Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

My outlook on getting off my waitlists is.....

Yeah Ill get off of the waitlist no problem!
 3 (13.6%)
I have a 50% chance getting off
 5 (22.7%)
We're talking slim to none
 10 (45.5%)
We're just talking NONE
 0 (0%)
No clue, its all just pure luck & ass kissing
 4 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Voting closed: April 30, 2004, 03:31:38 PM

Author Topic: Final Exam as a model for others.  (Read 1025 times)

duma

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Final Exam as a model for others.
« on: January 26, 2005, 10:25:05 PM »
I scored the highest on my Torts exam. My prof sent me, and four other people, a request to place our exams on reserve in the library. The idea is to give a model answer of the best essays that were given, in hope that others will see what they should have written.

My problem with this, it serves no benefit to me. We have a forced "C" curve where I got to school. If I am to share, and others learn, then that will shift the curve and possibly my grade. The clear answer then, is no.

The problem with a "no" answer is that I fear the repercussion. I wouldn't doubt that a no answer would be unfavorable in his/her opinion. This prof often gives student a hard time in class. I don't want to be tagged for such an event.

As you can see, I am stuck. So please, vote honestly. I have come here to ask a difficult question for me, from those that I do not attend school with, but have the same background.

Thanks!

duma

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Final Exam as a model for others.
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2005, 12:08:51 AM »
We have 2 final exams in Torts as there are two Tort classes ( Torts 1 and 2). But you have raised very good points, all of which I find strong reasoning.

I agree with all but the first. I think that others people that are taking Torts II with me, will read over the exam, including the top 10%. I plan to read the other 4 exams. I believe there is always room for improvement. I might just find something that they do, that I can easily duplicate.

However, I find your other opinions to outweigh the only one that I do not agree with. I will share my exam.

Thank you for your opinion, and the congrats.

duma

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2005, 12:47:35 AM »
My Responce:

<snip>

You have my permission to make full use of my exam answer. Short of disclosing who wrote it, it is yours do with as you wish (including, but not limited to, placing it on TWEN, or the library's web site).

<snip>

Best regards,
<duma>

Boxergirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • gpa 3.45/lsat 156
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2005, 02:37:02 AM »
Duma,

Get over yourself!

Your answer on a single exam does not relinquish the secret to excelling in law school...it simply gives a good answer, hitting all the issues with organizational thought, on a SINGLE fact pattern.  that's it...  and maybe you are smart, and maybe you were lucky... Whatever.  The fact is, even if one should MEMORIZE your answer...it means NOTHING.  The people in your class are DONE with Torts, so it doesn't matter.  And the people in the next upcoming class (aside from being no competition for you to begin with), will undoubtedly be given DIFFERENT torts questions, from which your "model answer" will have absolutely no impact.

So, don't presume that you have found the key.

Be humble, young grasshopper.

duma

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2005, 10:09:20 AM »
Get over yourself!
I was never above myself. I took this question to a place where, well frankly, it doesn't matter what I say or do becaue none of you know me. I never would have asked this of any of the people I go to school with.

Your answer on a single exam does not relinquish the secret to excelling in law school...it simply gives a good answer, hitting all the issues with organizational thought, on a SINGLE fact pattern.  that's it...  and maybe you are smart, and maybe you were lucky... Whatever.  The fact is, even if one should MEMORIZE your answer...it means NOTHING.  The people in your class are DONE with Torts, so it doesn't matter. 
Maybe it would tell them how to write better, maybe it wouldn't. At the time I made this post, I was thinking the formal. Up until TAS21 made a post, I thought it would matter. Also, the people in my class are not done with Torts, as we are in Torts 2.

And the people in the next upcoming class (aside from being no competition for you to begin with), will undoubtedly be given DIFFERENT torts questions, from which your "model answer" will have absolutely no impact.
There was never any concern with the next class. I don't believe I even suggested that.

So, don't presume that you have found the key.
I believe that I have a better approach them most of my class. This isn't my only high scoring exam.

Be humble, young grasshopper.
I agree. One should be just as humble in victory, as they would be in defeat. I have never mentioned a word of this to any of those that I attend school with. I only brought the question here because it was something I couldn't decide on. I had to give you the facts in order to give you a perspective.

duma

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2005, 11:37:30 AM »
Ok, Boxergirl.... you are right... I think. Perhaps my head was getting too big there. It reared its ugly head here first. They always say that someone's true character is given when no one else knows what they aer doing. Anyway, you have brought me back. Thanks for your post.

Boxergirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • gpa 3.45/lsat 156
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2005, 02:34:58 PM »
You're welcome.
Now, email me your Model Torts Answer so I can be enlightened.

taterstol

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 1L
    • AOL Instant Messenger - CoolDorky
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2005, 09:57:31 PM »
I think it's pretty tacky to refuse permission to post your exam answer as a model. It's an honor to be asked. Yes law school is a comptition and the curve matters, but to refuse to do something solely because it might help someone out in the future--and involves no sacrifice on your part--is a pretty crummy way to begin your legal career.

duma

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2005, 12:05:10 AM »
I think it's pretty tacky to refuse permission to post your exam answer as a model. It's an honor to be asked. Yes law school is a comptition and the curve matters, but to refuse to do something solely because it might help someone out in the future--and involves no sacrifice on your part--is a pretty crummy way to begin your legal career.
Yeah... I have come to that realization, and I have since moved on from it. At this point, you are just beating a dead horse. Besides, I have already given my permission to place it on reserve in the library.

As to sharing it here, if it placed online, I will post a link.

I am closing this thread. There isn't more to discuss, that hasn't been already said. To keep it open, it just to repeat the above post. I will not remove it, as that would be like "1984," and it is a great reminder for me.... about the ugly side.

Again, thanks boxergirl and TAS21 for bringing me back. It was, and is, a shameful moment. I learned early though, and it will not happen again.