Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Which of these guys would you love to be with??

Matt Damon- yummy
 2 (22.2%)
Ben Affleck- ya, no more Jennifer
 2 (22.2%)
Richard Gere, Who cares about the gerbil
 1 (11.1%)
Denzel Washington, hmm hmm good
 0 (0%)
George Clooney, i'll take you away from being single
 1 (11.1%)
Donald Trump, lets go shopping
 0 (0%)
My current boyfriend , husband, fiance
 3 (33.3%)
My Ex, why can't we be together still
 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: Best study method  (Read 8353 times)

carrie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Best study method
« on: March 16, 2005, 07:41:59 PM »
What would all you pro's recommend?

Mary

• View Profile
Re: Best study method
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2005, 08:15:00 PM »
Good question!!

lawgirl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2005, 10:38:53 PM »
Outline. I either try to keep up with my outlines over the course of the semester, or if that is not possible b/c of time constraints, I at least try to have them done at least two weeks before my study period.

I study my outline in chunks. Example to explain my process to you is how I handled my 1L class in Torts.

I separate the specific class into topics (ex: Torts: Intentional Torts first). Under intentional torts, I study each tort separately (battery, then assault, then IIED, etc.). I make sure I know each specific intentional tort separately and then make sure I know intentional torts as a whole. Then I move on to the next topic in that course (ex: negligence). I study each element of negligence separately and then together as a whole. And so on, and so forth.

It usually takes me three days per class to learn an entire class outline for my final exam. I pretty much learn it to the extent that I can recall the entire thing from memory.

If you have any other questions, email me.

LawGirl

joe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2005, 11:10:12 PM »
You go girl! I just commended you! :-*

Outline. I either try to keep up with my outlines over the course of the semester, or if that is not possible b/c of time constraints, I at least try to have them done at least two weeks before my study period.

I study my outline in chunks. Example to explain my process to you is how I handled my 1L class in Torts.

I separate the specific class into topics (ex: Torts: Intentional Torts first). Under intentional torts, I study each tort separately (battery, then assault, then IIED, etc.). I make sure I know each specific intentional tort separately and then make sure I know intentional torts as a whole. Then I move on to the next topic in that course (ex: negligence). I study each element of negligence separately and then together as a whole. And so on, and so forth.

It usually takes me three days per class to learn an entire class outline for my final exam. I pretty much learn it to the extent that I can recall the entire thing from memory.

LawGirl

carrie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2005, 11:14:18 PM »
So did I!  18!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

You go girl! I just commended you! :-*

LawGirl

lawgirl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2005, 11:41:06 PM »
LOL. Thanks!!!  ;D

rezipsa

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2005, 06:31:41 PM »
Practice exam writing.  Look at old exams from your profs.  You may know your law but if you cannot put it down in your "blue book" then you will be SOL.

lawgirl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2005, 09:27:42 PM »
Practice exam writing.  Look at old exams from your profs.  You may know your law but if you cannot put it down in your "blue book" then you will be SOL.

I don't do it (and I know I should) but it hasn't hurt me. For some reason, I seem to do fine without doing it. I think it was the training my law school gave me during 1L year prior to exams, but not all schools do what they do for new students.

BUT, I would still highly recommend it anyway, especially for 1L's.

Mary

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2005, 09:09:33 PM »
Any books, etc., you can recommend for pre-law students to practice their outlining amongst other things?

LawGirl

ormachea

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2005, 12:15:25 AM »
Lawgirl, where do you go that prepped you so well in terms of exam-taking?