Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Housing  (Read 10001 times)

Grubesac

• View Profile
Housing
« on: March 11, 2005, 11:03:34 AM »
Ok, will someone tell me why should I be putting down 650-1000 per
month to live in rooms ranging from ridiculously tiny to just tiny.
I talked to someone from the tower and she said the efficiencies are
250 sq ft. Do you know how small that is? I suppose I could always
pay a little more for a room that is 450 square feet.

Thing is, for the price thats small, even by San Francisco
standards, ESPECIALLY considering the neighborhood. Ok, so why is it
that I am trying to move into this place. Whats the benefit? Are my
complaints/concerns not valid?

I also find it intriguing that they do not post any interior shots of the residence units. Are they that bad?

I'm just having a hard time justifying why I'm attempting ot put down large sums of money for a place, that I don't feel is worth the price. Will someone please vindicate my actions?

Brisco

• View Profile
Re: Housing
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2005, 05:21:05 PM »
Welcome to San Francisco, that'll be 10 dollars an hour to park on this spot, oh and you'll have to pay extra to the hobos to not trash your car and steal the tires.

zakrob

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2005, 12:31:21 PM »
I know, I have been struggling with the same thing. Do you have any idea what the square footage is on a one bedroom? Is that the 450? I actually mailed in my app today, and I plan on scheduling an appt. to look at one of the units in a couple of weeks. I know that utilities including wireless internet access are included in the rent so that makes the price seem like more of a deal.
Fortune cookie wisdom: No one knows what she can do until she tries

Grubesac

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2005, 04:43:34 PM »
You'll have to let me know what they look like. If you've gone already let me know and give me the details: namely size, overall aesthetic quality, and the size and extent of the weight room. I'm flying by the seat of my pants on all this *&^%. I'm from Minneapolis and its not economically feasible for me to check the living situation out. Bascially what it comes down to is that I know I can find a better place for the equivalent price with the same incentives/utilities etc, but I don't have the time, energy or the give a @#!* to do it. I don't want to have a car, they suck, and this place fits the bill. Plus I love homeless people and bad neighborhoods. I'll be very interested to see the this area around campus that is so bad. I can't figure out if its that people in San Fran aren't used to seeing homeless people in their little Upper Class city, or if the homeless people are really that thick. I see homeless people everyday, and speak with many of them, that doesn't scare me. Northeast Minneapolis scares me. Thats a place you don't want to be, unless you want to be shot or get hard looking at rundown, vacant properties.

kurt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2005, 08:25:05 PM »
I went to the admitted students day last Saturday, so I can answer some of your questions.  The Civic Center/Tenderloin neighborhood where Hastings is located, is not some ghetto with crack dealers on every corner and gangs.  But it does have it's share of homeless people and adult establishments.  On the plus side, all the court buildings, city hall, asian art museum, opera house, and symphony building are either just across the street or a few blocks down the street from Hastings.  However, some of the surrounding blocks are definitely a little dodgy.  Over the weekend, I stayed a few blocks away from Hastings at the Powell Hotel, on Powell and Market.  It's not the best neighborhood, but it isn't the worst either.  My biggest complaint about the area, aside from it not being the cleanest, was the night time noise level.  If you can live with the above and use common sense, you should be alright living in the tower. BTW, according to one local, part of the reason there are more bums in the area is because the area is flat and supposedly SF bums don't like hills.  Hence, I didn't find any at the top of Nob Hill, which is only about 1.5 mi from Hastings.

As far as the tower goes, the studios are decent for the price, and the students I met living there didn't have anything negative to say about living there outside of the obvious.  The weight room was well stocked and a decent size.  They have a full array of free weights, all the basic weight benches, machines(including cables), and treadmills.  It isn't fancy but everything you need to seriously work out is there.  The only major thing missing, from my perspective, is a smith machine.  Also, you don't have to live in the tower to use the gym.

Grubesac

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2005, 01:11:53 PM »
Kurt, you the man. You know what, if there is a full size adequate gym, that sells me on the tower anyway. Great stuff. You know its funny, about the homeless and the hills thing, is that i read some other posts months back that said the exact same thing, "bums don't like hills".

I wonder if it isn't more the case that "snobs like nob hill" and all hills in the City. That makes the hills more expensive thereby making them out of the price range for most homeless folks. They wouldn't be tolerated on the hills and would be harrassed by the locals/law enforcement. You don't have that problem on flat (and therefore less valuable) property. That and its probably easier to find places to lie down.

Will you be attending Hastings for sure? Can you compare it to any other schools you have toured? Just sort of curious since I won't be making any such tours until I relocate.

PS - I sorta trashed people on Nob hill and San Fran in general, but I mean no offense. I'm just intrigued at the speed at which people trash the homeless or "bums" as we say. So if wan can call the homeless bums, we can call the "rich" snobs, deal? Ok, deal.

kurt

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2005, 08:44:46 PM »
Grubesac,

Generally speaking, aren't all residential areas too expensive for homeless people, not just locales such as Nob Hill?  Isn't a lack of financial resources one of the hallmarks of the homeless condition?  Or am I mistaken about the personal budget constraints of the homeless?  Kidding aside, there is one particular corner in Houston where certain panhandlers have collected ~$30k+/yr.

Yes, I currently plan on attending Hastings this fall.  The only reason I might delay entering is to work for another year in order to save more money and cut down on the loans. 

