Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Important question about about prepping for law school  (Read 7622 times)

jomolungma

• View Profile
Re: Important question about about prepping for law school
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2005, 05:41:27 PM »
I honestly would be wary about heeding the advice of posters who say 'relax and have a good time'.  It just goes to show where their priorities are.  My guess is that these individuals went straight from undergrad to law school, but i can only speculate.

I have to agree with this.  I've been out of school for 9 years and have been reading lots of law-related books this whole year.  I'm not studying the law, I'm reading.  I'm reading about the subjects, and the law in general, in hopes that I'll retain about 5-10% of the language and main ideas, something to help me up the learning curve when the ball drops.  My uncle, a succesful lawyer in his own right, told me the biggest things for a 1L are learning to think like a lawyer and the language barrier.  If I can tackle one of those even sllightly it's gotta help.

The main argument folks throw at me against what I am doing is burnout.  Look, if you've spent the last 8-10 years of your life working and going to war like me, burnout is not gonna happen.  I CHOSE TO GO TO LAW SCHOOL.  If I get burned out it's my own fault and means I made a major mistake.  I plan on doing this law thing for the rest of my life, wouldn't it suck to get burned out in one year?  Give me a break.  Suck it up.  I'll tell ya this, while some of you bask your summer away on the beach others are reading and learning.  When the first class starts, you'll know who is who.  I'm not saying their grades will be different, but my guess is they will be.  There are those that go to law school because they want to be lawyers and those who go because they can't decide what they want to be.  Lawyers prepare.

lipper

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2005, 07:39:07 PM »
ur burnout argument is baseless. obviously u have no idea what ur talking about. ur argument rests on the false assumption that law school is like the practice of law. the reason burnout happens is because law school is A LOT MORE INTENSIVE THAN THE PRACICE OF LAW. in law school, u have memos, outlining, oral arguments to prepare for, all while still preparing for class which takes 4 -5 hours a night. i could go on, but im just f'n beat from all the work law school is throwin at me.
check the footnotes ya'll

EASTWEST

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2005, 08:46:32 PM »
Different things work for different people. I have done very well so far in law school, and did nothing to prep for it. If your goal is to get great grades and parlay that into a good attorney position, then I strongly feel reading excessive amounts of material before starting law school is superfluous. All law schools operate differently and all Profs teach different material in different ways and expect different things from exams. The best way to achieve this is simply doing the work while in law school. Many people I know suffered greatly because they relied too heavily on commercial outlines which generalize the law into black letter rules. Similarly, the method of heavy preparation can blur the lines of your understanding of the material and law resulting in your failure to operate as your specific professor expects. Many people, who are not obsessive and who do significantly less work than most, do extremely well in law school. Find out what works best for you, but certainly don't overdo it. I hope this helps, but i guess i'm one of those jerks who just says relax. If you are truly intelligent and have the critical thinking skills that lawyers should, you will do exceptionally well with a disciplined work ethic.

fooseball22

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2005, 08:56:00 PM »
apparently Lipper knows what working as a lawyer in practice AND what working as a law student is like AND hes still in law school....
Lets think about this...law student...knows what its like to practice as a lawyer...Even if you DID work as a paralegal before law school(doubtful) and even if you did work as an associate or a clerk, i HIGHLY doubt that qualifies you to comment on the parallels of work load between law students and lawyers. 
I'd also like to point out that jomo never really makes the assumption that law school is like the practice of law.

jomolungma

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2005, 09:14:11 PM »
ur burnout argument is baseless. obviously u have no idea what ur talking about. ur argument rests on the false assumption that law school is like the practice of law. the reason burnout happens is because law school is A LOT MORE INTENSIVE THAN THE PRACICE OF LAW. in law school, u have memos, outlining, oral arguments to prepare for, all while still preparing for class which takes 4 -5 hours a night. i could go on, but im just f'n beat from all the work law school is throwin at me.

dude, get over it... if it's that tough, leave... dropout... cry... do something other than be another one of the many whiners and complainers... i happen to work with lawyers everyday... i also have several in my family who come home late at night and are barely seen on weekends... but they do it because they accept the tradeoffs... you want a law degree, accept the tradeoffs...

