Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Supreme Court Rules Junevile Death Penalty Unconstitutional  (Read 7297 times)

rezipsa

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Supreme Court Rules Junevile Death Penalty Unconstitutional
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2005, 12:32:06 PM »
To tell you the truth, I don't think your comments about gang-bangers were racist, that was the other guy who said that (lipper).  What I couldn't get over (and responded to) was your assertion that since you were a minority talking about other minorities- your comments can't be racist - implying that you have to be in the majority population (in our case - white) in order to be a racist. 

and about the "shut up already" comments, you need to check out the history before being all critical.  jdmba2007 AKA JD2MBA AKA other names on other boards is a total troll who posts straight from his blog in order to get people to read his blog.  His first posts were straight out ads - like "come read my stuff" and people gave him a hard time so he toned it down - but still all he is trying to do is divert attention into his forum by starting current event/controversial topid threads that he does not participate in after starting them.  It gets really lame when someone starts all these topics that are like "I went to an interview today, I think I aced it because I answered all the questions properly when we talked about investment advice.  Comments?  www.jd2mba.etc.com"  so I had to regulate, and LSD is a better place because of it.

peace

Good point about the racist comment.  I still don't think I am racist.  Maybe it was the way it was interpreted.  I noticed that people make comments without backing it up.

As for shut up already - thanks for info.  Being a newbie, I am not privy to this.

I still think the opinion is bad...

Burning Sands

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2005, 03:32:44 PM »
You guys are funny.

The problem with the death penalty for youngsters out there, white, black, mexican, WHATEVER is that it holds no weight whatsoever.  You guys are placing too much stock in the utilitarian aspect of the death penatly.  A 16 year old punk with a 9mm does not give a f*ck about going to jail OR going to the gas chamber when they make up their 16 year old mind to kill that kid over there because he has better sneakers or a nicer jacket. 

This argument is moot.  Look at who were't talking about who's committing these 1st degree murders.
Burning Sands

lipper

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2005, 03:35:43 PM »
i think the purpose of the death penalty is not to deter crime, rather it is to punish. most homocides are not calculated murders that took planning; they are crimes of passion, where the wrong-doer did not even contemplate the consequences of their actions. The fact that the death penalty is now unconstitutional for juveniles means nothing.
check the footnotes ya'll

quantum

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2007, 12:11:51 AM »

I think the purpose of the death penalty is not to deter crime, rather it is to punish. Most homocides are not calculated murders that took planning; they are crimes of passion, where the wrong-doer did not even contemplate the consequences of their actions. The fact that the death penalty is now unconstitutional for juveniles means nothing.

They say, "Murder is, by definition, a crime of passion." The question is who's passionate. 

one shoe

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2007, 03:27:08 AM »

I think the purpose of the death penalty is not to deter crime, rather it is to punish. Most homocides are not calculated murders that took planning; they are crimes of passion, where the wrong-doer did not even contemplate the consequences of their actions. The fact that the death penalty is now unconstitutional for juveniles means nothing.

They say, "Murder is, by definition, a crime of passion." The question is who's passionate. 

LOL quantum - "The Deadly Look of Love"!

erand

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2008, 02:17:45 PM »

Delusional stalkers frequently have little, if any, contact with their victims. They have major mental illnesses like schizophrenia, manic-depression or erotomania, and come from an abusive or emotionally barren family background with a poor sense of their own identity.  They hold tight to some false belief that keeps them tied to their victims. In erotomania, the stalker's delusional belief is that the victim loves him. This type of stalker actually believes that he is having a relationship with his victim, even though they might never have met. The woman stalking David Letterman, the stalker who killed actress Rebecca Schaeffer and the man who stalked Madonna are all examples of this. Another type of delusional stalker believes he is destined to be with someone, and that if he only pursues her hard enough and long enough, she will come to love him as he loves her. These stalkers know they are not having a relationship with their victims, but firmly believe that they will some day. John Hinckley Jr. and his obsession with Jodi Foster is an example of this type of stalker.

Delusional stalkers are typically unmarried and socially immature loners who are unable to establish or sustain close relationships with others. They rarely date and have had few, if any, sexual relationships. Since they are both threatened by and yearn for closeness, they often pick victims who are unattainable in some way; married women, a therapist, clergyman, doctor or teacher. Those in the helping professions are particularly vulnerable to delusional stalkers. Any kindness shown to this kind of stalker will be blown out of proportion into a delusion of intimacy. What these stalkers cannot attain in reality is achieved through fantasy. While some seek out a victim of higher status (doctors, lawyers, teachers), others seek out celebrities. Celebrity stalkers often psychotically "hear" or "see" something in the words or appearances of the victim. They are often convinced that the celebrity is sending them cryptic messages intended only for them to understand. Erotomanic delusions last an average of 10 years.

babychicken

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2008, 02:27:52 PM »
FYI, you spelled JUVENILE wrong in the post heading!

rhombot

• Sr. Citizen
  • hanthala
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2008, 03:20:27 PM »
FYI, you spelled JUVENILE wrong in the post heading!

the death penalty is jejune and vile. also unconstitutional.
case '09

l o l a

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2008, 12:35:31 PM »

Delusional stalkers frequently have little, if any, contact with their victims. They have major mental illnesses like schizophrenia, manic-depression or erotomania, and come from an abusive or emotionally barren family background with a poor sense of their own identity.  They hold tight to some false belief that keeps them tied to their victims. In erotomania, the stalker's delusional belief is that the victim loves him. This type of stalker actually believes that he is having a relationship with his victim, even though they might never have met. The woman stalking David Letterman, the stalker who killed actress Rebecca Schaeffer and the man who stalked Madonna are all examples of this. Another type of delusional stalker believes he is destined to be with someone, and that if he only pursues her hard enough and long enough, she will come to love him as he loves her. These stalkers know they are not having a relationship with their victims, but firmly believe that they will some day. John Hinckley Jr. and his obsession with Jodi Foster is an example of this type of stalker.

Delusional stalkers are typically unmarried and socially immature loners who are unable to establish or sustain close relationships with others. They rarely date and have had few, if any, sexual relationships. Since they are both threatened by and yearn for closeness, they often pick victims who are unattainable in some way; married women, a therapist, clergyman, doctor or teacher. Those in the helping professions are particularly vulnerable to delusional stalkers. Any kindness shown to this kind of stalker will be blown out of proportion into a delusion of intimacy. What these stalkers cannot attain in reality is achieved through fantasy. While some seek out a victim of higher status (doctors, lawyers, teachers), others seek out celebrities. Celebrity stalkers often psychotically "hear" or "see" something in the words or appearances of the victim. They are often convinced that the celebrity is sending them cryptic messages intended only for them to understand. Erotomanic delusions last an average of 10 years.

erand, does the woman/man of the movie qualify as erotomanic or not?

muhamad

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2008, 04:11:29 PM »
Hi lola! I've watched that movie and it seems the directors have left unclear on purpose the issue whether the man/woman was erotomanic.