Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Public Interest Scholarship  (Read 3427 times)

elywolf80

• View Profile
    • Email
Public Interest Scholarship
« on: February 27, 2005, 03:30:06 PM »
I'm just really curious about this scholarship, I want to go into Criminal Prosecution and all of the connection opportunities sounded amazing, not to mention the fabulous financial rewards it offers.... Anyway, I was wondering how competitve this scholarship usually gets (I'm assuming very) and how much prior public service is taken into account, I mean, I know I can get a great letter of recommendation about my dedication towards public service, and I've done stuff with my sorority, but I have a strong feeling I haven't done anything big enough yet.  Also, if you know anything I could do this last year before I go to law school, that would be awesome....

legapp

• View Profile
Re: Public Interest Scholarship
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 10:25:11 AM »
I'm just really curious about this scholarship, I want to go into Criminal Prosecution and all of the connection opportunities sounded amazing, not to mention the fabulous financial rewards it offers.... Anyway, I was wondering how competitve this scholarship usually gets (I'm assuming very) and how much prior public service is taken into account, I mean, I know I can get a great letter of recommendation about my dedication towards public service, and I've done stuff with my sorority, but I have a strong feeling I haven't done anything big enough yet.  Also, if you know anything I could do this last year before I go to law school, that would be awesome....

I wish I knew more about this as well!  I, too, feel my prior experience is insufficient... I was planning on applying, but after looking at the three essays and finding my answers woefully inadequate, I think I probably won't.  Although I've been volunteering in family court for a few months, I have about three years when I did absolutely nothing.

If you have a year, I recommend seeking out volunteer opportunities in family court... I help with teaching court school, where children who may have to testify in court are taught the ropes.  It's through the Junior League, which I'm quite happy I joined.