Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone attending Stetson out there??  (Read 14953 times)

ndiver

• 3.34 (4.0), 151
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone attending Stetson out there??
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2005, 04:43:51 PM »
Let me know if there are any specific question(s)and I will be more than happy to find some answers this weekend. My family and I are going down on Sat and returning on Mon. so I will have ample time to check out the area and the school.

kvdubb, I have requested a spot on the waitlist for Stetson "housing." From what she told me, it is very difficult to score a place unless you are married and have a kid. She told me that since I fit that class I MIGHT have a chance. If not, I will most likely find some other place to rent.

HTH
Accepted: Stetson
Rejected:UC Boulder, UGA, UTK, Georgia State, Hofstra, Santa Clara, Temple
Pending: Mercer

kvdubb

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2005, 06:52:51 PM »
I put myself on that waitlist as well!  Unfortunately i am neither marriend or with children  ;) so i dont think i will make it into U. housing.  I will be down in early May to look for a place to live. I am planning to buy a condo. With some luck i'll find somewhere not too far from the school.  Let me know how your weekend goes, I cant think of any questions off the top of my head, but would love to hear how your weekend went. 

ruskiegirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2005, 11:00:22 PM »
I put myself on that waitlist as well!  Unfortunately i am neither marriend or with children  ;) so i dont think i will make it into U. housing.  I will be down in early May to look for a place to live. I am planning to buy a condo. With some luck i'll find somewhere not too far from the school.  Let me know how your weekend goes, I cant think of any questions off the top of my head, but would love to hear how your weekend went. 

You can get a 1 BD condo in the area for less than 100k.  My mom is a real estate agent and she just sold one for that price.  If you're looking for something larger, 2 BD/3 BA homes (new ones) for for around 200k in some areas. 

PM me if you would like more info or if you want to get her contact info (it's free to have a buyer's agent).

Stetson is an awesome school in a beautiful location. Congrats! It broke my heart to give up my admission and scholarship offer and to leave sunny Florida. :'(

cam108

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2005, 01:45:33 PM »
For all of you've been accepted, what does their acceptance mailing look like?
HUSL 1L

gusrip98

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2005, 05:57:42 PM »
For all of you've been accepted, what does their acceptance mailing look like?

It was in a larger envelope...bigger than a reg. business envelope, but not 8.5x11.
"Never stole a horse from someone I didn't like"

kvdubb

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2005, 10:28:38 PM »
How was the weekend?

cam108

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2005, 12:42:57 AM »
yeah, im curious to know as well  :D
HUSL 1L

ndiver

• 3.34 (4.0), 151
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2005, 07:34:16 PM »
How was the weekend?

I spent the weekend at Stetson with my wife and 1 month-old baby boy and I must say that we are thoroughly impressed... with the school anyway!

The open house was on Sat. and it lasted from ~9:30 until 4:00pm. They mostly talked about stuff that you can find in any information booklet, but then they opened the floor up to a student panel and they shared their perspectives and experiences.

If you are looking for a diverse institution, then Stetson is ther place to be. I'm sure every law school has their fair share of interesting students, but I saw some very interesting people from ALL walks of life, including a military chaplain who is 43 yrs old. There seems to be quite a few non-trads and, for the most part, everyone seems really happy.

Of particular noteworthiness is the fact that not only is Stetson #1 (tied) in the nation for trial advocacy, but they just beat Columbia in the World Championship trip to the "Final Four," where they beat the team that beat Harvard and ffinally beat the UNiversity of Vienna (in Vienna) to become the trial advocacy WORLD CHAMPIONS!!!! I think this is significant since it is this program that has been most appealing to me as a prospective student.

It is a very beautiful campus ( I will post pics later) and it is extremely convenient and simple to navigate. I have read this before but the staff was VERY helpful and willing to assist me in an almost overly helpful manner.

I spent some time there on Monday, when all of the students would be there, and I was able to meet a few contacts and a handful of 1Ls. I picked their brains and the following is a list of advice and its respective frequency:

- Do NOT take a Law School prep class - ALL (~20)
- Learn how to type (5)
- Read the recommended reading (2)
- Absolutely nothing (~19)

There is more to come later, but i have to tend to my baby

HTH
Accepted: Stetson
Rejected:UC Boulder, UGA, UTK, Georgia State, Hofstra, Santa Clara, Temple
Pending: Mercer

cam108

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2005, 08:05:27 PM »
thanks for insight. Stetson is starting to sound better and better each time someone mentions it! now if only i had my acceptance in hand! :-\
HUSL 1L

gusrip98

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2005, 11:02:27 PM »
Thanks for the feedback!!

I have to agree with you about the campus.  I am not easily impressed, but that is one of the few places I have been where the pics are not better.
"Never stole a horse from someone I didn't like"