Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: HELP ME WITH PROPERTY *&^%  (Read 1744 times)

Boxergirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • gpa 3.45/lsat 156
    • View Profile
HELP ME WITH PROPERTY *&^%
« on: March 02, 2005, 11:25:02 AM »
hey...i'm pretty lost right now in Property concerning future interests, RAP, alienation, etc....All the O and A and this and that crap is driving me nuts....Can anyone explain this *&^%?

rapunzel

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: HELP ME WITH PROPERTY *&^%
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2005, 07:45:28 PM »
Unfortunately no one can.  See Lucas v. Hamm, 364 P.2d 685 (Cal. 1961).
Apparently, according to the California Supreme Court, nobody can be expected to understand the Rule Against Perpetuities.  That's why it has been made moot by statute in most jurisdictions.

Charles Nelson and Peter Wendel , A Possessory Estates and Future Interests Primer was helpful to me, in the very limited way in which I was ever able to grasp any of it.

SLJ0720

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2005, 08:40:57 PM »
I used the Lexis Nexis Understanding Property book for help with RAP. 

lipper

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2005, 03:05:28 AM »
hey, put urself in my shoes. my prof. is quoted is in the dukemenier(sp?) property book explaining future interests. he also wrote a lexis book on future interests. the guy can look at a fact pattern, and decide if it violates the RAP in seconds. i got a 38 on the final exam for property - thank god that was a B-.

Have most jurisdictions put the RAP to rest? i thought they just adopted USRAP, making the time period 360 years, rather than 21, so mostly everything won't violate it. i thought rhode island was the only jurisdiction that has made the RAP moot.
check the footnotes ya'll

rapunzel

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2005, 08:34:25 PM »
I don't know, I have some vague recollection of a 90 year statutory period. 

lipper

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2005, 10:17:55 PM »
I don't know, I have some vague recollection of a 90 year statutory period. 

yea, i think ur right. it is 90.  where in the hell did i get 360 from? whateva
check the footnotes ya'll

ruskiegirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2005, 07:44:34 PM »
hey...i'm pretty lost right now in Property concerning future interests, RAP, alienation, etc....All the O and A and this and that crap is driving me nuts....Can anyone explain this *&^%?

Are you using any supplements?  Property books are known for being notoriously confusing, so do not despair if you do not feel like you are picking up every ounce of doctrine. 

All the terminology is confusing and you need to really master if before you can solve problems effectively.  The only way to do that is practice.  Examples and Explanations is a good supplement for Property because it serves both purposes.  It explains the doctrine in a digestable way and provides practice problems testing each element of the doctrine you learn.  If you do not feel like that is enough practice, consider getting Seigel's for Property, which will have additional practice problems. 

It's perfectly normal to feel confused.  I know people who AmJured classes last semester who feel completely lost in Property. 

You are only half-way done with the semester; there is plenty of time to recover before finals.

lawgirl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2005, 07:54:27 PM »
I had to use three books to figure it out. Two of them were the West Hornbook series, one of them was Stoebuck and Whitman "Property" third edition. The other hornbook was Hovenkamp and Kurtz "The Law of Property" fifth edition. I think it was the Hovenkamp and Kurtz book that helped me the most. I also used the "Understanding" series for Property by Lexis. I finally got it, but it took awhile.

joe

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2005, 07:59:30 PM »
Property SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >:(

Boxergirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • gpa 3.45/lsat 156
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2005, 12:02:21 PM »
Thanks guys, for all the suggestions...I'll keep truckin'.