Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 1L Poll: How was your first semester?  (Read 2184 times)

jdmba2007

• View Profile
    • JD/MBA blog
1L Poll: How was your first semester?
« on: February 08, 2005, 03:59:03 PM »
Is law school what you expected? Are you still happy you chose to attend? Do you like your classmates?

Personally I am loving law school and could not be happier

klaw

• View Profile
Re: 1L Poll: How was your first semester?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2005, 05:11:41 PM »
Law school is generally pretty bad. The brutal curve at my school ensured a B- average and I had two professors who decided not to give out any As at all. I feel like I know the material very well, but I have *&^% to show for it. I was an award-winning writer before law school, so it's really humbling to be told that you can't write: at least LEGALLY. Half the time I don't get much out of lecture and I feel like I could just read the cases and be just as well off. Some of the profs are good, but others definitely just phone it in.

I moved to a new place to go to school and the only social events are happy hours where nobody can hear themselves think, nevermind talking with other people. Since most people are regional, they have their own groups of friends and while they'll talk to you and be friendly in class, they're loathe to reach out and include anyone not already in the circle. Oh, and books that we need for our legal writing class are regularly stolen from the library by some of the class assholes. Basically, you're surrounded by all those pricks on the debate team from high school. Even if some of those people were your friends, imagine being surrounded by the same 75 people who are basically just like that. EVERYDAY, for about 6-8 hours a day.

Downey Slayer's Dick

• Please don't make fun of me, Mr. President
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2005, 06:54:16 PM »
It's been stressful and Downey Slayer has been giving me a beating.

NORMLAW

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2005, 07:31:12 PM »
What school is Klaw from? Sounds rough, like my school.

As for liking law school - I freaking hate it. I'm doing well; but, come one. They could go about teaching this stuff a lot better. Too busy caught up with maintaining the status quo and peddling socrates dead method. They should be focusing on the material, why its important, and how to use it in practice. Practical knowledge is where its at.

Lets get real here people. Rocket scientists don't learn by the socratic method, so why should we? This *&^% isn't exactly rocket science, if you feel where I'm coming from. Any boob with college level reading skills can succeed. Why belabor a method utilized in a time when the information age was only a far off dream? They should save their circular reasoning in support of continuing the use of this method for a group more easily persuaded - kindergartners.  ;)

IHEARTLS

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2005, 08:15:24 PM »
I like law school and the material that I am learning, I just dislike THIS law school.

People are rude.

People bump into me in the halls or restrooms on a daily basis and do NOT say, "Excuse me."  This is REALLY starting to bother me.

People give me dirty looks/roll their eyes.

People sigh if I take a moment to collect my thoughts when I am called on in class.

No one in my section really talks to me...maybe they feel like they don't know how since I am the only female from a certain ethnic group in a section of 79.  And since I spend the majority of my time with the same 79 folks, I have virtually no contact with the rest of my class.

I used to try to engage people in conversation, you know, trying to get to know my sectionmates, but the conversations were forced and I could tell that the people were not interested in talking to me so I now leave them alone.

The only people that I interract with are 2Ls and 3Ls and I only see them MAYBE once every week at a social gathering.

Nightlife in this town is pathetic...unless your down with the whole frat party/bar hopping scene.

The list goes on and on...I hate this place.

klaw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2005, 09:00:41 PM »
Yeah, my experience is a lot like 1LWhit's. I tried talking to people, but it just became very forced and perfunctory. I mean, how many times can you female dog about the Crim reading? Or talk about the memo?

I hate the section bull. It feels like high school, and I was over that before I even graduated high school. There are the same groups of jocks, pretty blond girls, etc.

I also hate the fact that I seem to get called on more than others. In two classes in one week, the profs grilled me for half the class. I did fine, but there are people in the class that didn't get called on ALL LAST SEMESTER and there are people that get called on for one question only and then the prof leaves them alone. It's f-ing ridiculous.

duma

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2005, 11:49:40 PM »
I don't mind school. I just wish there wasn't a forced curve.

jdmba2007

• View Profile
    • JD/MBA blog
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2005, 01:43:29 AM »
1LWhit,

Sorry to hear about your experience thus far. People can be very ignorrant and rude sometimes. It sounds like your school is not very diverse. What part of the country is it in?

IHEARTLS

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2005, 11:30:39 AM »
1LWhit,

Sorry to hear about your experience thus far. People can be very ignorrant and rude sometimes. It sounds like your school is not very diverse. What part of the country is it in?

You're right, this school is not very diverse, but I've been in many non-diverse settings and this one has to be the worst.  I'm in the Midwest, in Illinois.

jdmba2007

• View Profile
    • JD/MBA blog
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2005, 11:58:50 PM »
Sorry to hear that. I am also in the midwest. the city I  am in is not that diverse but the school itself is