Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Preview Day  (Read 5737 times)

ErinKG

• View Profile
Preview Day
« on: March 19, 2005, 04:30:15 AM »
Did anyone else attend the mixer last night and the preview today? What did you think? I'm already decided, so I wasn't really the intended audience, but I still had a great time and am VERY excited for classes to start.

Erin

deleted1248163264128

• View Profile
Re: Preview Day
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2005, 04:45:38 PM »
I was only able to attend the preview day on Friday.  I had a positive impression of the school, but I'm still not sure if that's where I'll end up.  Do you already live in Portland?  I live in Seattle now, so I am still trying to figure out if I want to make the move.  Did you find out anything worthwhile at the Thursday reception?

ErinKG

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2005, 07:28:38 PM »
I do live in Portland currently. The Thursday reception was okay, but no good info really. They had free wine, beer and food so I was happy! I also met a few pretty cool people and reconnected with an old classmate who is a recent graduate of the school.

Erin

jwaxjwax

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2005, 11:20:31 PM »
What other schools are you guys thinking about? Thinking about environmental? Where do you want to practice?

I'm also considering USD, and am having a tough time deciding.

deleted1248163264128

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2005, 03:34:44 PM »
I would like to stay in the Pacific Northwest, so I'll either be at L&C or UW if the waitlist is good to me.  I also got into USD, but I decided that I didn't want to move all the way to San Diego.  If I end up at L&C it would be with the plan to eventually practice in Portland.

jwax - where do you live now?  What are the factors that you are considering?

zaphod

• worst dressed sentient being in the galaxy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2005, 12:31:53 PM »
I'm sure y'all got enough inside input at "preview day", but just thought I'd chime in with the fact that my first year at Lewis and Clark (which I just finished) was fantastic beyond all expectations.  It isn't the ultra-competitive atmosphere that you hear about law school being, the professors are great (none of that Paper Chase crap), the campus can't be beat (well, just don't think about parking), and Portland really is a great city.  Seriously, the people here are relaxed almost to a fault.  To the person who's coming from seattle (maybe): I moved down from seattle, even leaving my fiance up there, and while I missed seattle to begin with, portland has really grown on me and there are definitely some advantage to living down here.  All I'm saying is, location shouldn't be that big a factor.  Anyway, good luck on your decisions, and feel free to ask anything about Lewis and Clark.
Don't Panic

deleted1248163264128

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2005, 08:13:42 PM »
Zaphod - are you planning on staying in Portland long-term then?  Is your fiance planning to move down eventually, or do you hope to return to Seattle to work?  I wish I knew for sure where I'm going to be in a month or so.  So far, L&C has been so helpful about everything, and students here and on other boards have nothing but good things to say.

I'm definitely interested in hearing about what you like about Portland versus Seattle.  So far, it seems like rental housing is much cheaper and traffic isn't as bad.  The roads don't seem to be maintained as well, but that's not really a huge factor.  Where are you living?  I'm not really a city dweller, so I was looking around Tigard or Lake Oswego.  Do you think Beaverton would be too far to commute?  Is parking on-campus really that much of a pain?  Well, thanks for your input - it's good to hear from someone who's already made the move.

zaphod

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2005, 06:17:13 PM »
Zaphod - are you planning on staying in Portland long-term then?  Is your fiance planning to move down eventually, or do you hope to return to Seattle to work? 

As of now, my plan is to stay in portland long-term.  With Lewis and Clark being the only law school right in Portland, they have good connections with the local legal community.  I'm not sure how it is upon graduation, but there seem to be pretty good hook ups in terms of summer positions, maybe not with the big firms but certainly with the local governments and small to mid size firms.

I'm definitely interested in hearing about what you like about Portland versus Seattle.

The cities are very similar.  Seattle is prettier, by far, that's the one thing I do miss when I go up there, the cityscape and all.  I like the suburbs of Portland much more, the burbs of Seattle annoy me in their unoriginality.  The traffic and the cost of living is a major plus.  My fiance and I have been shopping around for a 3-bedroom house to rent, and everything we see is well within our price range since we're working off what Seattle rent has been.

Where are you living?  I'm not really a city dweller, so I was looking around Tigard or Lake Oswego.  Do you think Beaverton would be too far to commute?  Is parking on-campus really that much of a pain? 

I'm actually living in Beaverton, the west side of it.  I live for free, or I would probably move closer, but to be honest it's not that bad.  I have about a 20-40 minute commute depending on the traffic.  If you were to live on the east side of Beaverton, or the Raleigh Hills area, you would have the suburban feel and be really close to school, you wouldn't even have to hit a highway.  I don't know much about Tigard, but I knoew some people who live in Lake Oswego and I know it's pretty easy for them.  Parking on campus?  Yeah, it can be bad.  The talk is, apparently every three years someone pushes really hard for a new parking structure, and the environmental community here (which is big) gets their knickers in a twist and it dies out.  The funny thing about that is, I came across a law school preview book in a used book store from 1980, and they said the exact same thing about the motor heads vs. the environmentalists!  So we could have a long wait ;).  Parking is cheap compared to Seattle, though, and most of the time you can find a parking spot without too much of a hike.  The problem, as a whole, is blown out of proportion.

Hope that helps.  Out of curiousity, what other message boards have you checked out?  I oddly can't find that many other than this one, I'd be curious to lurk on some others.
Don't Panic

ErinKG

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2005, 05:38:28 PM »
It's funny you mention the roads not being maintained as well as they are in Seattle - whenever I visit Seattle I'm always REALLY annoyed by how terrible the roads are. Especially on the freeways.

Erin

Zaphod - are you planning on staying in Portland long-term then?  Is your fiance planning to move down eventually, or do you hope to return to Seattle to work?  I wish I knew for sure where I'm going to be in a month or so.  So far, L&C has been so helpful about everything, and students here and on other boards have nothing but good things to say.

I'm definitely interested in hearing about what you like about Portland versus Seattle.  So far, it seems like rental housing is much cheaper and traffic isn't as bad.  The roads don't seem to be maintained as well, but that's not really a huge factor.  Where are you living?  I'm not really a city dweller, so I was looking around Tigard or Lake Oswego.  Do you think Beaverton would be too far to commute?  Is parking on-campus really that much of a pain?  Well, thanks for your input - it's good to hear from someone who's already made the move.

zaphod

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2005, 01:44:06 PM »
I can't say I've taken notice of the roads in EITHER city. 
Don't Panic