Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone accepted for Fall 2005  (Read 12194 times)

Ladybuglaw05

• GPA: 3.21 LSAT: 156
    • View Profile
Anyone accepted for Fall 2005
« on: February 17, 2005, 04:41:17 PM »
I got accepted 2/15.  I'm not sure if I'm going to attend, but I'd like to talk to some other prospective students ???

fooseball22

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Anyone accepted for Fall 2005
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2005, 05:13:10 PM »
You got accepted, how bad could it be?  In fact, you should be happy.  I myself have been rejected by Dayton and John Marshall (chi-town), waitlisted by golden gate and accepted by Barry($), Cooley and Appalachian.  As I am sure you can tell these are not cream of the crop schools and at first they were considered my safeties…but, unfortunately I applied before taking the LSATs, assuming that I would score as planned (mid-150’s give or take a few), completely disregarding Murphy’s law(big mistake) and sure enough I mis-bubbled a section….  While I did take the LSATs again this February (I took them the first time in dec.2004) I cannot see myself turning down the opportunity to go to law school, unless of course I scored a 160 on the feb. LSAT, which I’m pretty sure I didn’t do.  While some are squeamish about attending these schools I’m pretty confident that I can either transfer out or put myself in a position to do well after graduation.  What do you think?

Ladybuglaw05

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2005, 08:44:36 PM »
The only school that I know anything about is Cooley.  I know a lawyer who graduated from there and has made herself a comfortable career in OH, so wherever you go, if you do well you'll get a good job, & if you do well @ your 1st job it won't matter where u went to law school. I'm not crazy about the idea of transferring, it seems like it would be a huge hassle and I'm sure that as 1L's we'll have plenty on or minds! I also got int MSU, Cleveland-Marshall, & Thomas Jefferson.  Capital gave me $11k per yr though, so I'm really thinking about it.  I just wish that the rest of the schools that I've applied to would give me an answer... ::)

caplaw2008

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2005, 08:50:45 AM »
I've been accepted and will be headed there next fall.  I've talked to a lot of lawyers in the Columbus area and all have a lot of respect for capital.  I do know that they just recently hired a new Dean and they brought him in for one reason, to raise the bar passage rate up from 64%.  The word is that they are really going to be weeding out people in first year classes,.

alkiremays

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2005, 06:19:19 PM »
I'm dropping off my seat deposit on the 1st.  I've been waitlisted at OSU.  IF I were to get pulled - big IF from what I hear, I may reconsider Capital.  I went to the open house and liked it though. I liked the small and independent nature of the school.  I had a great conversation with the new Dean.  He was very talkative and interested and does seem to be hitting the alumni circuit hard.  It may mean very good things for Capital by the time we graduate.

Ladybuglaw05

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2005, 07:19:04 PM »
Is anyone planning on going to scholars day on April 16? I got an invite in the mail and I'm thinking about going.  I'm almost positive that'll I'll be going to Capital (otherwise Cleveland State), and I still haven't ben to the school. I'm also interesting in hearing comments from others who have visited!

caplaw2008

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2005, 10:02:09 PM »
I just mailed my seat deposit in the other day.  I also went to the Admited Students Day.  The school was a lot bigger than I thought.  From the outside it seemde small, but once you start walking around you realize how big it is.  Everyone seemed laid back and current students told us it was not cut-throat at all.  They said  in every class you got the people that are going for the A's, but you also have the people that are satisfied just getting B's and still maintaing a life.  I got a chance to have lunch with the Dean and he seems like a good guy.  He has been trying to raise a bunch of money from the alumni and I think he will really turn things around.  If anybody tries to give you crap about how tough it will be getting a job with Ohio State in the same city, just check out some of the firms in Columbus and see how many Capital grads are partners, you'll be surprised.

Anybody know of any good places to live, I'm moving from NC so I really don't know where the best places are around the school.

Ladybuglaw05

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2005, 10:21:56 PM »
Thanks for the info.  So far I haven't heard anything negative about Columbus job prospects.  My cousin just graduated from OSU Law last year, and she told me that Capital grads are highly sought after at her firm and many others.  She said that in Columbus OSU and Capital grads are roughly on the same playing field, the difference in the school's names really only applies when you leave the region.  I would say that Grandview and German Village are two good places to look.  German Village (just South of downtown) is closer, but Grandview is probably a little cheaper and its not far (North of the school).  Luckily I won't have to look for a place to live b/c I'll be able to move in w/ a friend who lives there.

caplaw2008

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2005, 10:02:47 AM »
Thanks for the ideas on places to live.  I just read an article last week from a business journal in Columbus and it ranked the top 70 lawyers in Colubmus based on peer evalutations.  Capital graduates had 31 of the 70, pretty impressive.

alkiremays

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2005, 11:01:01 AM »
We should try to get together when you guys get into town.  I live in Columbus but I'm not originally from here.  I know my way around relatively well.  I'd be happy to help however I can.