Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: maritime law  (Read 4217 times)

JackInTheBox

• Sr. Citizen
  • Eggnog and Pumpkin Pie Shakes Make Me In The Box
    • View Profile
    • Email
maritime law
« on: March 03, 2005, 12:03:10 PM »
Anyone know what kind of background someone going into maritime law needs?  I have no experience or knowledge of the subject; I find it really interesting though.

I live five minutes from Cal Maritime University, so I defintely have the resources to obtain a background; I don't know what kind of classwork to take though, as a lot of it is piloting different boats, navigation, and other practical training into using boats.  I might be wrong, but I don't think that's what I need training in.

JackInTheBox

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: maritime law
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 11:02:56 PM »
Thought I would reply and put this post back at the top of the query.  Any information appreciated.

SLJ0720

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2005, 11:34:59 PM »
I am assuming your school doesn't offer a course in this area or else you wouldn't have posted this.  Are there any other law schools nearby that offer a class in this area?  Even if you are graduating this year, and therefore couldn't take the course, you could speak with the professor of that class. I would talk to professors at your school - maybe there is a professor there who has experience in this area and you just don't know it, or maybe a professor knows of an attorney practicing in this area whom you can contact.  Look on Martindale-Hubbell and search under maritime law in your location. Contact the attorneys listed, see if you can schedule an informational interview with them.  Go to bar association meetings and network.  Contact career services at your school and see if they can help.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I think my contracts professor mentioned that maritime law involves a lot of contract issues.  If this is so, see if your contracts prof. has any suggestions.  If all else fails, maybe someone at the maritime university you mentioned knows of someone you can contact.  Can't hurt to ask. 

JackInTheBox

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2005, 12:12:24 AM »
Thanks for the reply.  To clarify, I am not in law school yet.  I have been accepted many places, but I also am on contract with the USAF...

So, potentially, I have two more years I could invest in classwork other than law.  Just wondering what kind of maritime classwork I should be looking into.

linquest

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2005, 04:55:02 PM »
Maybe just google something like "maritime law school" and see what you pull up.  I know schools offer maritime law courses, but I think it's usually just one general course, since it's a very specialized area.  I wonder if international trade courses might touch on the topic

I heard that St. John's in NY offers a maritime law clinic, but not sure.  I have a 2L friend taking the class at Hofstra, so I'll ask him what he thinks.
Fed gov't atty

ssls1338

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2005, 10:11:30 AM »
Tulane Law School has an enormous admiralty and maritime law program, or so i've heard, from all of their promotional materials

3Ldude

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2005, 12:30:12 AM »
I have recently taken maritime law and loved it.  I can provide you with an outline of the topic and anyextranewous info that you need about it.  It is a lot of contract stuff but very different types of contract stuff (bills of lading, COGSA, harter act etc.)  It's also a lot of jurisdictional stuff.  I will warn you its a shrinking practice area and there are very few jobs in it.. reply to this and I'll be glad to help