Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Chat about Coastal  (Read 8212 times)

Gale

• View Profile
Chat about Coastal
« on: March 31, 2005, 12:28:49 PM »
getting this started

Where are the Law Students living?  Anyone need a roomamte?  Where are you all from?

I am from Kansas City MO and looking forward to moving to Florida.

Echos

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Chat about Coastal
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2005, 04:07:37 PM »
I am also considering Coastal.  The more I hear about the school, the more I am convinced that the school and Jacksonville may be a good fit for me.  I would be coming down from Michigan and would also like to hear where people are renting and their thoughts about the school and area.

jeflord

• Fix it!
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - akalakk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2005, 06:03:55 PM »
I just received a relocation guide from Jacksonville today, and have been going over the apartment guide pretty heavily.

Something pretty fun to do is to use the Google map tool http://maps.google.com/ and type Florida Coastal, Jacksonville in.  ONce you get the local map, type in apartments and it shows geographically where they are in relation to the school.

From what I understand a good number of students live in the Southside area of the city.  That's where I'm planning to be.  It is loaded with apartments.

Gale

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2005, 11:53:17 PM »
Have any of you visted the area? I am going down there on the 15, so I will figure alot out then.  What area codes to you mean by south side and how far is it from the school?  I like the looks and stats on Jacksonville except it has high crime rates, you can only tell so much on the internet though, I am looking forward to a visit.  Have you found any particularly interesting websites on Jacksonville or the school?  The google site was real helpfull.

balki424

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2005, 11:27:38 AM »
I was there this past weekend.  The area is really nice.  I am looking for a roommate as well. 21/f smoker, if anyone is interested.

jeflord

• Fix it!
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - akalakk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2005, 03:52:58 PM »
Have any of you visted the area? I am going down there on the 15, so I will figure alot out then.  What area codes to you mean by south side and how far is it from the school?  I like the looks and stats on Jacksonville except it has high crime rates, you can only tell so much on the internet though, I am looking forward to a visit.  Have you found any particularly interesting websites on Jacksonville or the school?  The google site was real helpfull.

I went down a couple of weeks ago.  The Southside area is on the east side of the St. Johns River south of Beach Blvd and west of University of North Florida.  It is a great area in terms of neighborhoods and proximity to supermarkets, restaurants, etc.

The best thing I have found is the relocation guide from Jax Chamber of Commerce.  It includes a current apartment guide which you can then check against the google map thing.

The crime aspect worries me too.  I have been reading the Jax Times Union site every day at www.jacksonville.com and there is always a murder or something.  Statistics say that you are more likely to be killed by someone you know, so I'll just keep a close eye on my wife once we move and I should be ok. ;D

stefaniebeach

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2005, 12:28:50 PM »
I am from Jacksonville.  I volunteered at Duval County Teen Court at FCSL in high school.  The crime stats are nothing to worry about.  Most crime occurs at night in areas of town most residents don't go near (such as downtown, the northside and the westside).  ***You'll get used to the areas of town really fast once you get there.

Going to FCSL I would suggest living on the Southside because that's where the school is located.  Area communities include: Mandarin, Riverside, the Beaches and Arlington.  All of these areas are safe.  You can check out apartments near the University of North Florida because it is 15 minutes away from FCSL and they cater to college students.  The nice thing about UNF is that it is a commuter school so the students it brings in are not as crazy as those at most colleges.

If you have any more questions about Jax the city I can answer them.

***Sorry if sig looks weird, trying to get it to work.
Stefanie C. Beach
FAMU School of Law
Class of 2008

Sparty

• "You can't beat it"
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2005, 03:47:18 PM »
   I cannot say too many good things about Jacksonville and FCSL.  Of course, FCSL is no Harvard, but Y'll know that coming in (I am practicing my Y'll).  The school is very student orientated.  Teacher evaluations count for quite a bit.  I am a 1L and I have already learned all kinds of law. yada yada yada. 
   As for the city, I love it.  I moved down from Michigan and have been completely happy with everything except the sports.  These fans cannot compare to Detroit fans.  I can't reccomend enough that everyone should live by the beach.  If you live west of the intercoastal "the ditch" you are in anytown USA.  My roomate and I pay $450/m including water.  Power is about $25/m.  THis is less than all my friends who listened to the school and did not live by the beach.  My commute is only 25-30 on morning and evening rush.  (A.M. morning show 104.5 especially on Fri "DBF"--> you will find out).  Neptune beach is great, it is very quiet (I am the loudest in my neighborhood), I am a block and a half from my private beach (there is no public parking for a mile in either direction)and everybody is so nice (All my gas station people, store clercks and bartenders are all on first name basis with almost everybody).  This is a great place to live.  If you are looking out here, contact me if you would like.  Two of my neighbors are moving in July and that opens up the downstairs of my place (2bd)(450x2) and the (1bd)(500) across the courtyard behind me.
   Next up, crime...what crime?  I have seen one instance of violent crime and that was over the superbowl, downtown at around 2am.  In fact, it was the victims own fault (drunk and mouthing off).  I have not lived in a safer place in recent memory.  Locking cars and appts. is completely optional.  I have never had a problem.  Even downtown, I have walked around dressed nicely with guys and/or girls and have always felt completely safe.  They  don't even have fights in bars here.  i have been a bit of a rockstar since I have been down here and I have witnessed zero fights.  I was bartending outside of Detroit and if we did not have a fight over the whole weekend I marked my calandar.  Basically, if you have a good head on your shoulders, there is no crime.
   I recomend this place to everybody, contact me if you would like.

Nick
WHY?

mindbeast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2005, 05:03:57 PM »
Sparty,

I am so glad you enjoy our city! I get tired of out-of-towners claiming we are Rednecks.

So how is FCSL??  And why come to this school?

Everyone,

How does FCSL rate with local law firms??

I am a native here in Jax and I am considering FSU or FCSL, but I would prefer to stay in Jax because I have a nice big house near the water.

Thanks,

Russell

antwan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2005, 02:47:52 PM »
 I just put a deposit on an apartment in what I believe is the "Intracoastal" area (Mariner's Club appts. on San Pablo Road). The place is a little pricy for the area (735 a month) but its beautiful. Im coming from NJ and am pretty happy about moving to Jax. I have some reservations about job prospects coming out of FCSL but hopefully that will motivate me to work hard. From what I understand orientation is highly reccomended and begins on the 15th or 16th. The facilities arent nearly as bad as I had heard. Very clean and modern. Just not like a traditional college campus. If anyone has any q's can email me at avecchio@eden.rutgers.edu