Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: No one has anything to say about UConn???  (Read 17129 times)

NeverForever

• View Profile
Re: No one has anything to say about UConn???
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2005, 11:25:02 PM »
I'll be looking around the apartment complexes in the Hartford/West Hartford/Farmington area in 2-3 weeks, so I'll post what I find when I get back if that's helpful.

Deleted Account

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2005, 10:26:04 AM »
so i took a ride around UConn yesterday, and there are tons of apartments out there.  There are "for rent" signs everywhere.   My general impression is that if you want to be close by the school, the West End is fine, definitely livable, but maybe not ideal depending on your personal preferences or economic situation.

If you travel west on on Farmington Ave into West Hartford, there are many apartment complexes on either side of the street.  They seem to get nicer looking as you go west.  For reference the addresses would about 600 - 1200 Farmington Ave and that will take you to West Hartford Center - now this is a really nice area with shops, and restaurants.  If you go out on some of the side streets, there are several condo complexes and apartments.  This area is going to be alittle more expensive, but at least you can take a walk from your home to grab a coffee or go out to dinner, etc.. And it's only abot 5 min from school. (to keep in mind:  even if your rent is more expensive in the suburbs, your car insurance will be outrageous if your in Hartford)

i'm wondering how long the school will wait to send us rental information, or give us a login to check on the website, but in the meantime, apartments.com, and craigslist will have to do.

Also for you out of staters, the Connecticut State website has changed recently from ctnow.com  CTnow will only post entertainment guides, and other fun stuff, while news, and info will be on the new courant.com website  Classifieds are listed there.

blake840

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2005, 12:30:26 PM »
I have been checking out craigslist and stuff, and I may take a ride up there tomorrow or sunday (I live in New Haven, so it's just a 40 min drive.) just to get a better idea of which neighborhoods are good/bad/livable.  Sometimes the picture of a place looks decent when it's out of context, but not so great when you ge there.

I'll send up a post if i can make any determinations...

I live in East Haven...but I'm not getting an apartment, I'm just going to suck it up and drive it. 
Uconn Law 1L.

Deleted Account

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2005, 01:21:00 PM »
you live in East Haven?  Me too.  That's crazy

blake840

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2005, 06:16:18 PM »
You definately look familiar...Did you go to EHHS?  If so, what year did you graduate?

*edit*

nevermind, I  definately knew that I had seen you before and I had, it was on steve thompson's facebook.  So I facebooked you!
Uconn Law 1L.

yankeeman

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2005, 02:11:44 PM »

Also for you out of staters, the Connecticut State website has changed recently from ctnow.com  CTnow will only post entertainment guides, and other fun stuff, while news, and info will be on the new courant.com website  Classifieds are listed there.

Great, thanks!  I've poked around and found some of sites online, and similar ones.  Seems like a great deal of vacancies in apartment houses, but, as someone said before, you really have to get a feel for the neighborhood and the setting before deciding to go ahead.  I heard from a current 1L, and she said that people even live as far away as a few exits up and down I-91.  I think that's gutsy; I'd rather roll out of bed and be there.  Plus, UConn doesn't have a great deal of parking spaces to have to contend with on a daily basis.  Shlepping it in from East Haven has to be a stretch.

I was away on business this past week and a half, so I'm hoping to head up this weekend from Long Island, work permitting.

blake840

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2005, 09:36:22 PM »
Well its gonna be a cakewalk compared to my commute now.  I am living on cape cod and I commute to Boston for school.  Now that should only be like 1 hour...but with Boston traffic it is like 3 each way.  So I can't wait for my commute to uconn from east haven!

I'm going to the evening division anyway, so there will be enough parking....
Uconn Law 1L.

Strijder

• Whee!!!
    • View Profile
    • Strijder on LSN
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2005, 02:02:30 PM »
A Yahoo Group has been created for discussion of Uconn Law. It can be accessed at the following URL:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/UconnLaw/
Feel free to join and share your UConn/Hartford knowledge and experience!
163/3.53
Accepted: UCONN($), Baylor
Waitlisted: BYU, William and Mary, Notre Dame, Washington and Lee
Rejected: GMU, UNC Chapel Hill

Strijder

• Whee!!!
    • View Profile
    • Strijder on LSN
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2006, 12:18:57 PM »
I'll be a 2L at UConn this semester and don't mind answering any questions.  PM me or email me at thompsos <AT> gmail <DOT> com
163/3.53
Accepted: UCONN($), Baylor
Waitlisted: BYU, William and Mary, Notre Dame, Washington and Lee
Rejected: GMU, UNC Chapel Hill