Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Well I'm probably headed here in 2005  (Read 3169 times)

The Silent Chief

• View Profile
Well I'm probably headed here in 2005
« on: March 23, 2005, 04:47:02 PM »
Anyone else?  I'm a little apprehensive on how to pay for it however.  Anyone?

DumbMe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Well I'm probably headed here in 2005
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2005, 02:23:24 AM »
Yeah I'm definitely heading to USD this fall. I'm a little nervous but I'm excited to move, already in San Diego so if anyone has any questions as to the area, let me know.

The Silent Chief

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2005, 12:37:36 PM »
Hey DubMe,

Great!  The wife and I are going to come down on the 18th of April for the open house.  Just booked the hotel.  We are only spending two nights.  One must see for a first time visitor?

Being a local, do you have any USD friends that have started the job hunt in earnest?  It seems like USD is top dog in the city of SD, but with LA only two hours away do you feel local competition from the heavy weights of UCLA, Loyola, and USC on the local job market?  Third years starting to seem desperate?  I can't seem to find any recent info on USD grads with job offers at graduation. 

We are living in SF currently and are hoping to be able to move back north a few years after graduation.  Any experience with seeing the USD degree travel through CA?  I think we are going to turn down USF.  I'm just not thrilled with its local reputation, and the stiff competition of the Bay Area legal market for people just starting out...

DumbMe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2005, 03:01:05 AM »
I hope the weather will be beautiful when you come to visit so you can truly appreciate what San Diego has to offer. As far as must sees, if you want the touristy stuff there's Old Town, the Zoo, The Wild Animal Park, Sea World, Mission Beach. If you want to get a taste of what San Diego is really about I'd suggest hitting one of the beaches, and having a nice dinner outdoors either at one of the restaurants in the gaslamp or one of the Mexican restaurants in Old Town. I like Casa de Bandini but the wait is usually pretty long.

I know 8 people that are graduation from USD this spring and all of them already have jobs lined up, most are from their summer jobs. None are going into "big law" but I would say the average salary for them is about 75,000. Five will be working in San Diego, two in the OC, and one in Sacramento (staff counsel for a California interest group). My mom is an attorney in San Diego and I've worked in various law offices and I would say that probably 60% of the attorneys in these firms are from USD. Then there is about 20% from TJ and Cal Western and the rest from various other firms. In general, I do not see a lot of competition from USC, Loyola, or UCLA in San Diego. The majority of non-San Diego schools represented here in San Diego are from the T-14. From the people that I know that USD, there isn't a lot of desperation in finding a job. They've told me that career services was helpful in finding summer jobs and most of their summer jobs have turned into associate offers.

I'm not sure if you're familiar with San Diego but the number one complaint of people coming from SF or LA is that there isn't anything to do here. Compared to SF and LA, the complaint is valid. San Diego is very different from SF, just to let you know. As for the USD degree travelling throughout CA, I would say that there are people who are able to find work elsewhere in San Diego, but the name does not carry much farther than the OC. If you want to head back to SF, I would probably really consider USF over USD. The San Francisco market is prety competitive, so I would think USF would be better than USD. I love USD and think that it makes the best sense for me because I want to stay in San Diego, but if I wasn't 100% sure I wanted to stay in San Diego I'd probably think twice. That being said, my mom and just about EVERY other attorney I've talked to have said that your school name only really matters when getting your first job, after that it's all about reputation.

Good luck in making your decision!

The Silent Chief

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2005, 01:23:06 PM »
You are right re USF.  It is a school to strongly consider for staying in SF. I guess I am simply more in love with USD.  USD really has been showing some amazing improvements over the last three years or so.  They've attracted some new top notch faculty, and the latest 2006 rankings continue to support their status as "up and comers".  USF seems to be solidly mired in the nebulous T2-T3 area.  Academically I think it is pretty clear cut between the two. 

I'm currently working for the DOJ, and I agree with your idea that your school ranking really only helps for that first job.  However, I just think that USD will provide more "traction" in getting up and rolling.  I think the wife and myself would be perfectly happy just living in CA, not so much SF.  As a result, USD offers more open doors.  I'm also impressed with the course offerings at UCSD.  They have excellent poli sci and international relations programs, andI would love to sit on a few classes.

That being said, I'm still trying to get a good handle on SD.  The reason we love SF so much is that we can walk ANYWHERE.  It seems like SD is not the car culture of LA, but is it similar?  I certainly hope not.  Our other two most important Quality of Life factors, are nice weather and good food.  Weather is an obvious slam dunk, but how is the local restaurant and night life scene?  I love Mexican, but is there variety? Ignorant and shallow questions I know, but honestly I'm so burnt out on the entire process that these are the questions that seem the most important to me currently!

DumbMe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2005, 01:51:45 AM »
It does look like USD is making some improvements. I'm actually a poli sci student at UCSD, and one of the reasons I chose UCSD was for the poli sci department.  Unfortunately there is not a dual degree program with UCSD.

As for walking, San Diego is not conducive for walking, a car is needed. There are some great restaurants in San Diego, mostly in the Hillcrest and gaslamp neighborhoods. There is more than Mexican, but the Mexican can't be beat!  I think that quality of life is soooooooo important in deciding where to go to law school and thus one of the reasons I chose USD. I love San Diego, the overall vibe of the area is what I love. It's laidback, much more so than San Francisco.

Janette

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2005, 09:21:39 PM »
   Hey!  I just wanted to drop in and say hello, as I will most likely be seeing you at USD in the fall.  I live in Orange County right now...I can't wait to move to San Diego.  It still seems very far off, though.  Anyways...can't wait to meet all of you in the fall!
 ;D   Janette

sunset1021

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2005, 01:47:45 PM »
See you all there this fall! 
"Hold fast to dreams
For if dreams die,
Life is a broken-winged bird
That cannot fly."  -Langston Hughes

jwaxjwax

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2005, 08:08:11 PM »
What kind of Mexican food? I love nice sit down Mexican resaurants that I've been to in Chicago, Memphis, and a couple of other cities. They actually use recipes and have chefs etc.

My experience in San Francisco/Berkeley/San Rafael is just crappy little tauqerias. Hundreds of basically the same little burrito type places.

What type of Mexican food does San Diego offer?

danno51

• MSN Messenger - dannyeverakes
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - daneverakes
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2005, 12:46:14 PM »
Jwax,
San Diego kind of has a mix of nice sit down restaurants and the little small mom and pop taquerias and stuff like that.  Old Town San Diego, which is only a few minutes away from USD, has a bunch of sit down places that are really good.  Some of them are also really crowded, on weekends there are huge lines for them and the waits are sometimes an hour plus.  But its a really cool place to walk around, very authentic.  That I think is the best place to get the sit down Mexican food, but there also some nice places downtown or in the beaches area as well.  If you have any other SD questions, i went to college at UCSD and will being going to USD as well so let me know.  See ya in the fall
Heading to USD in August, Viva San Diego