Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Class of 2008  (Read 8468 times)

OscarD

• View Profile
    • Email
Class of 2008
« on: February 09, 2005, 10:55:09 AM »
Any fellow members of the class of 2008 out there? If so, why did you choose Hastings?

kurt

• View Profile
Re: Class of 2008
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2005, 03:30:40 AM »
I've been accepted for fall 05.  I'm not 100% that I will attend UCH yet, but there is a very good chance I will.  I picked Hastings for a few reasons: location, I live in Houston and I would like to live/practice in CA; reputation, for not being a top 20 it still has a very good reputation; staff, I met some of the admissions staff at a LSAC law school conference in nov 2003 and I really liked them, especially compared to some of the other schools; and recommendation, an old business lawyer I know, who is also a partner at a good sized firm and a Harvard grad, who I have talked to about law schools and such recommended applying to Hastings before I ever mentioned it.

What about you?  Are you going to attend either of the admitted student open house days in March or April?  I'm trying to make it to the April one. 

zakrob

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2005, 12:02:53 PM »
I've also been accepted for fall and I plan to attend. I'll be going to the admitted students day on Mar 26th. I chose Hastings because it is a good fit for me personally. I love SF and eventually want to practice in the bay area. Also, my husband wants to attend UCSF for a masters nursing program, so he really wanted me to go to Hastings. I have a good friend who graduated from Hastings in May and he also encouraged me to attend (and he'll give me all his outlines, etc :D)
Fortune cookie wisdom: No one knows what she can do until she tries

Masticatrix

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2005, 01:03:01 PM »
I'm biting the bullet and committing to three years in San Francisco today.  It was a pretty easy choice to make- my boyfriend and I both desperately want to move back to (and settle in) California, all of my family is in the Bay Area, SF is an awesome city that I'd love to work in post-graduation, and I didn't get into Boalt  ;)
Attending: Hastings

TigerLoo

Grubesac

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2005, 11:48:22 AM »
I thought maybe I could get this discussion going again, perhaps make a few contacts before I make my way to SF. I'll be attending Hastings come August and I'm really excited for all of the opportunities to become involved outside of class in the legal arena. I learned a lot durning undergrad in terms of the importance of contacts, and these opportunities to rub elbows with city officials, judges, etc. will come in very handy when looking for work.

And thats what it always comes back to...work. Where, when, and what is the essence of our existence. I think I'm giving up law, and I'm pursuing my interest in becoming a Super Hero instead.

So what has you all jazzed about Hastings and the study of law? Its true, but all of us probably are Boalt/Standford/UCLA rejects and so have we all merely "ended up" at Hastings, no excitement for our institution. Afterall, it is 'our' institution now, from here on out we shall regard Hastings with Pride and Reverence...we graduated Thomas Messerau for the god sakes and if he doesn't scream integrity and pride, then I don't know what.

fraea

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2005, 04:53:06 AM »
I thought maybe I could get this discussion going again, perhaps make a few contacts before I make my way to SF. I'll be attending Hastings come August and I'm really excited for all of the opportunities to become involved outside of class in the legal arena. I learned a lot durning undergrad in terms of the importance of contacts, and these opportunities to rub elbows with city officials, judges, etc. will come in very handy when looking for work.

And thats what it always comes back to...work. Where, when, and what is the essence of our existence. I think I'm giving up law, and I'm pursuing my interest in becoming a Super Hero instead.

