Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Besides a palm pilot, what else is there?  (Read 580 times)

carrie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Besides a palm pilot, what else is there?
« on: March 13, 2005, 08:17:31 PM »
I have a Palm V (old, I know) and I'm looking for something else similar to it but with more features.  Does anyone else own something like this?  Also, what's it's called and where can I get it?

Thanks

carrie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Besides a palm pilot, what else is there?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2005, 07:37:26 PM »
bump!

zemog

• Sr. Citizen
  • Evening PT 2L at a third tier toilet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2005, 12:07:21 AM »
Here's a link to PCworld's top 10 PDAs.  http://pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,118251,00.asp

Hopefully this link will help you.  They have a lot of reviews of different kinds of PDAs and electronic stuff in general like notebooks, desktops, etc. 

carrie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2005, 07:28:18 PM »
Thanks a bunch!

Here's a link to PCworld's top 10 PDAs.  http://pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,118251,00.asp

Hopefully this link will help you.  They have a lot of reviews of different kinds of PDAs and electronic stuff in general like notebooks, desktops, etc. 

jdmaxey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2005, 05:42:59 PM »
Carrie,

I don't post too much but you have brought up a topic I can weigh in on. As a computer engineer I have watched the PDA technology develop over the years. I currently have an Ipaq h5550 which is a decent PDA that includes a biometrics fingerprint scanner for secure logon. Slap my little foldout keyboard on it and I'm set for any geek contest.  ;D

I want to caution you before you spend $300 - $700 on a PDA. The PDA market has been in a sharp decline for several years now thanks to smartphones. The current standard for cellphones called 3G is impressive. I don't want to get into the weeds on this, but 3G cellphones come with cable modem/DSL bandwidth speeds, embedded GPS functionality and many other advanced features. What manufacturers have done is take these standards and included features of the common PDA into a phone. These phones have become the cancer to the PDA market because most people do not want to carry a phone and PDA when they can combine that functionality into one device. These smartphones can be costly, but nothing worse than a decent PDA.

Of course it's your money and situation that you have to consider, but don't rule out the smartphone when deciding. I think you will be very happy with one.

If you do decide to stick with a PDA you should test the Palm vs Windows operating system to see which you like better.

I do not work for any cellphone provider or manufacturer. I work for the government, so I'm not trying to sell anything. I don't own a smartphone (yet) and really don't know which provider has the best deal.

Good luck.

Joe