, for which I'm grateful.

Please, do share more about your ideas and/or experiences on this matter.  I know that law schools vary a lot from one to another, so hearing the opinions of a bigger variety of people can only be more informative for us, the pre-law students.

Brisco

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2005, 09:11:29 PM »
Isn't it a bit early for you to be preparing for law school?