Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Where to Live in Pitt  (Read 4851 times)

rapunzel

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Where to Live in Pitt
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2005, 07:25:20 PM »
Yeah, I just never see any attractive college grads on Murray Ave.

Shadyside is nice, if you want to pay for it.  It's also 10 minutes away from the same time of apartments for a lot less in neighborhoods like Friendship, Frick Park and Regent Square.

SleepyGuyYawn

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2005, 07:04:10 AM »
Hmmm... attractive post grads... that could work.

When I was in Pitt in November for a visit, I went to a small party that a law student was hosting at an apt in Regent Square.  It was a lot of fun.  I'm pretty sure I'll look at Regent Square and some other places as well as Shadyside.

Thanks for all the tips!

jomolungma

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2005, 10:47:57 AM »
I'll be attending Pitt this fall as well.  My wife and I are probably going to buy a house or condo, we'll be up at the end of this month to start looking.  Half of her family lives in Squirrel Hill and it's nice, but others are right - there's more life in Shadyside.  The Southside can be difficult to commute from but seems to be lively and up and coming... of course the strip district has great life but not sure if it's where you want to be during school... we've looked a little at Lawrenceville but the commute would be difficult by bus and it's a little too rundown for us.  Regent Square is an area we're looking in, as well as Greenfield, which is not the happening-est place in Pittsburgh but fits us nicely.

SleepyGuyYawn

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2005, 10:48:04 AM »
I just got back from Pitt, in fact.  I picked out a really great apartment in the heart of Shadyside.  But squirrel hill is really great too. 

And I think Regent Square is really a great place to look for a house/condo.  There's a decent amount of activity and shopping in Regent Square.  And it's a really short hop to Forbes and Murrey in Squirrel Hill. 

I personally think Greenfield is a little too boring, a little too far out, and a little too hilly (winter is probably hellish if you live in Greenfield) for my taste.  I'm not sure I'd be too hot on buying there myself.  And Lawrenceville and the strip district do seem a little shady.  I think I'd be sketched out to have to walk there at night much.

jomolungma

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2005, 07:20:11 PM »
I just got back from Pitt, in fact.  I picked out a really great apartment in the heart of Shadyside.  But squirrel hill is really great too. 

And I think Regent Square is really a great place to look for a house/condo.  There's a decent amount of activity and shopping in Regent Square.  And it's a really short hop to Forbes and Murrey in Squirrel Hill. 

I personally think Greenfield is a little too boring, a little too far out, and a little too hilly (winter is probably hellish if you live in Greenfield) for my taste.  I'm not sure I'd be too hot on buying there myself.  And Lawrenceville and the strip district do seem a little shady.  I think I'd be sketched out to have to walk there at night much.

Being from NYC has given me the false courage of being able to handle Pitt at night, that and a stint in Baghdad.  But you're right, and that's why we've eliminated those two.  As for Greenfield, it is quiet, but I'm not so sure it's far.  It's really just on the other side of the park from the University, along the river southwest of Squirrel Hill.  It would certainly be a big change from living in Manhattan but if we buy a house it will be with the intent of staying in Pitt after school and raising a family, so quiet and out of the way might be nice.  We were up in Pitt in March visiting the school and family.  My wife spent some time there as a kid and half her family is there, so she's much much much more familiar with it than I am.  However, I'm learning via the web and a big map.  We'll be up again in April and then probably a couple more times for housing related stuff.  We intend to be in place by August 1 though so we both have time to get settled, my wife in her job and me in Pittsburgh proper.

jomolungma

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2005, 06:25:07 PM »
Yea, I used to live on Cass Avenue in Detroit, which makes anyplace in Pittsburgh look like Chappaqua.

You very well could be right about Greenfield.  Perhaps it just looks farther than it is.  But when I was there I looked at a place in greenfield and knew it looked too far for me.  And it's so hilly.  But then, it would be a good place to have a family -- that's true. 

Good luck, anyhow.  I guess I'll surely see you this fall.

Detroit is certainly no picnic.  I've visited there a few times.  You are very right about the hills and Greenfield.  I think I could walk from Greenfield to school if it weren't for having to come back up that hill every day.  We're coming to Pitt in late April to house hunt so I'll probably know more in May as to where we'll be.  I'm sure we'll run into each other this fall as well.