I was also accepted to the University of Houston, I live in Houston BTW, and I think it is comparable to Hastings in many ways.  However, in both my opinion and for me personally, Hastings is a better choice.  How I found them similar: student body size is roughly the same; both recruit well in their region, but aren't the top schools; both located in major cities; neither school will win awards for architectural significance, but they are clean and have either been recently upgraded or are currently in the process; the students were friendly at each institution, and contrary to other opinions, I didn't notice any of them walking around with an inferiority complex or bitterness about not getting into school X.  What makes Hastings better IMO: much higher rated among attorneys and judges, and hence the degree should normally carry further outside the region; Houston is HOT half the year and VERY HOT June-August and into September (SF has better weather and cleaner air, plus it isn't flat); and it is my ascertation that the support faculty (financial aid, career services, etc) of Hastings is staffed with more people, better organized, and more effective at performing their duties than UH.  I'm not trying to knock UH one bit, it is a fine school that I wouldn't be ashamed of attending.  In fact, I still haven't completely ruled it out, but at this point I honestly think that Hastings is a better choice for me.

Hope this helps you out.

Grubesac

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2005, 10:31:36 AM »
Thanks. It helps. I was just wondering how you thought the school stacked up against others. People make such a huge deal out of the rankings, and the information I would love to have would be more along the lines of what people who have attended like and dislike.

I have also applied at the University of Minnesota, but they have rolling admissions and I applied very close to the deadline. They reviewed my application and didn't reject me, but put me in an applicant pool that they fill the remaining positions of their class with once they get a better idea of how many of the already accepted students will attend.

Its a hard choice if I am accepted. I can't say anyone in my family or my girlfriend are excited for me to leave, so I get a lot of "here anything back yet from the U" (We call it the UofM around here, and typically its referred to as The U). It would be a thousand times cheaper and colder to stay here. Not to mention, even though the U is higher ranked, I'm not convinced that it places nationally or outside the region much better than say hastings. And hastings is in a region I would already want to be in so it'll be a tough choice if the U wants me.

Thanks for the additional info!

kurt

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2005, 04:54:39 PM »
Hmm... How would I compare Hastings to other schools?  There are 200 other schools and a million different ways to make comparisons.  Given the right set of criteria you could make Pepperdine look superior to Harvard!  Since it is such a broad topic and I'm not a student there, yet, and I don't know any Hastings grads firsthand, I'll just give you my two cents on rankings, and why someone would choose to (or not) attend Hastings in your situation.

I think rankings  have a place in a person's decision, and they do have some merit.  They definitely are useful for both projecting job opportunities immediately after college and providing a reference point among the many schools.  However, I think there are quite a few people that use them as a quantitative answer to a qualitative question because it's the nice easy answer.  We've both heard people say 15 is better than 30 because so and so says it is.  I've always found those arguments to be a lot like those guy who tells you how much better the Lamborghini Diablo is than Porsche 911 Turbo because the Lamborghini's top speed is 5 mph higher.  Big deal, how is that useful in the everyday world?  In the real world, both of those cars perform better than 99% of the others.  It's the same thing with law school and practicing law.  Sure there is a difference between working for a big firm vs a medium size one, but both jobs are way better than being a cashier at The Gap.

If I were in your situation, I would start off by looking at the out of state placement statistics for UofM and talk to their career services office about their success in placing graduates in CA.  If you absolutely want to practice in CA, I'd steer you towards Hastings because it is flat out easier to get a job in the region you go to school in. Remember, if you go to UofM and you want to practice in CA, you are not only competing with local grads for jobs, but also grads from truely elite institutions like Harvard.

I think it is open to debate on how far degrees from certain schools carry outside of their region.  In my opinion, after you get out of the top ten and start heading towards #20 the schools become more regional.  One of the things I look at when assesing how far I think a degree would travel is the schools assesment by Lawyers/Judges.  These are the people that will be hiring you out of law school, not some pre-1L obssessed with rankings.  Hastings reguarly places well in these measurements.  In fact they are very similar to UofM.  Check out the Cooley Ratings here http://www.cooley.edu/rankings/overall2004.htm

There is no one right answer for everyone so I hope this helps.

Melinda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2005, 03:43:28 PM »
Sorry to reply to such an old post, but I am just starting to grasp the fact I will be moving in 2 months or so.  I am definately going to Hastings unless I get off a wait list at USC.  I would rather live in San Fran, but would prefer USC for better faculty accessibility, school resources, ect.

I am opting out of the Towers b/c I have 2 cats and therefore do no qualify.  My boyfriend and I are looking for a 2 bedroom but after taking a look at rents that may not be possible.  Is anyone else living off campus?  I am in So Cal so it is feasible for us to drive up there a few weekends to check some places out.

S.F. in general has more bums than I think I have ever seen in the U.S.  S.F. is obviously a progressive city, and they are a good place for bums.  Unlike New York that arrests bums and takes them far away hoping they cannot find their way bag, S.F. for the most part lets them live in peace.

When I visited for the Admitted STudents Day I stayed in a hotel by Union Square.  I walked to Hastings on the Saturday morning around 9.  WHen I asked the guy at my hotel for directions he told me to take a taxi b/c "he would not let his sister walk in that area alone."  I had a few cat calls, but other than that had no problems.