Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Should I take an Logic course? Yes or No?  (Read 2313 times)

Kelly

• I love the LSAT!!!
    • View Profile
Should I take an Logic course? Yes or No?
« on: March 27, 2005, 11:04:24 PM »
Well I'm re-taking the LSAT (for all of you who didn't know) and am highly considering this June or maybe..... October.  Not sure yet!

I took a prep course which I didn't find that useful.  I'm considering taking an Intro to Logic course.  Has anyone taken one and did you find it worthwhile?
What do you think? Should I take one?  OR should I just learn logic on my own?

presbylex

• View Profile
Re: Should I take an Logic course? Yes or No?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2005, 05:43:31 PM »
I took Logic as part of my undergrad Philosphy curriculum - and it was surprising how helpful it was to if p then q the logic questions on the LSAT.  That said, only take a class if you think you'd like it - it's kind of like taking a math course.

Kelly

• I love the LSAT!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2005, 07:08:28 PM »
Hmmm.... so I wonder if I should go for it.  I assume it wouldn't matter if I took at my undergrad institution or at a community college nearby.

I took Logic as part of my undergrad Philosphy curriculum - and it was surprising how helpful it was to if p then q the logic questions on the LSAT.  That said, only take a class if you think you'd like it - it's kind of like taking a math course.

stangjunky77

• MSN Messenger - gohuskersfan@msn.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - stangjunky77@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2005, 04:38:35 AM »
i also took a logic course as an undergrad and found it absolutely useless. perhaps like every other course in college it depends on the prof and the book. in my case both were useless. from my logic course experience i dont see how it could possibly help with the LSAT except for in logic stuff u must read very carefully.
UGPA 3.51 (3.74) LSAT (none)

sotsoj

• 2.34 GPA /166 LSAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2005, 10:37:27 AM »
If you do take a logic course, think about taking an introductory course in symbolic logic.  Symbolic logic is the more math-like type, and it can be a little freaky to look at, but it isn't any harder than a high school math class.  The majority of what you'll learn won't be directly applicable to the LSAT, but the process of learning to transcribe natural language into symbols that can be governed by formal rules helps you think more clearly.  That skill makes it easier to separate the structure of an argument from the content, and I found that helpful on the LSAT. 
Going to George Mason
sotsoj on LSN

Kelly

• I love the LSAT!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2005, 07:50:27 PM »
Okay, I will.  What would it be called though?  I haven't seen anything listed as "symbolic logic."

If you do take a logic course, think about taking an introductory course in symbolic logic.  Symbolic logic is the more math-like type, and it can be a little freaky to look at, but it isn't any harder than a high school math class.  The majority of what you'll learn won't be directly applicable to the LSAT, but the process of learning to transcribe natural language into symbols that can be governed by formal rules helps you think more clearly.  That skill makes it easier to separate the structure of an argument from the content, and I found that helpful on the LSAT. 

Lanya

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2005, 05:44:50 PM »
At my school, the course was just listed as "logic" or "elementary logic."  But if you read the course description, it would mention symbolic logic in the description.  So look for that.  The course will probably be offered in the Philosophy department.

At my university, they also offer a course entitled "Practical Reasoning," which is also a logic course, but it's different from the symbolic logic - sort of prior to symbolic logic logic - they only do a little of symbolic logic towards the end.  However, in that course there's a lot of problem solving, very much like the ones on the logic part of the LSAT.  I never took that course, but people who have, told me that it was extremely helpful in preparing for the LSAT.  So keep an eye out for something like that at your school too.

Ladybuglaw05

• GPA: 3.21 LSAT: 156
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2005, 10:51:22 AM »
I took Intro. to Logic & Critical Thinking (which sound like the equivalents of your courses).  I believe that Logic was more relevant to the LSAT, altough everything I learned in Critical Thinking was covered, to some extent, in Logic.  If you're able to I would recommend taking both, but if not Logic would be your best bet.  The problems solved in a reasining/thinking course are not as applicable to the logic games.  Logic will help you to hone the basic skills that allow you to increase your speed in the Games.  I wish I could've taken these courses closer to the test date b/c they'd have help (I took both over 2 years before the LSAT).
At my school, the course was just listed as "logic" or "elementary logic."  But if you read the course description, it would mention symbolic logic in the description.  So look for that.  The course will probably be offered in the Philosophy department.

At my university, they also offer a course entitled "Practical Reasoning," which is also a logic course, but it's different from the symbolic logic - sort of prior to symbolic logic logic - they only do a little of symbolic logic towards the end. However, in that course there's a lot of problem solving, very much like the ones on the logic part of the LSAT.  I never took that course, but people who have, told me that it was extremely helpful in preparing for the LSAT.  So keep an eye out for something like that at your school too.

Kelly

• I love the LSAT!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2005, 11:37:32 PM »
Oh lord, with working full-time, working out, taking a logic course (or 2) & studying for the LSAT- I feel like I might burn out! :-\