Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: ENTERING CLASS OF 2005-2006  (Read 13803 times)

gemesq

• View Profile
ENTERING CLASS OF 2005-2006
« on: January 28, 2005, 04:04:52 PM »
Has anyone else out there been admitted to McGeorge for the upcoming year?  I thought I would start a new discussion thread for admits. I applied to and was accepted in the evening division for the upcoming year....can't wait!   
"Oh, I'm sorry, you must have been absent the day they taught law at law school..." Tom Cruise, A Few Good Men

ninalyn

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: ENTERING CLASS OF 2005-2006
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2005, 12:40:46 AM »
I was admitted to the full-time day program for next year.  I haven't decided if I'm going there yet, though.

Congrats on your acceptance, though.  Are you pretty much decided that this is the school you'll be attending in the Fall?

gemesq

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2005, 11:47:54 AM »
Yes- McGeorge is the only school I applied to.  Sounds crazy, huh?  I own a home here in Sacramento and I am a paralegal at a great firm here with future opportunity, so it wasn't really up for debate where I would attend law school.  That being said, McGeorge is a great school and if you want to work and live in this area, most of the attorneys here went to McGeorge and it gives you an advantage in seeking a job.  If you decide to go to McGeorge and need any ideas about where to live, let me know.
"Oh, I'm sorry, you must have been absent the day they taught law at law school..." Tom Cruise, A Few Good Men

the clash

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2005, 06:12:43 PM »
I was admitted to the full-time program as well, and will be mailing my confirmation next week.  The Dean's Scholarship money sealed the deal for me, but I probably would have gone anyways.  I didn't make it to either of the legal scholars days, but I'll be at the Law Day in April.  I sat in on Professor Pingree's 1L torts class at the beginning of the semester and was very impressed.  Everyone was very friendly and helpful, I look forward to attending McGeorge in the fall. 

gibbsale

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2005, 04:12:47 AM »
 I am seriously considering McGeorge. I plan on visiting next month on my way back to MI (my flight from Hong Kong stops over in SF, so I figure it is worth checking out). What are your thoughts? Is Sacramento relatively affordable? Pretty decent rep for the school in the state? I am interested in working in the pacific northwest or mountain area after finishing (if I go to McGeorge); prospects are good I hope?

the clash

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2005, 02:10:44 PM »
As far as California goes, Sacramento is affordable (much more so than the bay area.)  It is definitely a regional school, but it has a good reputation.  For what it's worth, the new US News rankings lists McGeorge at 90 (now above both Santa Clara & USF) and from what I hear it was largely under-ranked for a while.

gemesq

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2005, 11:16:13 AM »
I just read about McGeorge's new ranking as well.  McGeorge is now considered a Tier 2 school.  If you are still undecided, keep in mind that McGeorge is a regional school, so if you are planning on working somewhere on the west coast, your degree from McGeorge will be recognized.  If you plan on working in the Sacramento area, you will have an enormous advantage by going to McGeorge.  I am a paralegal in Sacramento, and I can tell you that almost all the attorneys I have met or interacted with went to McGeorge.  As far as cost of living, Sacramento is still relatively cheap in comparison to San Francisco, LA and San Diego.  However, the housing prices have jumped significantly in the last few years.  My home value has almost doubled.  Apartments are still affordable though.  You can get a nice 1 bedroom in the midtown area (close to all the nightlife) for around $600-$800/month.  If you decide to attend McGeorge, I can give you some ideas about where you want to live in Sacramento. Good luck in deciding!

I65Stang

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2005, 03:32:25 PM »
I too will be in the evening division this fall.  McGeorge was the only school I applied to too as I love it here, plus I can keep my current full time job and still go to law school  :D.  I'm going to go to Law Day this weekend too.

eltipton

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2005, 09:49:18 PM »
Hello all,
I'll be attending McGeorge in the fall, and I was wondering if we could organize a little get together before orientation in August if anyone is interested- maybe meet up at a coffee shop or bar.  I'm moving across country and I won't know anyone- so I'd appreciate some familiar faces before orientation begins!

If anyone is interested, post a note, or we could start a new thread I suppose.

See you in the fall!

the clash

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2005, 06:48:18 PM »
I might be down to meet up at a bar (if enough people went), does anyone know the cool bars in Sac?  I went to the limelight (a.k.a. slimelight) once -- I didn't think it was as bad as everyone said it would be.  Anyhow, put me down as a maybe.