i don't think how much someone studies has a direct correlation to how well they do... different strokes for different folks... i know quite a few students who studied themselves sick and then bombed due to test anxiety... i know others that took three-day weekends throughout 1L and made law review... i personally have no idea what will work for me, i'll figure it out... my previous post was simply stating that there are other options to blowing off your summer before school, and if you take what you are doing seriously, i would think you'd want to crack a book or two before day one

jomolungma

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2005, 09:25:49 PM »
Different things work for different people. I have done very well so far in law school, and did nothing to prep for it. If your goal is to get great grades and parlay that into a good attorney position, then I strongly feel reading excessive amounts of material before starting law school is superfluous. All law schools operate differently and all Profs teach different material in different ways and expect different things from exams. The best way to achieve this is simply doing the work while in law school. Many people I know suffered greatly because they relied too heavily on commercial outlines which generalize the law into black letter rules. 

I agree with what you're saying, which is why I tried to make a point of stating that I wasn't studying, just reading.  I read West Nutshell's on the subway.  I've read an E&E or two and a couple of Law School Confidential type books.  All of this reading was spread out over the course of 15 months.  In addition, I work in NYC housing court everyday, with three law students and a group of experienced L&T attorneys.  We talk, I learn.  I'm not tied to any assumptions or principles of learning, and I'm completely open to the uniqueness of my professor's teaching.  However, I know some of the issues involved with jurisdiction, and I can spell collateral estoppel.  I know what the letter K refers to, what the MPC is, and the names of a bunch of different crimes.  As a former English teacher and Internet developer that's more than I knew when I started and it can't hurt to know when I get to school.

Mary

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2005, 11:09:56 PM »
Hi,
I've read PLS II and was planning to get a couple of the others you mentioned.

What I was actually asking was what texts/supplementals would people recommend for all the 1L courses? e.g., Torts, Property, etc.

Mary, I'm a pre-1L also...I haven't been to LS yet, but I can tell you what I've been reading in my spare time. 

Planet Law School II- I have been reading bits and pieces from it for about 2 months.  It explains a lot about how to prep without driving yourself nuts.  It is like 900 pages and you have to order it online but I think it is a good book so far.

Slaying the Law School Dragon-  I have only read a couple of chapters so far.  What I like about this book is that it gives you cases and explains step-by-step how to read, understand, and brief them. 

Law School for Dummies-  This sounds ridiculous, but it has a lot of useful tips in it and it is a laid back approach to prepping.  Still seriously helpful, takes you from pre-class all the way to finding a job.

Just Purchased

Law 101- This books describes itself as a "everyman" type of legal reference book, the kind that was designed for joe schmo to learn something easily.  I figured I would check it out because I want to know the basics about each of the first year classes without getting too deep.  If joe schmo can read it then I (as a 0L) probably should.

Legal Writing in Plain English-Haven't even opened it yet, can't tell you too much about it.  It does look competent in teaching you how to write the way your profs are going to expect...or else I wouldn't have purchased it.

I have a lot of outline books, nutshell stuff, and the sparknotes "cheat sheets".  I was fortunate enough to have an uncle who just graduated from LS 2 years ago.  He gave me all his stuff, except for the stuff he still uses.  I have all the Barbri tapes and I occasionally listen to them on long drives. 

I'm not getting in too deep, just reading when I have a few moments between school work and things I do for fun. 

Mary

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2005, 11:11:00 PM »
I agree with you 110% there.  That is why I always cringe when posters say that.

I honestly would be wary about heeding the advice of posters who say 'relax and have a good time'.  It just goes to show where their priorities are.  My guess is that these individuals went straight from undergrad to law school, but i can only speculate.

Mary

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2005, 11:12:17 PM »
Can you please not hijack my thread?! :-[

jomolungma

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2005, 11:31:15 PM »
Hi,
I've read PLS II and was planning to get a couple of the others you mentioned.

What I was actually asking was what texts/supplementals would people recommend for all the 1L courses? e.g., Torts, Property, etc.

There is a list in Law School Confidential that's pretty good.  I've found the Examples and Explanations for CivPro and Torts helpful, easy to read, but they aren't all by the same author so they differ...