Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: HELP!!!  (Read 1617 times)

IrishAces

• View Profile
    • Email
HELP!!!
« on: February 22, 2005, 05:01:30 PM »
I'm lucky enough to be in the following dilemma.

I'm a 1L and have recently received offers from two firms.  One firm is very large and ranked in the top 100 most prestigious firms.  They don't practice in the area that I think I want to work in long term, but I don't have much experience in their practice areas.  The other firm is a smaller firm that practices in the area I am most interested in working in.  The smaller firm is more the type of place I could see myself long term.  The larger firm pays slightly more (though both pay very well).  I'm trying to decide whether it would be to my advantage to go for the more well known and prestigious firm or stick with the firm that's more focused on what I want to do and lose the name recognition for interviews next year.  Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

rapunzel

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: HELP!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2005, 09:23:24 PM »
IL jobs don't lead to full time offers.  So take the more prestigious job.  If you don't like it, you've learned something very valuable, and the smaller firm you like will be happy to interview you next year.  I was nervous when I turned down a similar job offer and the attorney I talked to quite sincerely wished me well and told me to remember his firm if things didn't work out with the one I picked. 

Some people are very comfortable ruling out big firms from the get-go, but it is easier to make a move from a big firm to something else later than it is to move "up".  (Assuming big firm money hasn't seeped into your veins and lifestyle making it hard to leave).

Good luck.

IrishAces

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2005, 12:00:06 AM »
Thanks for the input.  Rapunzel, burning bridges is probably my biggest concern in turning down the smaller firm.  It's nice hear that the attorney you spoke with from your smaller firm was so understanding.  I'm sort of hoping that if I make a similar decision I'll get a similar response.  Thanks again.

rapunzel

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2005, 09:37:42 PM »
Yeah, I spent an entire day staring at my phone once I had made my decision to turn down two firms.  I was very nervous.  But the attorneys could not have been nicer.  And if you do go back to the smaller firm you can honestly say, "I really considered you before, and now that I've spent a summer in biglaw, I'm really sure I want to work for you."