Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 27% at a 3rd tier  (Read 5244 times)

Noelle

• View Profile
Re: 27% at a 3rd tier
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2005, 03:46:39 PM »
Interesting observations, frame of mind! 

_/

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2005, 07:04:22 AM »
I know quite a few people at my school who are not concerned at all about class rank and the like -- they plan to transfer within the tier!

jjason

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2005, 06:58:31 PM »
I'm sorry - but I disagree with the 4L. First, law schools do not report LSAT for their 2nd year students. What's reported to the ABA (and USNWR) is INCOMING first year LSAT scores. That's the whole appeal to transferring for those who may not have scored well on their LSAT the first time. They excel during their first year, and can transfer to a better school on grades and recommendations. These things have greater weight than LSAT, IF the LSAT is even considered at all by the new law school. Law schools look to transfer students to find qualities desired by the school to fine tune their class. They can accept them without jeopardizing their rankings should the transfer student have a "low" LSAT. Also, transfer students who do really well in their first year have a good chance of passing the bar on the first try, which IS considered in the school's ranking.

I don't understand how the topic shifted to LSAT from the question about transferring from a 3rd tier to a higher ranking school. Do tell me what law school will consider the LSAT score of a transfer applicant over their grades and professor recommendations.  ???

lipper

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2005, 08:23:01 PM »
lol - i agree. The whole purpose of the LSAT is to measure how well you probably will do first year. why the hell would a school consider an LSAT if they already have that first year performance to judge an applicant?
check the footnotes ya'll

jjason

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2005, 02:11:53 PM »
hehe. I'm glad it wasn't just me! I was CONFUSED for a minute there. HA!

katrina

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2005, 04:45:41 PM »
I know quite a few people at my school who are not concerned at all about class rank and the like -- they plan to transfer within the tier!

LOL I know what you mean! ;)
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office

istically

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2005, 06:42:33 PM »
Even if you don't make it in the top 25% after your first year, you'll probably make it after your second year -- when the top 10-15% of your class will have transferred out your school. You may not be able to transfer out at that point, but you'll probably be ranked better at your school than the transferred out ones will be ranked at the schools they went to ;)

I guess you have a point here , it just needs to be articulated a little bit better!