Author Topic: Dogs  (Read 1639 times)

JackInTheBox

• Sr. Citizen
  • Eggnog and Pumpkin Pie Shakes Make Me In The Box
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Dogs
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2005, 04:34:38 PM »
Recently (about a month ago) I got a black lab mix from the animal shelter. Now, he's 14 weeks old, and continues to be a handful. I'm extremely worried about taking care of him and balancing law school because he needs so much attention. I've found that in the month I've had him - I haven't been able to do everything that I've wanted to do - workout, read in peace, etc. I'm just hoping that he'll calm down in the next few months - even though I doubt that. Also, I've signed him up for puppy classes starting next Saturday - to get the biting, chewing, and barking under control. Has anyone here had a puppy when starting law school? Any suggestions?

I am in the same situation, as posted earlier.  Year old terrier, abandoned.  I have had to potty train her, which is still in the works (she soaked my bed the other night with urine after a week of no accidents).  The potty training doesn't bother me as much as the attention she requires (and deserves); I work now, and don't have enough time for her...can't imagine law school where the schedule will be worse.

So, I'm in the same shoes; I hope she will calm in the next two months or I might have to find a new home for her.  I'm becoming attached too, which makes it all the more painful.  My schedule won't allow for an obedience class either...

duvimom

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2005, 05:01:59 PM »
We have a 1 1/2 year old Scottish Terrier. Terriers are REALLY strong minded--but worth it all, without a doubt. Get some help with training, especially learn about crates! Our puppy loves his crate (it's like a den) and we all get some quiet time when he's there. And remember,  you're in charge. If you ignore him consistently when he bugs you, and give him lots of love when he does pester, he'll quickly get the idea and let you study. You've got a good block of time between now and the Fall, and terriers learn quickly, once they know you're serious. AND be consistent.
Good luck. I'm sure you'll be very happy to have a friendly non-judgemental being to be happy to see you every time you walk in the door! I know our puppy sure helps me stay sane!

duvimom

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2005, 07:54:26 PM »
Attention when he DOESN'T pester, is what I meant!

Wild Jack Maverick

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I think I know the formula..."
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2005, 07:40:23 AM »
Thank goodness for dogs. I almost always have one, but I can't afford one now. (What a life, no spouse, no significant other, and no dog? I think that is the recipe for stress, anxiety, depression or other mental disturbances.)

Fortunately, a friend of mine is now loaning me one of his dogs. A mini-schnauzer is absolutely the best medicine.
  :D
"I enjoy being in school. I've learned so much already, with taking economics and law, and I have marketing and statistics coming up next."