Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Important question about about prepping for law school  (Read 7662 times)

Mary

• View Profile
Re: Important question about about prepping for law school
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2005, 10:40:58 PM »
Student loans for vacation???

I need $ to go on vacation!

Yeah, that is a requirement...
Hey, that is what student loans are for!

rezipsa

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2005, 11:20:19 AM »
Student loans for vacation???

Yeah.  Think of the vacation as summer camp or a seminar.

SleepyGuyYawn

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2005, 03:10:45 PM »
I haven't read all three pages here, but I think I get the idea.

I might read a book about law school before I start.  But that's about it. 

I do think that recently graduating from UG (I graduated in May '04 BTW) does probably correlate with not "preparing" for school as much.  But I don't think it really is a matter of priorities.  I think it's more a matter of feeling academically confident.  B/c let's face it -- if it's been several years (or for some people, more than eight or nine years) since you've been in school, you probably are a bit more nervous about going back.  And you probably don't remember quite how academics can burn a person out in a way that a 9-5 job can't.  But this is just my opinion, of course. As always, I reserve the right to be wrong.

jomolungma

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2005, 05:53:55 PM »
You're right, I definitely don't remember academic burnout, it's been waaay too long and I played golf and tennis most of my senior year anyway.  However, having just come out of the Army, I'm expecting law school to be a similar experience, mentally and physically, and so that's how I'm preparing.  Basically thinking of the toughest thing I've ever been through and adding 10%.

SleepyGuyYawn

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2005, 08:47:01 PM »
Yes, I hear you.  The first year of law school is going to be intense.  It's easy to forget how such intellectual intensity can wear on you.  When everything is new and nothing is routine, burnout can be a factor.  I think a relaxed summer is worth protecting against that.

I also think it's necessary to make sure you spend some time with your family and friends (especially your sig other).  Because if you have to deal with difficulties in those relationships while you're trying to deal with your first year of LS, it'll be a disaster. 

So relaxing it is for me.

SleepyGuyYawn

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2005, 08:51:33 PM »
Reread your post and noticed you talked about the army.

I understand that it's necessary to compare LS to something, but I think it's going to be a very different type of intensity than the army would offer.  I mean, it may actually be less stressful than the army, especially than Iraq.  But the type of intensity that law school will cause may actually burn you out faster.  Because even though there's less stress -- and the consequences of not succeeding are, in some ways, not as great -- the constant intellectual rigor (as opposed to physical rigor or emotional stress) may actually be worse than what you come up against in the army.

I'll be interested in seeing how you compare the two experiences after a semester, though.

lipper

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2005, 12:10:25 AM »
i served 4 years in the military, and will soon finish my first year in law school. law school without a doubt, is tougher in so many ways. First, obviously, its harder intellectually, a lot more rigorous. Also, think of your prof's as drill sergeants. They will no doubt break you down with the socratic method. The reason law school is worse is because, unlike in the military, you get no praise at all while ur being taught. the only praise u get is when u get ur grades. Also, i think physically its on par with basic, as far as exhaustion is concerned. Sure, ur not crawling or putting urself through miles of marching, but the whole sleep deprivation thing is exhausting. with 8ams every day of the week, and hours of HW a night, on top of papers due, preparing for an oral argument, as well as outlining for finals, even when u do have a chance to get 8 hours of sleep, u dont sleep. u try to, but u constantly think about what u have to do, planning ur next day.
check the footnotes ya'll

EASTWEST

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2005, 01:27:53 AM »
The discipline instilled in you by the army should be very beneficial though. For a lot of people its simply a mental toughness thing. Good luck.

jomolungma

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2005, 06:58:52 AM »
Well, everyone's military experience is a little different.  I happened to go through officer candidate school which is by far the toughest thing I will ever do in my life.  We averaged 3-4 hours of sleep a night for 14 weeks, with physical and academic training from 5:30am to 12am everyday.  Then, after Armor school I went through the scout leaders course, which is basically staying awake for two straight weeks while doing tactical exercises in the woods of Ft. Knox.  Then Iraq.  So, everyone's experience is different.  The mental challenges were there in the Army, but certainly they were of a diffrent type and scale than law school will be.  When I said that I felt prepared for law school by my Army experience I really meant that I know what it feels like to suffer for something you believe in, and I've developed a discipline and determination that I think will serve me well in school.

SleepyGuyYawn

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2005, 09:45:23 AM »
It might be easier to keep believing in fighting for freedom than fighting for an A in torts   :D

Seriously though.  It'll be interesting to have you at Pitt.  I never really experienced any "older" students in UG (went to U.Michigan).  So even though you're not exactly elderly, you're going to add a lot with your experiences.  And of course the military experience is just really cool to have in a law class.