Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How many 1L's on this board will try out for Law Review this Spring?  (Read 3409 times)

jdmba2007

• View Profile
    • JD/MBA blog
How many 1L's on this board will try out for Law Review this Spring?

I know that the workload of those on Law Review can suck at times and the work itself as a 2L can be boring at times. However I think the advantages of being on law review (better access to jobs and clerkships after graduation) outweigh the costs. I will try to write on to Law Review in the Spring (you cannot grade on at my school).

Aonghus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: How many 1L's on this board will try out for Law Review this Spring?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2005, 04:19:14 AM »
I will only do law review if I grade on, and then I will do the absolute minimum required to have that *&^% on my resume.

jdmba2007

• View Profile
    • JD/MBA blog
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2005, 10:54:39 PM »
we cannot grade on at my school....  >:(

davial0

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2005, 12:44:50 AM »
At my school we get a score: 75% is based on grades and 25% is based on the writing competition, and the top 20 scores gets invited.

IrishAces

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2005, 10:27:15 AM »
I'm going to try to write-on (we don't have grade ons).  I have no real desire to do the journal, but every decent student at my school does a journal if not law review.  If you don't, you need to have a really great reason why or you won't even be looked at for interviews in the fall.  So, I'll bite the bullet and spend the week after finals writing I guess.  Ugh.

SLJ0720

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2005, 08:51:21 PM »
I am going to do the write-on competition.  At my school, aside from grading on, you can also get on by getting one of the top 2 grades in your legal writing class.  I have done pretty well, but it is doubtful I will be one of the top 2.  I think law review will not only be good for getting interviews, but also for improving writing ability.  Having to do a 60 page paper sucks though, although it will count for the upperclass writing requirement at my school. 

jdmba2007

• View Profile
    • JD/MBA blog
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2005, 12:19:13 AM »
what about doing law review AND moot court? Is that too much?

JD2MBGAY

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2005, 08:55:41 PM »
what about doing law review AND moot court? Is that too much?

What about you taking a hammer down to the beach and hammering some sand up your ass?  What about that?

Law v. US

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2005, 05:17:40 PM »
Wow, I just realized that in a few weeks the "1L Life" category will have expired! That went quick.

I attended the Notes Competition orientation meeting. First, I should know by now that any meeting that contains the word "orientation" in its title should be skipped. To my dismay, I didn't have to be at the meeting to get my packet. Also, the important information from the power point slides was in the packet (which I didn't have to be at the meeting to get).

Another hour wasted at a law school meeting that I'll never get back.

I now have my packet. My school is a grade-on, write-on law review. The only opportunity to get invited to law review is now, prior to becoming a 2L. As a result, I figured I should pick up the packet. To be honest, I have no idea if I'm going to complete my note. I know I would really enjoy researching and writing an academic paper with no worries about my GPA. The worst that happens in this scenario is no invitation to law review. Since I've never really gotten excited over law review, not making it on wouldn't crush me.

If I do actually get motivated, I'll do the research and maybe a rough outline. Then it will sit until I get my grades. I have no idea if I'll get the required GPA, so why finish the process until I know.

On grades: I have completely convinced myself that I'm going to lose my scholarship and be down at the bottom of my class at the end of this year. My mid-term provisional grades weren't that dismal, but I still haven't gotten over the shock of my Property grade. I was so sure that was my best grade and it sucked! Nevermind that I realized why my grade sucked (this prof is a major policy freak and I glossed over policy) and I've improved my pre-exam organization this year. Just because my mid-term grades were so-so, I'm positive I'm going to do horribly.

I suspect I'm not alone in the 1L world right now.

It's all over in less than a month.

IHEARTLS

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2005, 11:23:26 PM »
I'm doing the writing competition, only b/c my school as a "writing requirment" for graduation.  I can either (a) Write on a journal (b) Do moot court or (c) Take a ridiculous class that has a 30-35 page paper.

I might as well go out for a journal b/c I heard that when you interview, they only ask about your note and they don't even question your writing abilities...hey, s/he is on a journal...must be a great writer!  I really don't want to do it, but based on my other options, a law review or a journal will be more beneficial.