Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Any Suffolk Students out there?  (Read 11022 times)

bdc

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Any Suffolk Students out there?
« on: March 24, 2005, 03:07:31 PM »
Anyone who is a student can you please give me any info/input or feelings bout Suffolk.  absolutly anything is appreciated.

Rmp1030

• Click Profile to change this text.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Rmp1030
    • View Profile
Re: Any Suffolk Students out there?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2005, 08:53:15 PM »
Hi!

I am a 1L at Suffolk and love it!! What specifically do you want to know about the school?? Let me know.

JackInTheBox

• Sr. Citizen
  • Eggnog and Pumpkin Pie Shakes Make Me In The Box
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2005, 09:50:45 PM »
What are the job prospects like at Suffolk?  It was one of my first acceptances, but I have not considered it because the way the prelaw board makes it sound, it is competing with so many other schools for the Boston market that there are few jobs left.

Can you demystify this for me?

Rmp1030

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2005, 10:07:45 PM »
I am not completely sure, but from what I've observed, it doesn't seem to be a problem.  Suffolk is well known in the Boston area.  For what its worth, I got a summer job the first week in February.

Hope this helps!

dft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2005, 11:45:44 AM »
I recently put my seat deposit down at Suffolk and would like to hear any feedback about it or know if anyone else is attending. I will also put in my two cents on this question posed above:

Suffolk is generally well-regarded in the Boston area. However, its reputation does not really carry anywhere outside of Boston.  So, if you plan on working in CA, for example, your job prospects will be limited unless you place in the top 10% of the class.  If you plan on working in Boston, you should have ample (decent) job opportunities in the Boston area, as long as you do reasonably well at the school.

It is true that you are next in line after BC, BU, and possibly Northeastern when trying to get a job out of Suffolk. On the other hand, there are Suffolk alumni in top positions all over the Boston area, and top firms/employers recruit from Suffolk regularly (they will most likely be looking for the top students).  As a result, Suffolk is very competitive (or at least it is known to be, I don't know the truth of this yet).

It really depends on what your goal is (i.e. where do you want to work upon graduation).  If you want to go for the "prestigious" large firm job, you do have that opportunity, but it won't be as easy to get one as if you were at the other schools in the city.  If you want to work for the government, I'd assume that would be easier (e.g. the DA's office).

In addition, I'd like to add that I was very impressed by Suffolk's facilities - they were extremely nice.  I know this is not everything, but there is an argument to be made that you will essentially be living at the law school you chose because you are spending so much time there.  I think this is true and I want to have a nice, comfortable (and even aesthetically-pleasing), environment/facilities/atmosphere in which to learn the law.  I think this type of atmosphere will help to facilitate my learning to some extent and to at least make it a more enjoyable experience.

What are the job prospects like at Suffolk?  It was one of my first acceptances, but I have not considered it because the way the prelaw board makes it sound, it is competing with so many other schools for the Boston market that there are few jobs left.

Can you demystify this for me?

dollies1213

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2005, 04:01:27 PM »
I would love to know what the professors are like at Suffolk.  I was recently accepted and received a nice scholarship offer, but need to do really well academically my first year.  I am hoping to ace my classes and don't expect to struggle too much with classes, but I want to get a realistic sense of what the grading system is like at the school.  How fair are the professors and do they reward students who participate in class?  Is it impossible to get As, or is it attainable if you work hard/study hard?  I would greatly appreciates some insight into this...

Also, how competitive are the students at Suffolk? 

Thanks!

bdc

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2005, 06:07:33 PM »
there is a 2.87 or so forced grade curve and is generally regarded as one of the top ten most competitive schools.  other then that I have nothing but good things to say about the school and Boston.  Im concerned about the job market with so many other higher ranked law schools in Boston.

Rmp1030

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2005, 06:19:47 PM »
Hi,

I am a 1L at Suffolk. The professors there are super nice for the most part. That being said, the forced curve is horrible. While many of them don't particularly like it, it is mandatory, so they have to adhere to it. Notwithstanding this curve, the students remain very nice to one another, and are not outwardly competitive.

As for job prospects, Suffolk has a great alumni network, especially in the Boston-area. Many top government officials are Suffolk grads which helps!

Hope this helps!

bdc

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2005, 11:14:43 PM »
rmp1030,

what about securing employment following 1L?  its seems that most people on this board think its rather tough.  and its even tougher to get ones that pay enough to survive.  does suffolk have on campus recruiting for 1L?

Rmp1030

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2005, 06:05:32 PM »
Hello again,

Suffolk and the other Boston-area law schools hold a Government and Public Interest Job Fair, which many 1L's participate in. I got a paid job through this, in February. There are also various recruitment programs.

Most people I know have summer jobs, many of which are paid. In addition, Suffolk offers many funding options to those interested in public interest.

Hope this helps...