Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: AAMPLE Program....  (Read 1203 times)

shadowcreeper

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSD Cheerleader
    • View Profile
    • law school hopeful
    • Email
AAMPLE Program....
« on: March 10, 2005, 01:22:26 PM »
I was recently offered admission to the AAMPLE program (Alternative Admission Model Program in Legal Education)at Albany Law School. This program requires me to take two law school classes in an eight week period from the middle of April to the middle of June. After the finals, I need to have completed the classes with a 2.5 (C+) or better to gain admission into the law school.

I have been researching the AAMPLE program, apparently there are other schools that have the AAMPLE program, and a few schools that have different, but similar summer start conditional programs.

Has anyone taken the AAMPLE program or a similar program? If so, what did you think of the program, and were you sucessful? I have read a lot of different things about the program, I am just looking for first hand accounts.

Any info is appreciated.
I can't pass up this oppurtunity to make myself absurd.
I can't pass up this oppurtunity to make myself be heard.
Nobody's gonna stand in my way.
Give it up son, I'm doin this my way.. Seether

http://lawschoolhopeful.blogspot.com/

zemog

• Sr. Citizen
  • Evening PT 2L at a third tier toilet
    • View Profile
Re: AAMPLE Program....
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2005, 02:22:13 PM »
I have taken a similar program at my backup school which will remain nameless, but ended up dropping out about 70% through since I was admitted to a better school.

My program was exactly like law school.  They lectured, we had TA sessions, and also had a midterm and final (I didn't take this since I left early).  It was also based on a curve, so some people in the class will not make it through.

I say if you really want to go there, to go ahead and go for it. What do you have to lose, but about a grand or whatever it costs.  If you don't make it, then you can really think if you want to be a lawyer. 

I personally think if you can't make it here, you will have problems in law school.  It's a pretty good indication if you can make it in a competitive, let me emphasis COMPETITIVE first year. 

JonR0921

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2005, 03:03:47 PM »
I personally think if you can't make it here, you will have problems in law school.  It's a pretty good indication if you can make it in a competitive, let me emphasis COMPETITIVE first year. 

I'll have to disagree.  While I myself haven't done any such program, I have 3 very close friends who have.  They were successful in the program, but they did say that the program was much more intensive than a 1L class, the reason being that the school wanted to weed out those who wouldn't make it in the JD program.

The point is, if you work hard and set your mind to it, you can do it...but don't be disillusioned into thinking that law school is exactly like that.

shadowcreeper

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSD Cheerleader
    • View Profile
    • law school hopeful
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2005, 04:58:07 PM »
Thanks for the input guys. I figured that it would be similar to law school, but harder since it is fast paced and they are trying to weed people out. I would hope that I would be able to pass... GPA was never my problem...LSAT is.

Do you have any suggestions or extra readings to prepare for the class? They only gave me information about the books needed to actually take the classes.

Thanks again for the info.

zemog

• Sr. Citizen
  • Evening PT 2L at a third tier toilet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2005, 09:21:02 PM »
I would not read anything more than they tell you. If it was like mine, it will be very close to like how a typical law school class will be.  You will have to pay close attention to the professor's style and what he expects on his exams and papers.  For example, if he is very strong on public policy, be sure to mention something about it.  Or for example, if he doesn't care about the issue, for example, if the class is on torts, and he just prefers you to write,
A v. B, and then underline battery, then do the format he suggests. 

In my summer class, we had a TA.  They had very very very much influence as to if you would make it or not.  Do not underestimate their power.  Mine was so that if you passed the exam but the TA still thought you wouldn't make it, the TA could deny your admission. 

shadowcreeper

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSD Cheerleader
    • View Profile
    • law school hopeful
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2005, 07:43:34 AM »
The classes that I will be taking are taught online. So, I doubt there will be a TA, but who knows. I just hope that the prof. that teaches the class will be a good communicator. I think the online environment is going to make this a little more challenging, but I hope not too much more. I am a little worried about getting used to what the prof likes and expects since everything is online. But, you are right, if he/she likes something a certain way, I know I have to give it back to them in the same manner.

As for not reading anything additional, I have no idea how to outline or brief cases, so I am definitely buying a book on that.

~K