Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Important question about about prepping for law school  (Read 7635 times)

fooseball22

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Important question about about prepping for law school
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2005, 09:11:11 AM »
I am slogging through the Contracts E&E book right now.  I mean, its pretty dry material compared to torts, but i feel like the author could have put more umph into it (stylistically speaking).  Right now, I'm doing the PLS2 law school prep thingy and as far as i can tell im absorbing some of the important stuff (not as much as i need to though).  It can be rigorous if ur a full time employee, but it appears to pay off in the long run.

Bored_3L

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2005, 05:53:52 PM »
Even though it's been said before, and ignored repeatedly, you should just relax during the summer leading up to 1L.  There is enough stress associated with the first year without adding to it over the summer.  Investing serious time reading several law books is not productive for two main reasons:

1) In law school, as in any class, you aren't learning everything there is to know in a subject you are learning what the professor feels like covering.  It doesn't make sense grappling the intricacies of contractual conecpts that you may not even cover in class.  Different study aids focus on different things and until you are familiar with your profs' style you won't know which one to invest in and utilize effectively.

2) Succes in law school depends on your ability to analyze scenarios and apply the law on an exam.  Simply regurgitating legal rules you read over the summer does not improve analysis skills and lead to better grades.  Until you start diving into case law and seeing what kinds of in class analyses are emphasized, you won't know how to prepare and study effectively.

If you insist on ignoring the relaxation advice and preparing, then jomolungma has the right idea.  Just skim stuff to get a basic knowledge of terminology and the workings of the court system (especially civil court because that's from where most of your reading will be taken). 

EASTWEST

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2005, 06:11:58 PM »
I agree with last post.

But people, stop putting that damn Fooseball post up. It is simply illogical. He suspects a correlation between the suggestion of relaxing before a truly grueling endeavor and people who have messed up priorities and went straight from undegrad to law school? Interesting assumptions...that logic should serve you well in law school. Ladies and gentleman, the next Clarence Thomas!!!

Jomo's approach is a very reasonable one, but for many of the others I again warn that getting too deep into substantive material will likely harm you once in law school. I think many professors and deans would agree, in fact email them. Their email addresses are listed online, and i suspect they'd be more than happy to give some insight into this.

Kelly

• I love the LSAT!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2005, 06:28:48 PM »
You really must be bored!!! :D

Even though it's been said before, and ignored repeatedly, you should just relax during the summer leading up to 1L.  There is enough stress associated with the first year without adding to it over the summer.  Investing serious time reading several law books is not productive for two main reasons:

1) In law school, as in any class, you aren't learning everything there is to know in a subject you are learning what the professor feels like covering.  It doesn't make sense grappling the intricacies of contractual conecpts that you may not even cover in class.  Different study aids focus on different things and until you are familiar with your profs' style you won't know which one to invest in and utilize effectively.

2) Succes in law school depends on your ability to analyze scenarios and apply the law on an exam.  Simply regurgitating legal rules you read over the summer does not improve analysis skills and lead to better grades.  Until you start diving into case law and seeing what kinds of in class analyses are emphasized, you won't know how to prepare and study effectively.

If you insist on ignoring the relaxation advice and preparing, then jomolungma has the right idea.  Just skim stuff to get a basic knowledge of terminology and the workings of the court system (especially civil court because that's from where most of your reading will be taken). 

Mary

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2005, 06:32:37 PM »
I definitely don't want to waste a summer relaxing and partying!

jomolungma

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2005, 07:02:35 PM »
Just so everyone doesn't think I'm a fuddy duddy, my anniversary is coming up this July and I will be doing lots of relaxing and partying with my wife.  I won't have a single law-related book with me.  But since I've known I was going to law school for the last year or so I had to do something with that time, right?  I didn't have my senior year of undergrad to distract me.

fooseball22

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2005, 10:26:36 AM »

But people, stop putting that d**mn Fooseball post up. It is simply illogical. He suspects a correlation between the suggestion of relaxing before a truly grueling endeavor and people who have messed up priorities and went straight from undegrad to law school? Interesting assumptions...that logic should serve you well in law school. Ladies and gentleman, the next Clarence Thomas!!!

What I actually said was that the ‘fun and relaxation’ bit just goes to show where certain individuals priorities are, namely undergrads who went straight to law school.  Meaning, their priorities are probably on ‘fun and relaxation’.  Is that messed up?  No, nor did I imply that.  Does that mean you shouldn’t have fun and relax?  NO, nor did I imply that.  Did I make that assumption out of the blue or illogically like east west insists? NO…What I did base that assumption on was students I went to undergrad with.  Some went to law school directly some waited a year, some two, others four years.  Guess who emphasized fun and relaxation before law school the most?  You guessed right, the students who went straight in.  Did the other students who waited say don’t relax or have fun?  Of course not, but they were not as staunch as the ‘straight-ins’ about fun and relaxation.  Is there some sort of correlation here?  I think so, but I never said it was an overwhelming one, nor did I say it was the definitive answer and I NEVER made a false assumption, just an educated guess  ;)

rezipsa

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2005, 02:51:37 PM »

I will say it again and you can look at previous posts from some of us that have some survived.  RELAX this summer you will need to store all that energy for the upcomming year.  In fact, you may be wasting a lot of time reading these review books when your prof may teach you the law totally different that the review books. 

Trust me, you will get enough reading and reviewing throughout the year.  Go on vacation! 

Mary

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2005, 05:08:43 PM »
I need $ to go on vacation!

I will say it again and you can look at previous posts from some of us that have some survived.  RELAX this summer you will need to store all that energy for the upcomming year.  In fact, you may be wasting a lot of time reading these review books when your prof may teach you the law totally different that the review books. 

Trust me, you will get enough reading and reviewing throughout the year.  Go on vacation! 

rezipsa

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2005, 06:44:57 PM »
I need $ to go on vacation!

Yeah, that is a requirement...
Hey, that is what student loans are for!