Law School Discussion

Important question about about prepping for law school

Re: Important question about about prepping for law school
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2005, 05:05:31 PM »
Thank you Lipper!!!  This is very helpful!!!

May I ask, did you use (or do you recommend) audio tapes?  Anything that would be good to listen to? 

Also, I was planning to get the supplements at a law bookstore but others have recommended to get it online.  Where do you think would be the best place to get the material?

Also, is it all expensive or does it just depend on where you go to purchase them?

as a current 1L, i can tell u that prepping is useless.

however, if u will disregard everyone's advice on this, here are the supplements i used last semester and this semester.

Civ Pro - Glannons E&E (this is priceless, and will be ur bible when u take this class)
if u must read something this summer, this will help the most

Contracts - Emmanuels and E&E

Property - Gilberts by Dukeminier (the man wrote the case book you will probably use, its golden, provides concise explanations on vague topics)
try to master the rule against perpetuities. i took the property final not knowing what the hell i was doing when it came to this - got a 38 on the exam, thank god that was a B.

Torts - didn't use one

Criminal - Dressler's Treatise published by Lexis is amazing.

Con Law - dont even try to fill ur head with con law crap. it is a beast all in itself. i have 4 hours of con law HW a night, the worst subject by far. every prof. teaches it differently, so prepping for this class will definitly be pointless. u wont know what provisions ur prof will cover (we dont touch the commerce clause, but we place a heavy emphasis on the whole equal protection/due process clauses of the 5th and 14th amendments; some classes go in depth on the commerce clause, and other provisions)

thats about it.

lipper

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2005, 08:11:23 PM »
i use the "sum and substance" CD series for Criminal by Dressler. haven't used any other audio things. I think this is great to gain an overview of a topic after having read the assigned cases and read through the relevant parts of his treatise.

just go on barnes and noble or amazon to get what u want. thats what i did. ur gonna pay about the same no matter where u go.

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2005, 08:32:19 AM »
Far and away the best thing you can do in your summer before law school is to have as much fun as possible, relax, party, and do absolutely nothing.  Lord knows, you're not going to have much time for it once school starts.

I totally agree with this.  Before I started first year, I went to Vegas!  If you are dying to read something, read 1L, A Civil Action or The Disaster at Buffalo Creek.  But most of all, have some fun and enjoy the time off.  Soon you will be up to your ears with studying and dreaming of sitting on the beach, drinking an ice cold Corona and seeing how far you can throw your case books.

Am I right?

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2005, 10:37:50 AM »
i use the "sum and substance" CD series for Criminal by Dressler. haven't used any other audio things. I think this is great to gain an overview of a topic after having read the assigned cases and read through the relevant parts of his treatise.

just go on barnes and noble or amazon to get what u want. thats what i did. ur gonna pay about the same no matter where u go.

Okay, I'll do that.  I was just curious if you knew what the whole thing will run.

onehandedreader

• Balzac, Jaws of Death
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2005, 12:01:17 PM »
I know it's already been said, but i think it bears repeating: spend your summer before law school relaxing, having fun.  you're going to spend that first year doing nothing but studying, and, as one of the previous posters said, it's pretty much useless to start trying to learn the law before you even start school.  I do recommend reading law school confidential, though, i didn't see that one mentioned here.

Lanya

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2005, 08:53:19 AM »
What about taking a BarBri course in late summer to prepare for law school?  Has anyone done that or heard anything about that?  Is it useful?  If I remember correctly, it's basically a 3-day (6 hours each day) course, where different actual law professors briefly introduce you to all the classes that you'll be taking in your first year of law and teaching you techniques of how to score well on the exams for each of those classes, so you end up at the top of your class.  The guy who came to our school and advertised this program said that almost everyone who's gone through it was in the top 10% of their graduating class at the end of their 1L.  That sounds very attractive, but he was advertising the program, so I wonder, if it's acutually true.  And the program costs $800 - quite a lot for just three days of classes!  Still, if it does what it promises to do - very tempting...  Does anyone have any comments?

By the way, here's BarBri's website:
http://www.lawschoolprep.com

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2005, 06:41:49 PM »
I have 2 friends that took Barbri and they said it was a HUGE waste of $$$ & time!!!  They said the only thing they learned was how to brief cases.

What about taking a BarBri course in late summer to prepare for law school?  Has anyone done that or heard anything about that?  Is it useful?  If I remember correctly, it's basically a 3-day (6 hours each day) course, where different actual law professors briefly introduce you to all the classes that you'll be taking in your first year of law and teaching you techniques of how to score well on the exams for each of those classes, so you end up at the top of your class.  The guy who came to our school and advertised this program said that almost everyone who's gone through it was in the top 10% of their graduating class at the end of their 1L.  That sounds very attractive, but he was advertising the program, so I wonder, if it's acutually true.  And the program costs $800 - quite a lot for just three days of classes!  Still, if it does what it promises to do - very tempting...  Does anyone have any comments?

By the way, here's BarBri's website:
http://www.lawschoolprep.com

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2005, 08:35:41 PM »
Mary, I'm a pre-1L also...I haven't been to LS yet, but I can tell you what I've been reading in my spare time. 

Planet Law School II- I have been reading bits and pieces from it for about 2 months.  It explains a lot about how to prep without driving yourself nuts.  It is like 900 pages and you have to order it online but I think it is a good book so far.

Slaying the Law School Dragon-  I have only read a couple of chapters so far.  What I like about this book is that it gives you cases and explains step-by-step how to read, understand, and brief them. 

Law School for Dummies-  This sounds ridiculous, but it has a lot of useful tips in it and it is a laid back approach to prepping.  Still seriously helpful, takes you from pre-class all the way to finding a job.

Just Purchased

Law 101- This books describes itself as a "everyman" type of legal reference book, the kind that was designed for joe schmo to learn something easily.  I figured I would check it out because I want to know the basics about each of the first year classes without getting too deep.  If joe schmo can read it then I (as a 0L) probably should.

Legal Writing in Plain English-Haven't even opened it yet, can't tell you too much about it.  It does look competent in teaching you how to write the way your profs are going to expect...or else I wouldn't have purchased it.

I have a lot of outline books, nutshell stuff, and the sparknotes "cheat sheets".  I was fortunate enough to have an uncle who just graduated from LS 2 years ago.  He gave me all his stuff, except for the stuff he still uses.  I have all the Barbri tapes and I occasionally listen to them on long drives. 

I'm not getting in too deep, just reading when I have a few moments between school work and things I do for fun. 

dft

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2005, 10:15:10 PM »
I'm interesting in knowing what materials are good to prep with.

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2005, 10:47:20 AM »
I honestly would be wary about heeding the advice of posters who say 'relax and have a good time'.  It just goes to show where their priorities are.  My guess is that these individuals went straight from undergrad to law school, but i can only speculate.