Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Any thoughts on Toledo?  (Read 23043 times)

Rocketman

• View Profile
Any thoughts on Toledo?
« on: March 31, 2005, 10:26:19 AM »
Any current students willing to share their thoughts on the school or answer questions?

Ladybuglaw05

• GPA: 3.21 LSAT: 156
    • View Profile
Re: Any thoughts on Toledo?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2005, 10:55:10 AM »
Yeah... The school's dropped in its rankings (which aren't ever likely to increase significantly) and it is in a really crappy city.  My friend graduated from Toledo law, and instead of practicin law he is now a highschool Spanish teacher.  If you have options, don't go.

Rocketman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2005, 11:07:23 AM »
Really? Hmmm. I heard the Dean has really been trying improve their rankings over the past 5 years or so, going from 4th tier to 2nd tier and then dropped back to the 3rd tier. I thought it was common for schools to bounce around a bit.  What makes you say they'll never bounce back up?

I'm more concerned with how students like it and info like that.  Your friend who's now teaching spanish, is it because they couldn't find a job when they graduated from UT?

thanks for any input.

Ladybuglaw05

• GPA: 3.21 LSAT: 156
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2005, 09:12:58 PM »
The school is nice & the on campus environment is okay (I know a 1L attending now), but the city is not a very nice place to live.  It is a great place for undergrad.  If you want to stay in Toledo after graduation you'll find a job, but it is very hard to get a job outside of Toledo (even in Columbus and Cincy where the job markets and quality of living are better).  My friend worked in Toledo for a while, but when he wanted leave the Toledo area he could not find decent employment.  From what I hear that is not an isolated example.  Also, I don't mean to offend anyone attending UT, T2 is great and I'm sure they can enter the bottom 100 again, but it won't improve betond that.

Hotel Yorba

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2005, 01:40:02 AM »
I was originally headed to PSU, but decided to go to Toledo for the in-state tuition (I'm from Michigan).  Toledo is a grat school, good profs, small classes, great campus.  I admit the city sucks a little, but if you look hard enough for a job and don't finish in the bottom 1/4 of your class you'll be fine.  My cousing went to Toledo and he did fine comming out of there.  Initially he went to the Upper Peninsula (MI) to work for a prosecutors office.  He now has his own practice, makes pretty decent money, already paid for his house, makes his own schedule, never working during deer season etc.  He has quite the life and several of his class mates went out of state with their UT degrees.  Of course he was smart and probably did well in his class, not Law Review though.  I think the regional sh!t is way overblown on this board.  It totally depends on the person.  If you don't work to make contacts and look a little harder for a job of course you'll end up in the same city at any school below USNWR #40.  As for working as a teacher after law school that means the person wants to do that or is a little pathetic.  For sh!t's sake even Cooley grads find work for 40-50K.  This person may have their head deposited in their asspipe to be teaching after getting a JD from a very good T3 school.  You were right in that I doubt Toledo will go much above 80 or 90 though, rankings just don't change that much, and they have to deal with people being like - Toledo WTF?  But rankings are BS anyway, look at what happened to good schools like Detroit College of Law and Dickinson, they were forced to find a Big 10 name to help them out.  Toledo will never find this, but they are well respected in Ohio and SE Michigan.  Regardless with a little effort you can take MOST JD's anywhere, except, the big markets ARE tough to crack - NYC, DC, Chicago, maybe a few others.

BarryDingle

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2005, 10:23:15 AM »
What is wrong with the city? I have never been there.  I got a full ride there so I'm thinking about going.   Are there places to live around the school?  I don't care about working in New York, and anyone who does well will get a good job in Ohio.  I am just curious if anyone knows what Toledo life is like.

jamie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2005, 10:57:18 AM »
I'm from Toledo originally and my dad went to UT law.  He has a great job.  The city itself is ok, it is more of a family place than a fun place for young people.  There is stuff to do though, so I don't want to mislead you.  There are some fun bars and really good restaurants (including some new ones down near the new Mud Hens baseball stadium downtown) around town.  Toledo also has a great art museum and one of the best zoos in the country (who would have thought?).  Also, they just built the new baseball stadium a year or two ago and it is supposedly the nicest minor league ballpark in the U.S.

The area around the University is really nice and safe.  There are also bad/rundown parts of town, but you will find that in any city.  The suburbs are great too, if you ever want to stay there and raise a family.

I would seriously consider going there if I got a full ride.  I'm applying in the next cycle.

Hope this helps

BarryDingle

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2005, 11:33:56 AM »
Thanks for the info.  I'm glad to hear the campus area is decent.  From what people were saying I thought it may be like Akron or something.  I have a cousin that went there and he is corporate counsel for Wal-Mart, so it is possible to get a great job.

Hotel Yorba

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2005, 04:38:22 PM »
I am going to visit on the May 27 admitted students day.  My cousin (1990 grad) really liked the area.  He said the area around the University is safe and quite nice.  I live less than two hours away and may check it out sooner, if so I'll post something.

Rocketman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2005, 01:47:27 PM »
Yeah, I have to agree with you guys that Toledo seems a decent school with a good rep.  I've decided I'm going.