Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Will be Looking for a Roommate for Fall...  (Read 2767 times)

SleepyGuyYawn

• View Profile
Will be Looking for a Roommate for Fall...
« on: March 03, 2005, 09:12:28 PM »
Looking for a roommate this fall ... at pitt...

sita

• AOL Instant Messenger - sita25p
    • View Profile
Re: Will be Looking for a Roommate for Fall...
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2005, 09:10:54 AM »
I got word about the public interest scholarship this weekend.  Looks like I will be joining you in the fall at Pitt.  Woohoo! 

SleepyGuyYawn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2005, 05:22:49 PM »
Wow!  Huge congrats!

I'm interested -- is it a $10,000 scholarship? 

I actually applied for it, and then later withdrew my application for various reasons.  But I never learned for sure what the amount was.

Anyhow, you'll love Pittsburgh.  In the market for a roommate?

sita

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2005, 08:08:37 AM »
The scholarship is for $12,000.  Based on your post we could never live together because I'm too old for you.  ;) I turn 29 today!  Also, I have a dog. Will you be at the open house?  If you can live with a 29 year old dog lover it might work. 

SleepyGuyYawn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2005, 01:29:42 PM »
An extra note:

I was just on a Pitt Law Chat thing for Admitted students.  And one had some good advice about housing.

He said that Bloomfield is a great area.  It borders Shadyside (so it's only a few more minutes added to the commute) and it's safe like Shadyside.  But it's a lot cheaper.  He shares a nice, four-bedroom house with one other person for $300 each (each of them has a bedroom and an office).

Anyhow, I found that interesting. 

sita

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2005, 03:50:05 PM »
I have been looking closely at squirrel hill.  My dog, Camiel, is a aussie/hound mix.  She is definitely a good dog for compassion. I was on the online chat too. Bloomfield might be a little far you think?

SleepyGuyYawn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2005, 04:37:43 PM »
Yea, perhaps Bloomfield might be just a bit far I guess.  Somebody recommended www.craigslist.org and I've been looking at prices today.  I found 3 bedroom apartments in Squirrel Hill for like $850:

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/apa/62414363.html

That's just an example, of course.  I'm not sure what you'd pay in Kentucky for something like this -- but in Ann Arbor you'd be looking at $1300, probably more.  I was especially struck at the range in prices.  You can pay $850 for a really nice three bedroom in a really great area, or you could probably pay that for a one bedroom in a nice area.  It's so odd.  But this was true of Ann Arbor (where I've lived for several years) as well.

It seems that three and four bedroom apartments (or houses) would be a better deal, both for rent and for utilities.  That's what I may end up trying to do -- share a three or four bedroom apt or house.  It might be a good call for you, as well.  If you could find a few people that don't mind a dog, it might make a dog a lot more managable in law school (all the people to give her attention too).

I am tempted to try to find a couple people and jump on something good before this summer.  I'm not a big fan of waiting until June or July.  It just seems like prices are pretty good now, and in the near future.  Why take the chance of waiting...

SleepyGuyYawn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2005, 04:39:17 PM »
Can you imagine four 1L's living in the same house though?  Talk about stress levels!

:D