12 (37.5%)
166 - 170
 6 (18.8%)
171 - 175
 1 (3.1%)
175+
 5 (15.6%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Author Topic: Where do you stand with your job search?  (Read 4447 times)

ruskiegirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
Where do you stand with your job search?
« on: March 01, 2005, 07:12:33 PM »
Where's everyone going to be working this summer?  Are you satisfied with your placement or was it a last-resort option?

Boxergirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • gpa 3.45/lsat 156
    • View Profile
Re: Where do you stand with your job search?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2005, 11:30:12 PM »
none of your choices in the poll totally fit.  just got hired to clerk for the DA's office...specifically the Juvenile section.  SWEEEEET!

lipper

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2005, 12:08:04 AM »
im in limbo. my uncle knows the ADA who runs the internship program in my county. I sent him my resume, and followed up a week later with a phone call. The guy told me that he put it in the pile of resumes for the program, and that "i'm definitly sure i'll be giving you a call". This was a month ago! so.....i think i have one.
check the footnotes ya'll

SLJ0720

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2005, 01:47:47 PM »
I applied for 2 firm jobs through OCI (there were only a few firms willing to hire 1Ls).  I had an interview last week for one, which was mid-sized.  I think things went well, but If I don't get that job then I am going to sign up at my school for an externship.  Hopefully I'll be able to get a judicial one if I don't get this job.

ruskiegirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2005, 04:55:17 PM »
I applied for 2 firm jobs through OCI (there were only a few firms willing to hire 1Ls).  I had an interview last week for one, which was mid-sized.  I think things went well, but If I don't get that job then I am going to sign up at my school for an externship.  Hopefully I'll be able to get a judicial one if I don't get this job.

Obviously, this no longer applies to SLJ, but for the pre 1L's out there, I would recommend applying to a lot more than 2 firms to have a real shot at a summer associate position.  Basically, you have to keep in mind that it is very difficult to get these positions, mainly because, as SLJ pointed out, very few firms hire 1L's.  I go to a T14 and less than 10% of our students get summer associate positions during the first summer. 

Ideally, if you want to work at a firm, you should apply to no less than 50 firms.  Most of my classmates who were looking for SA positions applied to at least 100.  You can get mail-merge files from the NALP directory, while filtering your employer search to include only firms that hire 1L's.  Think about being mobile -- it will give you more options.  Do you have a grandma in NYC or an auntie in LA?  Call and ask if you could stay with them in the event you get a summer position there.  Also, consider areas where you may not know anyone, because your 2500/week paycheck will be more than enough to cover a short-term sublet.

The more proactive you are, the more likely you are to get a position.

lipper

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2005, 05:56:26 PM »

Obviously, this no longer applies to SLJ, but for the pre 1L's out there, I would recommend applying to a lot more than 2 firms to have a real shot at a summer associate position.  Basically, you have to keep in mind that it is very difficult to get these positions, mainly because, as SLJ pointed out, very few firms hire 1L's.  I go to a T14 and less than 10% of our students get summer associate positions during the first summer. 

Ideally, if you want to work at a firm, you should apply to no less than 50 firms.  Most of my classmates who were looking for SA positions applied to at least 100.  You can get mail-merge files from the NALP directory, while filtering your employer search to include only firms that hire 1L's.  Think about being mobile -- it will give you more options.  Do you have a grandma in NYC or an auntie in LA?  Call and ask if you could stay with them in the event you get a summer position there.  Also, consider areas where you may not know anyone, because your 2500/week paycheck will be more than enough to cover a short-term sublet.

LOLLOLOLOLOL - i love how u incorporated the fact that u go to a T14 into your response.
check the footnotes ya'll

ruskiegirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2005, 10:55:58 PM »

LOLLOLOLOLOL - i love how u incorporated the fact that u go to a T14 into your response.

Obviously, you had some trouble with "role of argument" questions on the LR section.  The only reason I mentioned the T14 is to demonstrate that even students who go to top schools aren't guaranteed a 1L firm job.  Get a life, lipper. ::)

SLJ0720

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2005, 12:52:26 AM »
I will be doing a judicial externship at municipal court this summer.

ruskiegirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2005, 08:54:09 PM »
I will be doing a judicial externship at municipal court this summer.

Yay! Congrats! ;D

MosquitoControl

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2005, 07:49:39 PM »
Just got hired as a research assistant.

I'm pretty happy, I must say.