Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Best School for Students Who Hate Law School?  (Read 2625 times)

nezhin

• View Profile
    • Email
Best School for Students Who Hate Law School?
« on: February 01, 2005, 01:25:52 PM »
I'm a 1L at a top-20 law school, and I absolutely hate it.  I knew I wouldn't like law school, and tried to pick one that I thought would soften that blow...I miscalculated.

Does anyone think their school would be an ideal place for me to transfer?  I don't want to say where I am at, so if anyone here recommends here, I can compare with other schools.

Thanks!

zemog

• Sr. Citizen
  • Evening PT 2L at a third tier toilet
    • View Profile
Re: Best School for Students Who Hate Law School?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2005, 02:06:23 PM »
I think you need to be more specific as to what you don't like about the school.  How are we suppose to know if you would like our school if we don't know what is driving you away from yours. (Is it the students because they are not friendly, is it because the teachers are elistest a-holes, is it the traffic to and from school??????)

nezhin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2005, 02:53:45 PM »
Good point: I want a school where when faculty are interviewed, they first get asked- "What's your teaching philosophy?" rather than "What have you published?" 

A school without a blinders-on approach to anything but Big-Law jobs.

Responsive faculty and friendly students?  That'd be nice, too.

Boxergirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • gpa 3.45/lsat 156
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2005, 04:39:51 PM »
why the hell are you IN law school if you hate it?
it's not like it's a bowl full of daisies each day for anyone else anyway.

joe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2005, 07:20:33 PM »
Seriously man, SHUT the **** up!  What are you complaining for?

I'm at Cooley okay.  I'm the only one who should be complaining!

I'm a 1L at a top-20 law school, and I absolutely hate it.  I knew I wouldn't like law school, and tried to pick one that I thought would soften that blow...I miscalculated.

Does anyone think their school would be an ideal place for me to transfer?  I don't want to say where I am at, so if anyone here recommends here, I can compare with other schools.

Thanks!

mstiger

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2005, 08:04:06 PM »
Hi Nezhin:

Feel your pain.  See my post titled "Keeping Spirits High." 

I agree w/ you that schools need to focus more on the actual teaching ability of these professors rather than how many publications they have regurtitated out.

I have talked to some other people outside of my school and this board about it and have come up w/ this strategy:

1) Grin and bear it
2) Focus more on getting something out of the academic aspect and future career prospects of the school and look for support and comfort from friends outside school.  If I need specific, classroom help, I rely more on myself, then my study group, and then lastly the professors.

camelbx

• 164/2.95
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2005, 10:00:17 PM »
Baylor is the marine boot camp of law schools.

nezhin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2005, 10:14:49 AM »
In response: I chose to go to law school because I have a genuine interest in the law and philosophy of the law, and wanted to learn about it.  Where I currently am, class is just a farce, and the real learning takes place from hornbooks.  The professors have no teaching skill whatsoever.  There is no socratic method- just disorganized lecture and uncomfortably forced questions that don't further understanding.

Sorry I expected more out of law school, and a top 20 specifically.  I don't want a biglaw job, I want to know the law and how to use it.

So, again I ask, anyone think their school is really good for this?

zemog

• Sr. Citizen
  • Evening PT 2L at a third tier toilet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2005, 02:40:41 PM »
I think you should do it through process of elimination.  I think generally, despite some harsh weeding out curves, the lower the tier, the more "nice" the people and professors will be.  At my school, the professors are so willing to help because schools that are lower in tier really want you to succeed (because most students don't, either because the people that go to lower tiers are not as commited, either because they just aren't smart, whatever the reason). 

Pick a geographical area you want to practice in because as you come out of the top tier 1, your best job prospects will be in your local area.

Then maybe see the calibur of professors there (did they go to good schools, etc), and maybe email them and see how they respond. 

Once you narrowed down the school you "think" may be what you want, then post it here and hopefully someone that goes there can give you some more information. 

I think transferring down will not be problem.  You may even be able to get a full ride, if you try to negotiate with them. 

Good luck. 

Me

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2005, 03:55:33 PM »
Ok, so I love law school, specifically my school. I go to the University of Arizona. I don't know a single student here who does not love it. The faculty members are awesome, appraochable, and for the most part excellent teachers.
The school does not focus solely on biglaw. For example, tomorrow there is a public interest and government career fair. About 60 employers will be present. Many of the students go into biglaw, but now all, and career services will help you find a job anywhere you'd like.
I believe UA is ranked 43 this year, so if you transfer, you'll at least still be in the 1st tier. It's all up to you.
When I was looking at law schools it helped to visit them. You should visit, tour the campus, and sit in on a class. I think you'll like it.
Also, I'm not sure where you are, but the weather here is beautiful.  Not too hot, not too cold (at least during the school year. And, if you like to ski and board, it's only a 30 minute drive to Ski Valley.
Hope this helps.