Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: top 25%--chances of transferring  (Read 3138 times)

akers80

• View Profile
top 25%--chances of transferring
« on: February 01, 2005, 02:35:13 AM »
Hey.

I was wondering whether it would be worth my time trying to transfer--my fiance is starting dental school in NY, Penn or MD next year and I am in LA at USC. I really want to move near him, but not at the expense of going to a worse school. I just got my first semester grades and i have a 3.4 which i think is top 25%--do you think there is a chance i could get into NYU, CLS, GULC or penn??

Any advice would be wonderful! thanks

ruskiegirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
Re: top 25%--chances of transferring
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2005, 02:45:55 AM »
Hey.

I was wondering whether it would be worth my time trying to transfer--my fiance is starting dental school in NY, Penn or MD next year and I am in LA at USC. I really want to move near him, but not at the expense of going to a worse school. I just got my first semester grades and i have a 3.4 which i think is top 25%--do you think there is a chance i could get into NYU, CLS, GULC or penn??

Any advice would be wonderful! thanks

Transferring, even with top grades is a difficult matter, because schools usually only take a handful each year.  If I had to guess, I would say you have a good shot at getting GULC and NYU, CLS will be slightly more difficult.  Even so, apply, be condifent and things are likely to work out to your satisfaction.

Congrats on the solid GPA from a great school! 

You seem to be considering a transfer out of necessity, but how do you like USC?

strangelove

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2005, 06:57:44 PM »
is there a GENERAL class rank scale that one might need to transfer from T4-T3, or T3-T2 etc.? e.g., top 1/3 from T4-T3, top 1/10 from T4-T2 etc?...

ruskiegirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2005, 09:06:26 PM »
is there a GENERAL class rank scale that one might need to transfer from T4-T3, or T3-T2 etc.? e.g., top 1/3 from T4-T3, top 1/10 from T4-T2 etc?...

I would say that to be safe you would have to be in the top 10% if you're out of T1, although they would probably consider someone in the top 25%.

strangelove

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2005, 12:53:27 PM »
do you mean to get into T-1?  what about T-4 to T-3, or T-3 to T-2-- would they expect top 10% also?  i was thinking maybe they just wanted like top 1/3 or top 1/4 to move from the bottom of the law school barrel to slightly higher than the bottom (T-4 to T-3).

ruskiegirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2005, 03:29:26 PM »
do you mean to get into T-1?  what about T-4 to T-3, or T-3 to T-2-- would they expect top 10% also?  i was thinking maybe they just wanted like top 1/3 or top 1/4 to move from the bottom of the law school barrel to slightly higher than the bottom (T-4 to T-3).

Ooops, sorry, I misunderstood your question.  I don't know much about transfer requirements in the lower tier schools, but I think most schools have them listed on their website.