Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Having a baby summer after 1L?  (Read 2506 times)

Jessikally

• View Profile
Having a baby summer after 1L?
« on: February 28, 2005, 08:08:58 PM »
I'm getting married in July. My fiance has a great job, and I got a full-ride to law school, so money won't be an issue. I want to go into government work, and am NOT aiming for a job in BigLaw by any means. Did you, or anyone you know, have a baby during law school? I'd like to aim for summer after 1L or summer after 2L- but would 1L be a better idea because I would need to get some sort of law-related work the summer after 2L?

I've always wanted to be a stay-at-home mom, and this would be the closest I'll ever be able to get to it, and there are some fertility issues that would make starting a family younger more idea than waiting years...advice?

SLJ0720

• View Profile
Re: Having a baby summer after 1L?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2005, 10:06:34 PM »
I would worry about stress affecting your pregnancy, even if the baby is actually born in the summer.  2nd year might be less stressful.  You could get work experience during the school year through externships if your school offers them. 

SLJ0720

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2005, 12:28:03 AM »
I thought of something else - if your scholarship requires a certain GPA or class ranking then a pregnancy during law school might not be good.  Your academic performance could be affected by your pregnancy (being sick, etc).  I definitely wouldn't recommend going through pregnancy during 1L. 

ruskiegirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2005, 04:35:43 AM »
I'm getting married in July. My fiance has a great job, and I got a full-ride to law school, so money won't be an issue. I want to go into government work, and am NOT aiming for a job in BigLaw by any means. Did you, or anyone you know, have a baby during law school? I'd like to aim for summer after 1L or summer after 2L- but would 1L be a better idea because I would need to get some sort of law-related work the summer after 2L?

I've always wanted to be a stay-at-home mom, and this would be the closest I'll ever be able to get to it, and there are some fertility issues that would make starting a family younger more idea than waiting years...advice?

I know a couple of people who had a baby after 1L, but they all took a year off.  Seems like it would be very difficult if you didn't.  Good luck with it!

JD_MSA

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2005, 12:22:17 PM »
A woman in my class got pregnant at the end of our first year.  I haven't seen her since.   

BigRedWarEagle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2005, 02:02:05 PM »
VERY bad idea.  I'm serious here - that is a VERY bad idea.  My wife and I just had our first baby 8 weeks ago and I can honestly say that it is the hardest thing I've ever done in my life.  I've graduated from an Ivy League institution at the top of my class and will say hands-down that having this child has been the most challenging single experience to-date.  Wait until 3L at least.  Having a baby after 1L will do you under.

Jacob, by the way, is one of those 'good natured babies'.  That being said, I feel at times like I'm stuck in the gaping maw of hell.  I love it, of course, but it's pretty dang overwhelming.
You are not your job.

rapunzel

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2005, 08:02:32 PM »
A woman in our class had a baby a few weeks before exams 1L.  I don't know how she did, but she is still with us.  One of the law review members (it's grade on) took a few weeks off to be with his wife when the baby was born at the same time.  He obviousl did well, but hey, he did not give birth.

I do not have children.  That being said I think you should weigh the advice of those with children very carefully.  BigRedWarEagle makes a good point- what if you get a baby with a nice irratable case of colic?

But, too many women wait too long, and you did mention fertility issues.  Depending on your age and health, you should make this an important part of your decision.  Talk to your doctor.  In the end, there never seems to be a time that looks perfect.  After lawschool you will have the pressures of a new job.  It does sound like your finances will allow.  On the other hand, you just got married.  Might be nice to take a little time.

If I were going to have a baby in lawschool I'd wait until after my first year at least.  Any one out there ever had a baby right out of lawschool, on the first job for example?

jla

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2005, 10:44:02 PM »
This comment is somewhat related.  I hope it is helpful.  I know a young lady who started law school when her son was three.  She is a single parent, and she commutes two hours each way to school everyday.  Despite all of this she made law review and is in the top 15 of her class of 250.  If she can handle a child in law school, so can you.  However, the experience may be more difficult than you would like.  I would be less concerned with underperforming in law school than I would be with missing some of the most special moments of your child's life because you are very busy as a 2L.  Unless your going to someplace like Baylor, waiting until the summer after your second year may have less logisitical problems.  Although doing so would likely result in you not being able to participate in a summer associateship during your second summer, but if you plan on being a government attorney the costs of this missed opportunity would be diminished.  I wish you luck and I admire your rational concern and your motivation.
-My  two widow's mites that are worth their weight in air.

jdmba2007

• View Profile
    • JD/MBA blog
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2005, 10:56:55 PM »

It is possible... you will just not have much free time. My mom had 2 kids during law school (I was born on the day her first final was scheduled) and she still finished in the top 10% of her class... she was just very busy and had to be disciplined.

capecod

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2005, 02:04:27 PM »
What would you all do if you'd been accepted to a few top-10 schools (all of which would require relocation) and discovered you were pregnant?

As I see it, the options are: 1) stay at home with the new baby and wait on law school for a year or three, 2) relocate husband and pregnant self to new city and bust one's butt to make decent grades w/ the baby in daycare, 3) relocate, attend law school, and let husband take care of baby (while living in debt and squalor), 4) keep hoping that the top-3 school near one's parents sends an acceptance letter any day.