Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I've gotta get out of this place  (Read 6361 times)

bhvexille

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: I've gotta get out of this place
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2005, 06:46:25 PM »
Can you really get in-state after 1 year at UT?  I heard that you have to live in texas for a year without going to school in order to get residency for tuition purposes, which makes it all but impossible for law students

missvelociraptor

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2005, 10:52:23 PM »
Can you really get in-state after 1 year at UT? I heard that you have to live in texas for a year without going to school in order to get residency for tuition purposes, which makes it all but impossible for law students

yes, this is true for application purposes. However, you can obtain residency after enrolling in law school if you are employed throughout your first year, as well establishing proof of domicile ( i would assume this would include getting a TX driver's license and voter registration) during this 12 month period in order to be reclassified as a resident. Summers and vacation work doesn't count, btw, you have to be employed for the entire year if you want it to count.

bhvexille

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2005, 09:36:13 AM »
IC, and how many hours per week would that require?  Would I be able to "work" 5 hours a week or something?  And it definitely has to be paid work?  Volunteering doesn't count?  thanks

rapunzel

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2005, 07:19:08 PM »
You could marry a Texan.  In many states a spouse who is employed can get you residency.  Worked when I moved to PA.

bhvexille

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2005, 08:17:07 PM »
That's how I got my greencard, I don't know if it will work twice

Haha (just kidding)

missvelociraptor

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2005, 05:15:16 PM »
IC, and how many hours per week would that require? Would I be able to "work" 5 hours a week or something? And it definitely has to be paid work? Volunteering doesn't count? thanks

Nah. volunteering doesn't count.  You have to be 'gainfully employed,' whatever that means. There doesn't seem to be min-max of hours worked to qualify as 'gainfully employed.' I suppose if you get a decent part time job that requires little in the way of actual work, that could count.  http://www.thecb.state.tx.us/reports/pdf/0183.pdf has all of the regulations and such regarding residency matters.  There is also a shitload of nonresident waivers.  See if you qualify for them, then you might not have to go through all the hassle of getting a job or marrying a texan.

GogoYubari

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2005, 11:22:34 PM »
Wow, this is fairly unsettling.  I'm pretty much set on the school you can't wait to get away from.  Hmm.

:-\

urguya

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2005, 08:15:40 PM »
Actually, OK, one more thought...supplanting my previous no comment. For people out there applying as a 1L or as a transfer, and considering my recently revealed institution of higher education, I must provide this disclaimer: There are reasons to go to this school. The faculty is brilliant; being taught as a 1L by the legal equivalent of Olympians is both terrifying and exciting. And wonderful. This faculty knows their *&^%. They really know their *&^%. And my classmates are very smart, at least very smart in the way people with high LSAT scores and near limitless capacity for information gathering are very smart (but hey, that's as smart as law students get- we're not expected to be brillaint theorists, only brilliant technicians [which, by the way explains a great deal of my distress in law school. I wanted law to be righteous, and it's only functional]). Anyway, my point is, it's a great school. But only great for people who are highly competitive, pretty d**mn conservative, know they're going to work in BigLaw and have no interest in doing anything else, a little nerdy, and yes, "intense." I don't like it here, but there are people who really do, who wouldn't trade it for anything, and I actually envy them. So, if you've seen The Paper Chase a few too many times and have thought to yourself, "gee I wish there were still professors like Kingsfield, schools like Harvard before it went soft... because, d**mnit I could kick ass in a place like that," well, have I got a school for you.

So what is this school exactly that everyone keeps talking about?  Is is Chicago U?  Please,  marcel1922 or someone else explain this.  You've really got me mystified.  :-\

caffedelmar

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2006, 07:31:41 PM »
Wow.  so chicago sucks that hard eh.

Indeed, Chicago's schools are ultra conservative. Especially John Marshall, Kent, Loyola (Jesuit affiliation), DePaul (Catholic), comparable to Cardozo and Brooklyn.

blocke123

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2006, 02:01:16 PM »
You could marry a Texan.  In many states a spouse who is employed can get you residency.  Worked when I moved to PA.

Do you know if this works for Iowa?  My wife is going to work there full time while i go to law school.
Wants to meet me under the bleachers: DePaul ($$$), John Marshall ($$$ withdrawn), American, Miami (withdrawn), IOWA, Kent ($$)
Wants to meet me by the bike rack: Indiana
Told me they need to wash their hair: Loyola