JackInTheBox

• Sr. Citizen
  • Eggnog and Pumpkin Pie Shakes Make Me In The Box
    • View Profile
    • Email
Dogs
« on: March 28, 2005, 12:16:40 AM »
Friends (anyone watch Nancy Grace?),

I have a young dog I just recently got because I didn't think I was going to law school this coming fall.  To my utter amazement, the Air Force approved my request for an early out, and now I am (terrified) going in the fall.

My predicament is this dog is hyper as can be.  I find it challenging to read leisure reading in my home because it is constantly vying for my attention.  I have grown rather attached to the dog.

My priority is to do the absolute best I can in law school.  Should I give up the dog (to a good home, of course) or am I making too big a deal about it? 

Boxergirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • gpa 3.45/lsat 156
    • View Profile
Re: Dogs
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2005, 12:55:24 AM »
I personally could NOT handle law school WITHOUT my dog...it is SUCH a relief to walk in and see him....and spend time with him at the dog park, doing something non-law related...he's a great companion to have....But i can't speak for your relationship with your dog.  Personally, i study most often at home,....however, I know that the majority of students at my school study at the library...Maybe you should just plan on studying at the library, but spending a good hour or two with your dog after classes before going to the library in teh evening.

zemog

• Sr. Citizen
  • Evening PT 2L at a third tier toilet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2005, 02:33:45 AM »
I second that I could not part with my dog. They are like children. 

stangjunky77

• MSN Messenger - gohuskersfan@msn.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - stangjunky77@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2005, 02:43:38 AM »
i agree w/ the others. just wondering how old is the dog and what breed? cuz i have the most hyper/ friendly chihuahua in the entire world. but you learn to just block the little squirt out after a while of studying. (actually helps your concentration level) then as he has gotten older around 1 yr in his case he figured out the no matter how he tried to get my attention while studying i wouldnt give in so he goes and chews on a bone or what not.
wait as im writing this he is chewing another highlighter and my post it notes.

but he is my buddy and is a great stress reliever. as mentioned above its nice to get and take him for a walk and not have to think about school.
UGPA 3.51 (3.74) LSAT (none)

sita

• AOL Instant Messenger - sita25p
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2005, 09:27:51 AM »
I agree that life in general is better with my dog.  What training have you gone through with your dog?  I have a hyper dog as well but through obedience training I have learned how to manage her better.  You can teach your dog that play time, pet time is on your schedule not the dogs.  Needless to say I do spoil my little girl but when I need to do something else (like clean, study, have company over) she is requried to have manners.

jpelt

• Blueman and Me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2005, 10:12:50 AM »
Like everyone else, I agree that dogs are great.  Our adorable black lab has been my companion during my husband's medical school days and now as he starts his residency internship and I start law school I know she'll continue to be my best friend and companion.  It is so nice to know someone will be waiting for you when you get home, and someone to hang out at my feet when I am studying.  And, (depending on what kind of dog you have) they are the best work out partners - she never complains about how early we have to get up!

I suggest some good obedience training and a little TLC.  I really don't think you will regret it.

duma

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2005, 02:44:56 PM »
I have a very active lab (see avatar), who likes allot of attention to. All I have to do is take her on a long walk in the morning, and she will leave me alone while I read. If you have a fenced in yard, it is even easier. The point being, there is always a way to keep your dog, and go to law school. School is a major part of your life, but don't let it take over your life. Keep the dog, it will save your sanity later.

JackInTheBox

• Sr. Citizen
  • Eggnog and Pumpkin Pie Shakes Make Me In The Box
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2005, 03:13:18 PM »
Thanks for your replies.  The overwhelming consensus is encouraging.  My dog is a 1 year old terrier mutt who was abandoned.  So, she is still struggling with housetraining and has not been given any prior obedience training.  I would hate to give her up, and the way law school is hyped to be, it sounded like I would barely have time to sleep, let alone spend with a dog.

Thanks for your encouragement.

rapunzel

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2005, 09:51:36 PM »
I don't have a dog, I have a lot of cats.  Between them and my spouse I can't study at home.  I study at school and treat it just like a workday.  I'm with all the dog lovers- keep your pet.  She'll make sure you get some exercise.  Plus I think having another heartbeat around is good for personal happiness levels. 

I would think a consistant routine and some training is in order.  The rest of the dog's life will be better (as will yours) when she learns to mind her ps and qs.  You have a few months to help facilitate that.

Law school takes a lot of concentrated energy, but there is no reason to be overly nervous.  Most people manage to do their best and have a life outside.

yuplawyup

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2005, 11:31:29 AM »
Recently (about a month ago) I got a black lab mix from the animal shelter.  Now, he's 14 weeks old, and continues to be a handful.  I'm extremely worried about taking care of him and balancing law school because he needs so much attention.  I've found that in the month I've had him - I haven't been able to do everything that I've wanted to do - workout, read in peace, etc.  I'm just hoping that he'll calm down in the next few months - even though I doubt that.  Also, I've signed him up for puppy classes starting next Saturday - to get the biting, chewing, and barking under control.  Has anyone here had a puppy when starting law school?  Any suggestions?