Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Any Suffolk Students out there?  (Read 10767 times)

dollies1213

• View Profile
Re: Any Suffolk Students out there?
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2005, 04:18:37 PM »
Thanks for responding.  So if the grading curve is terrible there, is it impossible to pull As at Suffolk?  Who are the students you know who pull As at this school?  Do they participate a lot/are they total nerds/overachievers?  I don't expect to have a ton of difficulty with this material and I want to ace my classes.  I am just afraid of busting my rear and not having it pay off in the end. 

Also, how many students do you know or have you heard of who got big firm jobs during the summer after their first year of law school?  Is this unheard of for Suffolk?  What great paying jobs do most people secure as a 1L? 

Rmp1030

• Click Profile to change this text.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Rmp1030
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2005, 05:07:22 PM »
No, its not impossible. The curve requires that a few people get A's. I'm not sure who got A's in my classes and who didn't. Its not something that is ever really discussed.

I don't have an answer for you regarding how many 1L's got big firm jobs, but I doubt its unheard of it. Everyone that I know has some type of legal position for the summer.

Sorry I could not provide you with more information.

kdj116

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2005, 07:46:01 PM »
Does anyone know anything about doing corporate or intellectual property law coming from Suffolk?  I was recently accepted and put a deposit down, but am also waitlisted at Northeastern..  I'm concerned about discussion regarding public interest law and Suffolk being so frequent and discussion about corporate law almost non-existent..

Is Suffolk ideal for students who wish to concentrate in Intellectual Property or Corporate Law??

Rmp1030

• Click Profile to change this text.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Rmp1030
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2005, 07:50:02 PM »
Most students at Suffolk are interested in corporate law. As someone interested in public interest law, I mainly know about the opportunities at Suffolk related to it.

Also, Northeastern is much more public interest focussed.

crissy00

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2005, 10:27:19 PM »
Is it possible to transfer from a school like Texas Southern, or Thomas Cooley School of law? If so what are the odds? Has anyone ever transferred before? Does the addmission committee look at the lsat or just at your current information such as your grades at your current school and so forth?
Thanks ~Crissy

bdc

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2005, 08:37:31 AM »
Crissy00,

I'm not sure what exactly you are asking.  Are you trying to transfer to Suffolk from a school like Cooley?  If so, I would say that you can and have heard that people have.  The most important thing is class rank and first year grades. From what I understand, the LSAT is a non issue.  If you are in the top 10-20% I would say your chances are good.
hth

lawsuperstar

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2005, 01:06:29 PM »
Thanks for responding.  So if the grading curve is terrible there, is it impossible to pull As at Suffolk?  Who are the students you know who pull As at this school?  Do they participate a lot/are they total nerds/overachievers?  I don't expect to have a ton of difficulty with this material and I want to ace my classes.  I am just afraid of busting my rear and not having it pay off in the end. 

Also, how many students do you know or have you heard of who got big firm jobs during the summer after their first year of law school?  Is this unheard of for Suffolk?  What great paying jobs do most people secure as a 1L? 

I was #4 in my class at Suffolk.  I got mostly A's, but surprisingly a few B's.  It's not impossible to do well, it requires a lot of hard work and not getting caught up in the cliques and social aspect that I found a lot of my classmates were interested in.  I did very well.  Not to knock Suffolk, but I did so well that I'm transferring to either BU or BC only because I'm interested in positioning myself for a work at a Big firm and quite honestly those jobs are difficult to get from Suffolk.  Best of luck to you!