Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: transfer "down" to Columbia  (Read 3076 times)

1L2004

• View Profile
transfer "down" to Columbia
« on: March 15, 2005, 12:24:41 AM »
I'm seriously thinking about transferring to Columbia from a higher ranked school.  I was admitted there last year and I think I might have chosen the wrong school...it’s just not a great fit with my personality, interests and attitude.  Anyhow, I'm wondering if anyone here has transferred to CLS after earning mediocre 1L grades at a nominally “better” school (Stanford, Harvard, or Yale).  Any comments on prospects and/or process will be most welcome.   

XOXOHTH

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: transfer "down" to Columbia
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2005, 01:40:54 AM »
I'm seriously thinking about transferring to Columbia from a higher ranked school.  I was admitted there last year and I think I might have chosen the wrong school...it’s just not a great fit with my personality, interests and attitude.  Anyhow, I'm wondering if anyone here has transferred to CLS after earning mediocre 1L grades at a nominally “better” school (Stanford, Harvard, or Yale).  Any comments on prospects and/or process will be most welcome.   

Stanford is a good school- stay there, then move to NY. Long-term job prospects will be better. HTH

elo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2005, 01:37:03 PM »
I transferred from a YHS to Michigan and it was one of the best decisions I ever made. Michigan was a much better personality fit and I found their faculty generally better (more published, too). I also had no trouble getting my first choice law firm after my 2L year. The recruiting there was identical, except perhaps for the very bottom of the class, where YLS would have an advantage. Bottom line--there are plenty of good reasons to transfer within the top ten and plenty of good jobs to go around for students at top ten law schools. I would trust your instinct on this. (Of course, it is a question you will be asked by interviewers, so do have a good answer ready.)

Ezekiel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2005, 11:13:27 PM »
I transferred from a YHS to Michigan and it was one of the best decisions I ever made. Michigan was a much better personality fit and I found their faculty generally better (more published, too). I also had no trouble getting my first choice law firm after my 2L year. The recruiting there was identical, except perhaps for the very bottom of the class, where YLS would have an advantage. Bottom line--there are plenty of good reasons to transfer within the top ten and plenty of good jobs to go around for students at top ten law schools. I would trust your instinct on this. (Of course, it is a question you will be asked by interviewers, so do have a good answer ready.)

I'm curious why you decided on Michigan.  I will be starting at Michigan this summer (in less than a month) and
it was my top choice of any law school in the country (I loved the campus, the atmosphere, and the faculty seemed
excellent and *key* accessible).  Just wonder what made you choose it.