Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: stressed about starting law school. Reassure me. Give me advice! :)  (Read 897 times)

Jessikally

• View Profile
Let me preface this by saying I'm a worrier. I know this. I worry way more than necessary.

Now....I got a full scholarship to a 3rd tier school. I'm not thrilled about going to this school, esp. since I got into better schools, but it's w/in commuting distance, and I'm getting married soon, so I have my fiance to think about as well. Plus, we own a home and selling it would not only be a hassle, but a bad financial decision. The school has great placement in my area (where we want to stay) and has a great repuation for government work, which I want to go into, and will cost me nothing, so I can't really complain :-\

Anyway, the scholarship says I have to keep a 3.0 GPA. I know this will probably be easier to do here than at some of the other schools I got into, but I'm still scared to death. I'm not dumb- 163 LSAT and 3.49 UGPA....just scared.

Any advice, experiences, etc?

elo

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: stressed about starting law school. Reassure me. Give me advice! :)
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2005, 04:18:52 PM »
At most schools, the middle of the class is curved to something in the neighborhood of 3.2-3.3. You would therefore have to finish well beneath the average to lose your scholarship. Assuming you make the sorts of grades necessary to actually getting a good job, the scholarship will take care of itself.

lipper

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2005, 11:46:23 PM »
the curve depends on the school. i go to a tier 3 and our curve is a C+, which is a 2.3.
check the footnotes ya'll

rapunzel

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2005, 04:42:21 PM »
The school could tell you approximatley what rank a 3.0 is.  At my school 3.0 is bottom third.  Scholarships requires being in the top 50%.  Top 50% is reasonable.  Nobody on scholarship in my class fell below the required 50% mark, to my knowledge.  Top 15% would be a risk (I know a guy who lost his scholarship for not making top 15- he finished school and got a job he enjoys and has a little more debt to pay, so it's not the end of the world).

If the placement is good in your area and you want to stay there, then I think your decision is wise.  Don't buy into the tier game.  Each situation is different and the best school for one person is not the best for another.  Also consider this, you were offered a scholarship because your application stood out from the rest.  Your numbers are probably very good compared to your classmates.  Assuming a correlation (up for debate, of course) you are in a very good position to do well.  A high percentage of students on scholarship at my school graded onto law review.