Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Mercer Class of 2008  (Read 7528 times)

bacchus

• View Profile
    • Email
Mercer Class of 2008
« on: March 29, 2005, 12:01:49 PM »
I'm going to Mercer in the fall.  Just curious if any one else out there is.
A zen philosopher once said, "A flute with no holes is not a flute, a doughnut with no hole is a danish"

Roper

• View Profile
Re: Mercer Class of 2008
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2005, 01:05:58 AM »
Just found out today, oops yesterday now, I'll be there.

glamourgirlasc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2005, 12:30:51 AM »
I'll see you both there! :D

bacchus

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2005, 04:02:41 PM »
Have y'all figured out where you're going to live?
A zen philosopher once said, "A flute with no holes is not a flute, a doughnut with no hole is a danish"

Roper

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2005, 05:31:54 PM »
I have lived here for 5+ years.  Got my undergrad here.  Hubby and I bought a house last year.  Planning to live there! :)  If you have any questions, though I might be able to help.

glamourgirlasc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2005, 12:14:38 AM »
Not quite yet-I've been talking to some people about it, but I plan to visit places in May. Roper-where do you recommend living? I hear good things about North Macon, and a friend (potential roommate) was telling me about these duplexes behind Mercer. What's your opinion on those? Are they safe?

Safety is a concern; price isn't as much. I've been living in the Atlanta market, and a nice one bedroom is substantially less in Macon. From what you've seen, where do most law students live? Also, are many of the students married, or do they live at home with their families? Just curious about the singleton statistics ;)

Roper

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2005, 09:33:44 AM »
Some of the duplexs, etc. around the law school are great.  However, with Macon you have good neighborhoods very close to not so good ones.  While I really like some of the stuff downtown, I would live in North Macon and drive the extra 10-15 min.  Colonial Properties has a few complexs, I used to live in one out in a golf community, Barrington Hall.  Little price but really nice.(they are doing a ton of construction/development out this way now.  Major traffic.)  They have another out Riverside Drive, I think it is Colonial at Spring Creek.  They seem to be one of the larger companies and pretty much have their stuff together.  They allow pets with a deposit too.  My house is in the "midtown" area.  there are a few cheaper apts. there, but usually pretty small companies.
I've been to an Open House, etc. at the law school and have a lot of friends there.  Majority of students are single for the most part.  Think I will be the minority there.

MercerLaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2005, 03:31:34 PM »
         For what it is worth...I agree completely with Roper about the duplexes around the lawschool and also about there being great neighborhoods next to bad ones. I'm a 1L and live right next to the school on Bond St. I pay $350/mo for my share of a 3BR/4BA with 3 fireplaces and a great front porch. In fact I met my roommate on a board like this last year.I have absolutely loved living here as I get to walk to school (Mercer's parking can be a little frustrating at the beginning of the semester when everyone makes all their classes) and I am close to downtown and plenty of eateries. My only gripe about where I live is that last August about 8 cars were broken into, including mine, over a two week period. The police eventually got the trash that did it and we haven't had a bit of problem since. However, before I scare you off from living downtown because of this...property crime is unfortunately everywhere in Macon. It doesn't matter if you live downtown or midtown. About the only place you will escape it is if you live in certain parts of North Macon or "the county." No matter where you live my advice is to buy a car alarm if you don't have one. Although I can't promise an alarm will stop your car from getting broken into, it will likely make the piece of trash trying to take your stereo look for an easier target.My experience is that even the north Macon apartment complexes have property crime. Someone mentioned Colional Properties. I have a few friends that live at them and their only real substantive complaint is that repairs are very slow in being completed. Maybe that has to do with the change in management I heard they went through, or maybe not.
    Now for the great things about Macon. It has an absolutely beautiful downtown and the Maconites for the most part are some of the friendliest people I have met. Most of a law student's time will be spent devoted to school but Macon does have a few places where us law students go to hangout. Also, if you like the outdoors Macon has some of the best bass fishing in GA and is close to plenty of places to hike or camp (only a 2.5 hr drive to Blue RIdge).
    The best way to look for law student housing around the school is to drive around and look for signs in the front yard saying For Rent. The interior of each house can greatly vary in size and amenities so I highly suggest taking a tour b/f signing any lease. FYI, the house next door to me has a 1BR/1BA apartment that will be going on the market soon and will not last long. The current lease ends in early June if anyone is interested. If so, let me know and I will put you in touch with the 3L living there.
     I'm happy to try and answer any questions anybody has about anything. Just please be patient with me as I only get on here every few days since finals are two weeks away. Good luck everybody and congrats on your acceptance! 

catl26

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2005, 07:30:38 PM »
I'll see you there too!

Thanks for all the housing information - it's very helpful!

~ Cat

CatLawler@gmail.com

chattyliz501

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2005, 12:22:06 PM »
Hello all.  MercerLaw, do you live with other law students?  A few people have told me it might be difficult to do that, but Cat and another girl and I have talked about living together, and I think it would be fun.  What do you think?