Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Supreme Court Rules Junevile Death Penalty Unconstitutional  (Read 7377 times)

jdmba2007

• View Profile
    • JD/MBA blog
Supreme Court Rules Junevile Death Penalty Unconstitutional
« on: March 01, 2005, 10:24:08 PM »
It was a close vote:
5-4

I am happy about the decision! Anyone disagree?

JD2MBGAY

• View Profile
Re: Supreme Court Rules Junevile Death Penalty Unconstitutional
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 02:27:31 AM »
Shut up already.

rezipsa

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2005, 02:32:11 PM »
I think the opinion was crap.

I tend to agree with Scalia's dissent and how the majority's statistics don't make sense.

I also think that someone who is under 18 can form the sufficient intent for murder-one.  I believe that it should be up to the states to determine if the minor has formed the intent to try him as an adult and for the death penalty. 

Too many "gang bangers" who are under 18 will commit murder-one and will not suffer the consequences.  Sure they will go prison for their actions, but prison is not bad for a "gang banger".

Just my thoughts.

lipper

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2005, 08:39:20 AM »
too many "gang bangers"?

so what ur saying is ur a rascist.

check the footnotes ya'll

rezipsa

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2005, 11:47:17 AM »
how can i be racist if i an minority (mexican) talking about other minorities.   

i see too many minorities fall into the "gang" glamour.  if there are strict consequences for their actions, maybe a few "gang bangers" will think twice.

JD2MBGAY

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2005, 01:15:20 PM »
how can i be racist if i an minority (mexican) talking about other minorities.   

Who is this guy?  Can we put his quote in the lobby of the southern poverty law center?  Oh your honor, sorry about burning that cross in the colored fellow's front yard, I hope you understand that I am a minority as well, so therefore I cannot be a racist.

Just because you are Mexican, doesn't give you carte blanche to make racist comments about other minorities...  it doesn't work that way.

rezipsa

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2005, 03:07:03 PM »
how are my comments racist?  prove your point.  if not, give your opinion on the supreme court ruling and stop placing lame comments.

as i mentioned earlier, i have seen tons of minorities go down the wrong path.  now the consequences for their actions is minimized.  gang members can have their members who are under 18 commit murder.  these under age members will not get the death penalty in any circumstances.

you're an idiot to think that my comments are racist.  you are on this board to place stupid comments like "shut up already."  yeah, whatever...

JD2MBGAY

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2005, 03:48:50 PM »
To tell you the truth, I don't think your comments about gang-bangers were racist, that was the other guy who said that (lipper).  What I couldn't get over (and responded to) was your assertion that since you were a minority talking about other minorities- your comments can't be racist - implying that you have to be in the majority population (in our case - white) in order to be a racist. 

and about the "shut up already" comments, you need to check out the history before being all critical.  jdmba2007 AKA JD2MBA AKA other names on other boards is a total troll who posts straight from his blog in order to get people to read his blog.  His first posts were straight out ads - like "come read my stuff" and people gave him a hard time so he toned it down - but still all he is trying to do is divert attention into his forum by starting current event/controversial topid threads that he does not participate in after starting them.  It gets really lame when someone starts all these topics that are like "I went to an interview today, I think I aced it because I answered all the questions properly when we talked about investment advice.  Comments?  www.jd2mba.etc.com"  so I had to regulate, and LSD is a better place because of it.

peace

rick8481

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm In!!!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2005, 05:15:36 PM »
I love how the issue has degenerated into "If you are a non-white minority, is it not racist to make comments that, if said by a white person, would be considered racist?"

First off, you conceded that your comments would be racist if you were not a mexican based on the fact that you specified you were a mexican in order to escape an accusation of racism.

Therefore, unless you make the dumb-ass assumption that only whites can be racist, your comments are indeed racist.

The ability to form intent on the part of a minor is assuming that the minor should be placed in the same catagory as adults.  The issue is not forming intent, but understanding that intent and the individual's maturity and development.  I suppose we should execute retarded people too.  They can form intent as easily as any adult. There is a difference between a 16 year old and a 30 year old.  If you say there are none, there are a number of laws that you must take issue with.
3.1  157
Accepted: Mercer, Stetson, Florida Coastal w/ $$$
A**holes: Georgia State 
Wait Listed: UGA,
Hold:  FSU

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=rick8481

JonR0921

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2005, 03:07:48 PM »
The whole case could have been avoided if the Supreme Court realized that the detah penalty by definition violates the Eighth Amendment.  Unfortunately, with Rehnquist and (possibly) various other justices on the way out, Bush will have the opportunity to fill the Court with conservative justices, and may perhaps appoint the worst of them all (Scalia) as Chief Justice.  My point is that unfortunately, this violation of the Eighth Amendment will continue, with no end in sight.