Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Any thoughts on Toledo?  (Read 22596 times)

mcramer

• Me 2005
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Any thoughts on Toledo?
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2005, 05:50:54 PM »
Cheers to the PT! I drive a silver PT crusier at home, but will be renting a car this weekend since I am flying in from DC. I could shoot for 11 am as well...I'l look for you all.

Frappe

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2005, 07:05:28 PM »
So, what did you guys think of the picnic? 

Hotel Yorba

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2005, 10:14:49 PM »
It was good to meet a few of you from LSD face to face, I hope you enjoyed the picnic.  I went to a going away party for a friend Thursday and stayed out late, so I arrived right at 11:30 and didn't stay too long since I had already toured the facility.  The food was good, meeting a few LSD'ers was cool, and the professor who sat with us seemed decent.  I spent most of my day driving around looking at appartments untill the rental offices closed at 5:00.  I am looking for something fairly close.  Sylvania is about as far away as I want to be, and I was looking mostly in areas to the west of UT.  I want a two bedroom for less than 550 and preferably closer to 450 or 500.  I need a place that accepts a cat and I found a few.  Kenwood was OK, but not great, Hunt Club was also only OK, and a little to far for just OK.  Hampshire was also in that OK category (very cheap, but very small) but I am considering this one since $415 is hard to beat and I AM ON A BUDGET, and furthermore the area seemed good and it was fairly close to campus.  Most of the ones I really liked are closer to 600 and I would like ro live a little cheaper, at least for this first year.  If anyone has suggestions on where to look I would love to hear them, good luck to all future UT'ers and I'm sure I'll see more of you soon.

Paperback Writer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2005, 12:37:56 PM »
I was away on business in Los Angeles.

Please update me on the BBQ.

Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2005, 03:17:43 PM »
I thought there would be more to the BBQ, but I'm glad that I went. It started off with the Dean giving a little speech in the auditorium (which I missed) followed by a Q&A session. Nothing really earth shattering, but Dean Closius seemed to have a great sense of humor.
This was followed by lunch outside. The food was decent, and the weather couldn't have been any better. Thank God it didn't rain. It was nice to chat with Hotel Yorba and Comm-Law, and meet a few other future students.  The two professors that I met were very down to earth, too. I met Carol in person for the first time, and got a chance to sit down with Anna from financial aid, both positive experiences. I'm set for housing, so I didn't deal with any of the apartment people set up around the building. All in all, it was a good day (and not just because I got a day off work). ;)

Goldy

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2005, 03:58:22 PM »
I am just finishing up my first year at Toledo. I am enjoying it. The city has nice parts and not so nice parts like any city. The professors are very helpful and the classes are good sizes.The classrooms are nice, all set up with smartboards. So I would recommend the place.

Hotel Yorba

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2005, 06:23:46 PM »
Goldy, I am looking for an appartment, could you elaborate on some of the nicer areas to live affordably and within 5 miles of campus or so.  Any info or comments would be greatly appreciated.  Congrats on finishing that first year, glad to hear you enjoyed it.

Goldy

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2005, 08:56:03 AM »
I live in a place that is pretty plain, but I like it because the rent is cheap. $395 per month. But you have to pay for electricity and gas. Also it is about 3 minutes away from campus. My friend lives about 10 minutes away in a much nicer (has washer and dryer in each apartment instead of just each apartment building) But I cannot remember the name of it.  There are also some nice apartments about 20 minutes away.
As for grades, it took almost a month, but I did fine.
We just had our dean demoted to professor, but it is supposedly not performance based. Just that they could not agree on a contract, so his deanship was not renewed.
Good Luck to those coming to Toledo this fall.

Paperback Writer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2005, 09:17:20 AM »
I live in a place that is pretty plain, but I like it because the rent is cheap. $395 per month. But you have to pay for electricity and gas. Also it is about 3 minutes away from campus. My friend lives about 10 minutes away in a much nicer (has washer and dryer in each apartment instead of just each apartment building) But I cannot remember the name of it.  There are also some nice apartments about 20 minutes away.
As for grades, it took almost a month, but I did fine.
We just had our dean demoted to professor, but it is supposedly not performance based. Just that they could not agree on a contract, so his deanship was not renewed.
Good Luck to those coming to Toledo this fall.

I don't know if the academic world is different from the corporate world, but that sounds like a demotion and not a contract dispute.

Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2005, 10:58:26 AM »
Deans to return to UT faculty
By MarCom Staff
Jun 2, 2005

Dr. David Stern, dean of the UT College of Arts and Sciences, and Phillip Closius, dean of the UT College of Law, will return to the instructional faculty spring semester 2006.

“Their positive contributions to both their colleges and the University have been many, and I want to extend my thanks to them for their service as deans,” said Dr. Alan Goodridge, provost and executive vice president for academic affairs and enrollment services.

Closius has served as dean of the College of Law since 1999, and Stern has been dean of the College of Arts and Sciences since 2000.

Goodridge said searches for new deans would begin after June 30.