Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: US-China Relations  (Read 535 times)

cacless

• View Profile
    • Email
US-China Relations
« on: March 05, 2005, 02:46:52 PM »
I am doing a project for my international law class.  I was wondering if I could receive some help on a few questions.

What do you think about the US and China relations in the future?

Does the Olympics have any effect on our relationship with China?

Why is it important to have a relationship with China?

Thanks,
Danny

breadboy

• View Profile
Re: US-China Relations
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2005, 07:43:23 PM »

What do you think about the US and China relations in the future?

Its going to be a rocky experience

Does the Olympics have any effect on our relationship with China?

Other than lend credence to China this sort of stuff is rather temporary. Did the last olympics change our relationship with Greece?

Why is it important to have a relationship with China?

they are the worlds biggest and least tapped market. they can provide us with cheap labor. ignoring them does a disservice to our economic prospects among many other things.

cacless

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2005, 03:06:28 AM »
anyone else?

JackInTheBox

• Sr. Citizen
  • Eggnog and Pumpkin Pie Shakes Make Me In The Box
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2005, 11:46:32 AM »
I'm not sure the exact numbers, but they house a good percentage of the world population.  Their population is something the US has never dealt with.  Their military incredibly outnumbers us, and although they don't have all the same technology we have, they arn't that far behind.  Considering how the country reacted during the Cold War with the USSR(whose population and technology is dwarfed by China), I think it is reasonable to be concerned if the relaionship continues as it's going.

zemog

• Sr. Citizen
  • Evening PT 2L at a third tier toilet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2005, 12:03:41 PM »
I think the main thing is the fact that they have so many people and since they were closed for so long, it's sort of like an consumer market that still has a lot of untapped $$$. 

The US has to weigh whether that untapped consumer base is worth blowing off.  Obviously, as of now, it's not, as we have many US companies invested there and we tread a fine line when saying something about their human rights or Taiwan.  The US says something but that's about it.  Nothing major like sanctions or anything like that. 

If the US turns it's back on China, China will do all their business with the European Union or Russia.  Not that the US will fall apart or anything like that, but it's bad business. 

On a side note, I'm not buying the military analysis by the poster before me.  Though they have a lot of people (North Korea does too but that doesn't mean anything) and nuclear capability and deteriorated Russian military advances, they are no where near our military capability.  It would be a losing and stupid battle for China to fight us militarily.  That said, it would be stupid for the US to do anything militarily against China for the fact that it will cut off the untapped market I was talking about in the beginning.

C-BASS

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2005, 02:24:17 PM »
The most important aspect of our relationship with them right now has got to be the effort to rid North Korea of nukes. We will not be able to do that without China, they don't want North Kora to have nuclear capabilities either, so it has created an akward alliance. Aside from that China is nothing but trouble. At least it's somewhat stable and predictable trouble though. This whole Iran thing is scaring the $hit out of me.