So what has you all jazzed about Hastings and the study of law? Its true, but all of us probably are Boalt/Standford/UCLA rejects and so have we all merely "ended up" at Hastings, no excitement for our institution. Afterall, it is 'our' institution now, from here on out we shall regard Hastings with Pride and Reverence...we graduated Thomas Messerau for the god sakes and if he doesn't scream integrity and pride, then I don't know what.

i'm a cal grad, 2L at hastings--just wandering onto your conversation :)... yes it's true, many people at hastings are boalt/stanford rejects, but i think once you start classes and see how rigorous the classes are, how smart your classmates are, you forget about your law school application and focus on what's ahead. you realize you will be a good lawyer, and make money or contribute to the public good regardless of which school you go to. i really wouldn't sweat it. there's enough difficulties you will face in life than worry about ratings and such. if you want to worry about it, fine. put that competitive energy into something positive: try get good grades your first two semesters, then transfer. honestly if you keep worrying you will expend precious energy that you need to focus on your work.

what has me jazzed up about hastings is that it is a public school with exceptional faculty (who, by the way, we often share with boalt/stanford/golden gate/usf), and classmates who will make you proud. it is california's first public law school and even served as the de facto law school for Hawaii until 1970s (so if you have any inclination to practice in Hawaii, know that you will be much more welcome than any other mainland grads). hastings also has the most number alums sitting as judges in california courts (i think something like 1/3 of them are from hastings) which is real nice when you're applying for those clerkships.

good luck with your first semester!
ym

OscarD

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2005, 01:07:16 AM »
Thanks for the words of wisdom, Fraea  ;D I think it's hillarious that so many pre-1L's obsess over rankings without ever thinking about the more substantive aspects of a law school education. Personally I just feel fortunate to have the opportubity to study something I enjoy and to pursue a career where I'll have the opportuity to do some good. Plus, I'm stoked to be heading to school in what is easily the coolest and most vibrant city on the West Coast (God, I'm so over you Orange County)

Yo, Grubesac. . .you sound cool. I read your posts and I can sympathize with some of the doubts/questions you're having. I know I've gone back and forth over if I'm doing the right thing by entering law school. I sure as hell don't want to end up as some over worked, materialistic, billable hours chasing, career-obessesed, can't-have-a-decent-relationship-cause-I-live-in-my-office, typical lawyer. But truthfully that's just one type of lawyer. (A type I have no desire to be). There are so many other worthwhile and impactful things to do with law. Don't forget, we determine our careers, our careers do not determine us. With the right priorities, and a clear sense of balance I'm absolutely sure that it is possible to have both a humane law school experience and a humane law career.

Where are you from?

Grubesac

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2005, 11:50:24 AM »
Oscar, I like you man. You're crazy - Will Farrell Voice -

I am from the most wholesome place on earth, Central Minesota. Most recently I hail from Minneapolis.

I've done a lot of soul searching the past three months and have arrived back where I started, which is a good thing. It makes me confident in my choices.

I just found out that I got an apartment in the Tower and I couldn't be happier. I'll be on the 14th floor looking east over the bay. The sun will greet me in the morning. What's your situation on living quarters, etc? Where are you from? There are some other LSDers that have been planning happy hours around the area, I suggest we join them.

OscarD

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2005, 04:10:58 PM »
Central Minnesota. . .wow, that's like a whole different planet. I must admit there is something so all-American, drive a Buick, squeaky clean to the Midwest. I'm from Orange County, Southern California, a very pretty but very shallow place. I graduated college last May having studied political philosophy and sociology. I decided to take a year off before law school (mostly 'cause I waited till June to take the LSAT) so I went travelling. I did my law school apps online while on the road and Hastings was actually my first choice--I'm starting to realize that makes me somewhat unique since most people use Hastings as a tier 1 back up school. Which brings me to here and now.

I'm going to be living in the tower too. I'm on the 7th floor in a studio. I have no idea if I have a view or not--it would be sweet if I did. It sounds like your view is going to be killer. What size apartment do you have? Have you corresponded with other soon to be Hastings folks? I'm all for happy hours--fill me in on any details you know of.
--Oscar

Grubesac

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2005, 05:07:59 PM »
I have a 397 sq ft studio. There are some posters on the Pre-Law side of this site that seem to be working out happy hours. They've done a few and are kicking around the idea of one in August. I think its under SF Happy Hour or something. We'll have to kick it in the Tower. Good times.