Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Gonzaga vs other law schools  (Read 1778 times)

JackInTheBox

• Sr. Citizen
  • Eggnog and Pumpkin Pie Shakes Make Me In The Box
    • View Profile
    • Email
Gonzaga vs other law schools
« on: February 23, 2005, 12:37:53 PM »
Hello, I thought it would make more sense for me to post this question on this side of the fence, even though I am prelaw.

I have been offered a nice scholarship at Gonzaga, but have been accepted at other schools.  Given what you know about schools and job placement, can any of you give me advice?

The other schools I've been accepted to are not offering scholarships, but include:

Vermont (#1 enviro prog)
Stetson
Denver
Miami
Seattle U
U. San Diego
Campbell

Thanks for your help; the scholarship is attractive.  I don't have a lot of money.  I just don't want to go to a school where I am screwed from the start, because of the school.  Even if you just want to offer information on Gonzaga, please help.  Thanks.

JackInTheBox

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Gonzaga vs other law schools
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2005, 05:55:33 PM »
So no one here goes to Gonzaga?  Or any of these other schools? 

kristin1644

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2005, 10:47:50 PM »
I don't know anything about any of the schools you listed. I know scholarships are tempting.  However, I think you need to look at which school has the kind of program you want.  It sucks to have to borrow over $100,000 for law school, but remember that you'll be making enough after to pay it back.  So choose your school based on how it matches up with what kind of law you want to practice.  Much better to attend a school with a good program and pay then attend a school you're not sure about for a scholarship. 

BigSmellyBozo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2005, 12:26:12 AM »

I'm a 1L at Gonzaga and I can say it is not as bad as the tier 4 ranking indicates.  My Contracts and Property professors are terrible.  All of my other professors have been anywhere from good to outstanding.  The students are a nice mix of partyers, gunners and the normal folk.  There is a nice environment for learning, but don't expect alot of high minded discussions of law in the halls.

That said, I would go to USD if I were you.  It's a very solid law school in a great location.

JackInTheBox

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2005, 09:32:36 PM »
really, bigsmelly?  thanks for your help.
it is a huge debate in my life.  the scholarship, combined with my GI bill, will almost eliminate all tuition at gonzaga.

BigSmellyBozo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2005, 01:02:01 AM »
OK.  Reading my post I made Gonzaga sound pretty terrible.  I have made some great friends.  I have had a couple of professors that are world-class (could thrive anywhere) and the school has a very strong public service bent.  Gonzaga has some great things going for it.  However, it is a regional law school and most of the placement is in the Inland Northwest for the average student and in the Northwest-at-large for the exceptional student.  Don't expect to place well if you do not plan to be in the Northwest.

There is some cachet associated with the basketball team.  The clinical prgram is outstanding.  The school is truely dedicated to public service (there is a public service requirement and a PS ethos).  The professors are very accessible.  The people are friendly.

Depending upon what you are looking for it could be great or not.

JackInTheBox

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2005, 11:37:48 AM »
Thanks Big.  I like the NW, and don't think I would mind growing old up there.  I imagine if you established yourself in Spokane, or wherever you ended up practicing, you could move up in the world of law and eventually move to other cities/areas?

Thanks for your help.

zaphod

• worst dressed sentient being in the galaxy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2005, 12:57:17 PM »
Just as another opinion, even though it's not one you'll like if you've settled on Gonzaga.  My old roommates brother went there (I think he's still there).  He graduated from Yale, 170 or 171 on his LSAT.  Only chose Gonzaga because that's where his family was, wife and kids and all.  Hates Gonzaga.  Says the profs are morons, and while he never told them, gets called out because he went to Yale.  From what I understand they have had problems relating to faculty and the like stemming from huge racism allegations in the 90's and are still building back up.  So there's one opinion for you.

And my opinion...I hate Spokane with a passion.  Big City problems but without the Big City perks.  Then again, I haven't spent much time there for a few years, so maybe it's changed...   
Don't Panic

stangjunky77

• MSN Messenger - gohuskersfan@msn.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - stangjunky77@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2005, 06:53:46 PM »
hello,
i do not go to gonzaga but am a senior at Eastern WA just a few miles away. My close friend and favorite prof. graduated from GU, hence i know several students at GU through him and they all dont complain a whole lot about the school but are all in support of the theory that if they had a choice they would have gone somewhere else. The campus is actually very very nice but small. parking is decent. the profs seem to sound ok.
the underlying problem is that there is no money in spokane, and none coming soon. (most stays on the west side of the state). everyone ive known to graduate from GU (75+ estimated) all still live in spokane. none has what id say is a high paying job and i can think of at least 7 that have graduated in last 3 or 4 years that have moved onto other jobs in the area and dont even practice law.

I dont know how this might help. but its my .02. If u dont mind making around 40-50k forever and living in spokane than id say GU is decent. if not id look at some other options. (SD would be my choice)

Some theorists around here suspect GU is only 4th tier because A) there is no money in Spokane. B) Washington has a difficult bar C) There are way to many colleges in an area this little and no one seems to leave, this includes GU law students who try and stay within the flooded law market. then u have the other undergraduate institutions who's classes cant find work so they go to law school somewhere else then come back to spokane.
Basically it is a highly educated area with out enough money/jobs to go around.
UGPA 3.51 (3.74) LSAT (none)

Bhoutros

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2005, 08:10:17 PM »
Thank you for all this information.

I want to live and work in the Puget Sound area when law school is complete. 

I really got inspired by the Gonzaga catalog.  I have been admitted but with no $.  I have sent a letter requesting that they look at the possibility of some assistance.

I have been accepted to U of Montana, also with no $, but the costs to attend is almost $9K less.  I believe U of MT is ranked higher than Gonzaga.

Between the two schools, what are your thoughts?  I am interested in Real Estate & Property and Taxation.  I don't want to work for a huge firm, and don't anticipate making huge $.   

I am a non-traditional, older student.