Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Who do you think will win the battle between Sakai and Bobby Flay?

Sakai
 6 (50%)
Flay
 3 (25%)
What's Iron Chef
 1 (8.3%)
Wasn't this show taken off the air 3 years ago?
 2 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: Summer before 1L: What kind of prep would you recommend?  (Read 3119 times)

lipper

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Summer before 1L: What kind of prep would you recommend?
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2005, 12:04:18 AM »
honestly - there really isn't a whole lot u can do to prepare yourself for the experience of law school. sure, u can go buy study aids and all that, but it wont give u an all-out edge. i really think there isn't a way to prepare. so, that said, drink a lot the summer before. drink like u haven't drank before. dont get me wrong, u will have time to drink in LS, i go out every friday night. but the summer before is when u can do it and not feel the tremendous guilt that accompanies going out. also, summer before is when u can go out and get tanked and not suffer through a hangover in the library the next day.
check the footnotes ya'll

duma

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2005, 10:36:26 AM »
I would just spend some time with family and friends. You are about to enter a ride that will alienate you from most of them. Explain to them that you will not have much time until winter break, so you would like to see them as much as you can now.

Me

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2005, 03:43:32 PM »
If you really want to prep, I suggest you read a few study guides. For example, if you have property first semester get Examples and Explanations on Property. It won't guarantee that you'll have a huge edge over your other classmates, but it will help.  For example, when your professor starts talking about adverse possession, you'll have a basic understanding of what it is while your neighbor will be clueless.

On a side, but somewhat related, note... One of the very few students in my class who recieved straight As last semester is a former paralegal. And all the people who recieved As in Con Law were polical science majors.  Obviously prior knowledge does help.

rapunzel

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2005, 07:02:25 PM »
Take a speech class if you don't already have poise in public.  Save your classmates from having to strain to hear your mumblings.

I jest.  A little.

I must say I really wish we'd had a little workshop on public speaking before we started.  Proper breath support and projection of the voice are very simple to learn.  Perhaps it was because I was a lone former theatre major adrift in a sea of poli sci and business majors, but it really drove me crazy that 90% of my classmates couldn't read from their briefs in any sort of audible manner, let alone with style.  Ahhh, the classtime wasted with professors exhorting recalcitrant students to "speak up."  Until we all learned to tune each other out completely at any rate.

Sorry, a little rant felt good.

If I were giving advice to own first year self I might have wished I read a study guide or two.  But I imagine it would have been very dry out of context.  So I will second the notion that now is the time to relax, spend time with your family, and learn diaphramatic breathing.

ElizaB

• Sr. Citizen
  • What a sweet face?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2005, 11:54:24 AM »
Anybody take BarBri or any other LS prep course?  Did it help?
Attending: Texas

jdmba2007

• View Profile
    • JD/MBA blog
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2005, 12:50:51 AM »
I recommend working and trying to save as much money as possible since you will not be working as a 1L. If you are already rich then go on vacation. Honestly "preparation" will not help that much. I did not prepare at all and did VERY well my first semester.

x

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2005, 05:20:33 PM »

Aonghus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2005, 04:18:02 AM »
I wholeheartedly advocate having fun, get drunk, do stupid *&^%, enjoy yourself.  You may have time to do that *&^% once school starts, but youll probably feel guilty for it and if you do it anyway, you are likely to not do as well as you could have....

calm down.

joe

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2005, 09:55:21 PM »
Check the Pre-Law side of this forum.  There is tons of info there.

I'd say learn to type faster & relax.

Monkey

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2005, 10:35:26 PM »
1.  Find a 2L at your law school and really pick their brain.

2.  Figure out simple things like where you will park or the public transportation.  Walk through the law school if you can and get to know where everything is.  Spend a few hours, yes hours, wondering through the library.  Maybe even get a friendly library staffer to give you a tour.  If you can, even scope out where you will park your ass while studying. 

3.  GET YOUR LAPTOP ORGANIZED!  Buy a lap top and carrying case if you don't have one.  Your LS should contact you about configurations and software suggestions.  They will probably offer you some special deals, but don't wait until the week before school to figure this out.  If you haven't heard from them by June, call them.  You want to be able to sit down at your first class, turn on the laptop and start taking notes.  Believe me, the 1L's who did nothave a laptop or waited until the first day of class to turn it on for the first time were behind from day 1.

4.  Get your life in order....move and get settled in weeks before school starts.  Get doctor appointments out of the way, balance your checking account once and for all, get together your resume (yes you will need it sooner than you think), and your references.  Maybe even get started on your CHristmas shopping.  I know this sounds drastic, but the more time you free up for law school, the less stressed and easier it is.  You get the idea.

5.  Take a look at the school's website and figure out what student organizations you will be intersted in.  Then, that firs week of school, when you get bombarded with info, you can just ignore the ones that don't interest you.

6.  Buy some basic books and study guides on each of your subjects and read them.  I really, really, really wish I had done this.  If you can find out which casebook you are using, it is nice to have one that is keyed to that casebook.  But, you will probably not get that information until closer to the time school starts, so don't wait.  As mentioned before, the Exmaples and Explanations are nice.  Go to a university bookstore and check them out.  You will find some you like.  Then buy them used online, it is much cheaper.

7.  While on the subject of casebooks....if you get your reading list early enough, buy them online and get them early and start browsing through them.  I wouldn't really start reading cases right away, cause the profs may skip around a lot.

8.  What ever you do....make sure you have that first assigned reading done on the first day of class.  Know the cases cold, the facts, the issues, the holdings, etc.

9.  get a paperback black's law dictionary and use it while reading.  this will become your best friend the first few months.  Nobody explains the legal terms, you have to figure them out yourself.

10.  decide whether you are going to be a matyr and haul books around in a back pack or if yu are going to get a rolling case.  Most of the guys around here use a backpack and a shoulder laptop case.  Hardly any guys use wheels.  Many of the girls do....the books are jsut too d**mn heavy.  Whatever, just decide what you are going to do and get your backpacks and laptop cases now. 

Great post!  Thanks!!
Attending: W&M