Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Housing  (Read 10042 times)

Masticatrix

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Housing
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2005, 07:21:44 PM »
Sorry to reply to such an old post, but I am just starting to grasp the fact I will be moving in 2 months or so. I am definately going to Hastings unless I get off a wait list at USC. I would rather live in San Fran, but would prefer USC for better faculty accessibility, school resources, ect.

I am opting out of the Towers b/c I have 2 cats and therefore do no qualify. My boyfriend and I are looking for a 2 bedroom but after taking a look at rents that may not be possible. Is anyone else living off campus? I am in So Cal so it is feasible for us to drive up there a few weekends to check some places out.

S.F. in general has more bums than I think I have ever seen in the U.S. S.F. is obviously a progressive city, and they are a good place for bums. Unlike New York that arrests bums and takes them far away hoping they cannot find their way bag, S.F. for the most part lets them live in peace.

When I visited for the Admitted STudents Day I stayed in a hotel by Union Square. I walked to Hastings on the Saturday morning around 9. WHen I asked the guy at my hotel for directions he told me to take a taxi b/c "he would not let his sister walk in that area alone." I had a few cat calls, but other than that had no problems.

I'm living off-campus, too, and planning to look in the inner Sunset/lower Haight/Mission neighborhoods.  Have you checked Craigslist for an idea of the apartments that are available in specific neighborhoods?

The only thing that disappoints me is how friggin' expensive San Francisco is...one bedrooms there are still $200-400 more than places I've lived in Los Angeles and Chicago, even after the apparent drastic drop in the rental market in the past few years.  I'm stocking up on Ramen this summer.
Attending: Hastings

TigerLoo

Melinda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Housing
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2005, 07:54:37 PM »
I live in Orange County, CA and have a view of the ocean, and S.F. is still going to be a huge rent increase for me.  I guess it won't be as much of a shock as ppl. coming from rural areas.

I have been looking on Craiglist too to get a feel.  I will probably go start physically looking at apartments in early July.  I have been interested in similar areas, and hoping to find something near the BART.  So are you loking at one bedrooms?  We are trying to find a 2 bedroom w/ parking if possible, and finding nothing interesting less than $1,600.  To get something I really like it will be at least $2,000.